• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chasing SINAD

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Incredible setup. I may be just a smidge jealous.

What's your thought on the Audyssey XT32 room correction on the X3700H? I didn't expect to be so impressed at how well it works with my JBL S38ii's for correcting dips and peaks. I may have to tweak the treble a bit to have it roll off a bit more as it sounds a tad bright. I'd love to see the results on your setup. I'm curious if the room throws off the spectacularly tight FR tolerances of those speakers.
View attachment 92591

Oh, does anyone know what the -2.5dB dip @ 2K "mids correction" is for? I can disable it, but it was on by default.
I find that XT32 works well enough for movies but I use the Audessey app to limit the correction range to below 500Hz and disable the stupid midrange "correction"

Wayne

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I find that XT32 works well enough for movies but I use the Audessey app to limit the correction range to below 500Hz and disable the stupid midrange "correction"

Wayne
Good to hear. I'm finding that just like you said, movie's are great, but I'm a tad underwhelmed by music performance. I'm usually doing my critical listening with my Jbl 306P's at my computer, but I'd love to have a better couch experience. I'll probably end up with a hypex + Jbl synthesis setup one day if I get approval from the wife.

Thanks again for chiming in.

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice! How do you like the sound?
I think it sounds amazing and has gotten much better as I've upgraded the speakers , subs, DSP room correction, and bass management.

I think the things that make a big difference are the speaker position (I used to have them much further from the front wall but careful measurements showed this caused a bass dip), proper sub integration, and DSP room correction below 500Hz. The system has more than enough clean power and can support any level at which I would ever choose to listen (and then some). The room is bigger than it appears in these photos ( I'll try to get a wider photo later. The speakers are set up along one half of the long wall (31' total) and the listening area is 21' deep with a fireplace behind (the reflection is visible in some photos) that acts as a nice diffuser. With the furnishings present, I don't feel the need for any additional acoustic treatment ( I have 22 GIK panels in my studio one room away so would have moved some if I felt the need)

Wayne

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kudos on good cable management too.
Thanks, although I think it could still use a bit of work to make it cleaner.

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here’s a wider shot of part of the room. Atmos speakers partly visible on ceiling
C6D9C122-1651-43D6-AB68-6D1F99291960.jpeg

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now you showed too much or not enough:

Measurements ? LxWxH ?
How far from back wall ? Side wall ?
Listening position distance ?
Temperature/humidity ?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While this is undeniablely a very high quality setup with probably fantastic potential when all setup perfectly I do get the impression a lot of money might have been wasted on a few "over-the-top components" that in reality probably don't add any perceived sound quality improvements. I prefer to see sensible use of components to produce the best sound, not a fan of "over the top".....I mean "over the top" seems to be an epitome of worst side of "audiophile". I'm not saying it's $5000 cables that you're using that are pure snake oil, but it might be the objective measurement "pursuit of SINAD" pushed to the limit, which is arguably just as pointless as a $5000 cable when pushed to such extremes that there are no practical benefits from it. I'm making broad statements here because I don't have in-depth knowledge of all of your components (and I might be making some wrong conclusions about the practicality of your component choice), but I noticed a few brands like Benchmark (which I've seen top of SINAD charts) and your comments on "Pursuit of SINAD", so I'm making some assumptions. Nice system I'm sure, it looks good too and congrats, I just don't like what it represents.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you try a layout with the speakers on either side of the doors?

Sukie

Forum Donor
Stop it.

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While this is undeniablely a very high quality setup with probably fantastic potential when all setup perfectly I do get the impression a lot of money might have been wasted on a few "over-the-top components" that in reality probably don't add any perceived sound quality improvements. I prefer to see sensible use of components to produce the best sound, not a fan of "over the top".....I mean "over the top" seems to be an epitome of worst side of "audiophile". I'm not saying it's $5000 cables that you're using that are pure snake oil, but it might be the objective measurement "pursuit of SINAD" pushed to the limit, which is arguably just as pointless as a $5000 cable when pushed to such extremes that there are no practical benefits from it. I'm making broad statements here because I don't have in-depth knowledge of all of your components (and I might be making some wrong conclusions about the practicality of your component choice), but I noticed a few brands like Benchmark (which I've seen top of SINAD charts) and your comments on "Pursuit of SINAD", so I'm making some assumptions. Nice system I'm sure, it looks good too and congrats, I just don't like what it represents.

Hey, I called it "chasing SINAD" and didn't make any claims on the sound of the electronics (other than neutral- I will make that claim). I'm an engineer ,like supporting state of the art performance, and that's how I choose to spend my money.

Electronics cost is 21% of this system
Cable cost is 0.5% of this system (and there are a lot of cables)

Take a look at my living room system where I pursued high SINAD at lower cost, you can have good design for moderate cost.

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Hey, I called it "chasing SINAD" and didn't make any claims on the sound of the electronics (other than neutral- I will make that claim). I'm an engineer ,like supporting state of the art performance, and that's how I choose to spend my money.

Electronics cost is 21% of this system
Cable cost is 0.5% of this system (and there are a lot of cables)

Take a look at my living room system where I pursued high SINAD as low cost, you can have good design for moderate cost.
So what are the next items on your upgrade list for this system? :p

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you try a layout with the speakers on either side of the doors?
No , that makes tv placement awkward. This doubles as home theater

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
This has to be tongue-in-cheek, right? I believe everything in the system has been measured somewhere and has measured really well.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This has to be tongue-in-cheek, right? I believe everything in the system has been measured somewhere and has measured really well.

I took the comment you responded to as meaning that a system of equal SQ (or equal SINAD) could be put together for less $$. And maybe so.

But if the OP is price-indifferent, then why not do what he did?

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I took the comment you responded to as meaning that a system of equal SQ (or equal SINAD) could be put together for less $$. And maybe so.

But if the OP is price-indifferent, then why not do what he did?
I’m not sure that’s true. No amp measured anywhere has lower SINAD than the Benchmark, and the MiniDSP SHD series are the best measuring components with Dirac that I’ve ever heard of. Plus, none of the electronic equipment is very expensive. ASR hasn’t measured the speakers, but based on available measurements and data, it seems unlikely that any speaker with lower distortion will cost less (if any such speaker exists).

Top Bottom