• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chasing SINAD

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
the yamaha streamer has a dac and is a preamplifier. The okto8 is a dac/digital preamp. Minidsp I am not familiar with the 'studio' designation, but if it is similiar to the other products it has DAC and preamp function.
Please don’t assume. It’s easy to look up these products online. The MiniDSP SHD Studio does not have a DAC built in.

Why do we need to continue to pile on? What has @waynel done to deserve your ire?

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the yamaha streamer has a dac and is a preamplifier. The okto8 is a dac/digital preamp. Minidsp I am not familiar with the 'studio' designation, but if it is similiar to the other products it has DAC and preamp function.
The Yamaha streamer has no bass management ,crossover, or room correction . I only use it because I don’t like the functionality of Volumio . The SHD studio has no DAC (except for the headphone jack).

D

Deleted member 19195

Please don’t assume. It’s easy to look up these products online. The MiniDSP SHD Studio does not have a DAC built in.

Why do we need to continue to pile on? What has @waynel done to deserve your ire?

I have no idea what you are talking about.

D

Deleted member 19195

The Yamaha streamer has no bass management ,crossover, or room correction . I only use it because I don’t like the functionality of Volumio . The SHD studio has no DAC (except for the headphone jack).

thanks for the info on the SHD Studio.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I have no idea what you are talking about.
Perhaps I’m talking about this bit:
“There is a disconnect between patting ourselves on the back for being objectivists, and then adding superflous components to a system in order to gain a miniscule increase in SINAD with no audible benefit.”

This sort of comment is rude in the best of circumstances. Especially so with no data to back it up, nor any alternative suggestions.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps I’m talking about this bit:
“There is a disconnect between patting ourselves on the back for being objectivists, and then adding superflous components to a system in order to gain a miniscule increase in SINAD with no audible benefit.”

This sort of comment is rude in the best of circumstances. Especially so with no data to back it up, nor any alternative suggestions.
I actually think that quote of his quite nailed it. I don't think it's rude. You could argue about choice of components that would fulfil that statement, but the statement is a good one, and is what I was getting at in one of my earlier posts.

By the way, I agree with your earlier post that it's nice to post pics of your system that you're proud of.

Eetu

Forum Donor
I think everyone should strive for a system they can be proud of and this is an awesome example of that. Whether the electronics are "overkill" or not is IMO beside the point.

The only nitpicking I would do is on the non-symmetrical placement of the setup. The left speaker is very close to the side wall compared to the right. The in-room measurements show that the L/R responses are quite different. But this is clearly a system with a lot of thought behind it and I'm sure @waynel has weighted the pros & cons of different placements. Again, nitpicking here and since my own system is very much a budget one, feel free to ignore all of it :) Thank you for sharing, the living room setup was really cool as well!

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think everyone should strive for a system they can be proud of and this is an awesome example of that. Whether the electronics are "overkill" or not is IMO beside the point.

The only nitpicking I would do is on the non-symmetrical placement of the setup. The left speaker is very close to the side wall compared to the right. The in-room measurements show that the L/R responses are quite different. But this is clearly a system with a lot of thought behind it and I'm sure @waynel has weighted the pros & cons of different placements. Again, nitpicking here and since my own system is very much a budget one, feel free to ignore all of it :) Thank you for sharing, the living room setup was really cool as well!
I can do that next time I run Dirac. Here is the response of the main speakers from a few months ago using ARC genesis. As you can see the Salon 2s extended below 20Hz in room.

View attachment 92846

The in-room response that I showed is just the Salon 2's without the subs. Most of the difference between L and R speakers is below 80Hz
1) I cross over to the subs at 80Hz and run them gain matched in mono so the left and right response below 80Hz is now identical
2) I use Dirac (in the past Anthem ARC Genesis) to correct for the room below 500Hz
Wayne

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I use Dirac (in the past Anthem ARC Genesis) to correct for the room below 500Hz
Did you choose 500Hz as the cut-off for the transition region? Curious about the reasoning.

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you choose 500Hz as the cut-off for the transition region? Curious about the reasoning.

Most of the differences between the left and right channels were below 500Hz as well as most of the deviation from flat. please take a look at the curve that I quoted in my prior post. I don't think that I would lose much if I pushed the correction down to 200Hz and I think anywhere from 200Hz- 500Hz makes sense but I don't want to correct above these frequencies because the on-axis sound for these speakers is already pretty flat and the dispersion even.

Wayne

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Last edited:
OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wayn, can you talk about room treatments a bit?

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wayn, can you talk about room treatments a bit?
I recommend an irregularly shaped room , a large sofa, and the largest Dobsonian that you can carry or wheel through your door.

In my smaller studio I have 22 GIK panels that I found very effective. In my living room and den I have found no need for extra acoustic treatment .

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I always try to arrange gear in an aesthetically pleasing way such as OP but usually find a cable or two that aren't long enough and it can be tricky finding a replacement.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's impressive.
What are the sub's additional benefit then ?
Fill in the room modes without taxing the speakers, also I allow some room gain with a rise to 15Hz.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom