• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chasing SINAD

levimax

Major Contributor
I agree, I own a pair of Salon2 as well and after running room correction with miniDSP, I get quite satisfying bass that extends to ~18Hz. I have never felt the need to run subwoofers but I don’t exceed 95db, and am using 500W @6ohms per channel of amplification. While the sub headroom may be useful at higher SPL, I don’t see a need to add them for the levels I listen at.
With full range speakers like the Salon2 the reason for adding multiple subs is not for bass extension but rather to fill room modes (which is often not possible even with DSP) so you get smooth bass response and a larger listening area sweet spot.

phynix

With full range speakers like the Salon2 the reason for adding multiple subs is not for bass extension but rather to fill room modes (which is often not possible even with DSP) so you get smooth bass response and a larger listening area sweet spot.
My room is 23x20 with open floor plan but for a “focused listening” area, Dirac Live corrects it well (using below 400Hz). I can see how one might need subs for a larger listening area or a more challenging room though. I do fill in some nulls with the DSP but I feel like the amplification power is sufficient for the max SPL of 95db that I listen at.

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This thing is huge
896421AC-25A8-4CCC-89CC-74CC887DCE8E.jpeg
52084CFB-2303-4EFE-916D-1DBBCAF3E5D1.jpeg

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recommend an irregularly shaped room , a large sofa, and the largest Dobsonian that you can carry or wheel through your door.

In my smaller studio I have 22 GIK panels that I found very effective. In my living room and den I have found no need for extra acoustic treatment .
Have you measured the room? Based on quick glance and from a non professional observation, I think you could benefit from some treatment, particularly your walls is quite bare.

But other than that superb setup.

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you measured the room? Based on quick glance and from a non professional observation, I think you could benefit from some treatment, particularly your walls is quite bare.

But other than that superb setup.
Yes, See post #50 in this thread. I'll measure again when the new subs get here.

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:p not sure how much Benchmark amps reduce hard reflections in a room decorated like that one!

I have never heard good sound in a room with hard floor, walls and ceiling myself.
I think that the system and room sounds quite good. There is plenty of diffusion in the room due to bookcases and shelves and the room is large which helps with the acoustics. As mentioned previously I also have a pretty damped room with 6 GIK tri traps and and 16 2'x4' bass traps where my desktop system lives (see the link in my signature) so I'm familiar with room treatment. My Studio needs it , my den and living room do not. You can see that some of the room nodes can be corrected via Anthem Genesis, and now Dirac Live as the dips aren't large and I have tons of headroom (See post 50). I will post new Dirac Live before and after when the new subs arrive.

Wayne

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Subwoofers upgraded to Rythmik F18s
IMG_0283.jpeg
IMG_0285.jpeg
IMG_0286.jpeg
IMG_0284.jpeg
IMG_0287.jpeg

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Out of general curiosity has this incredibly large and beautiful new Center channel speaker made much of an improvement/impreson in the sound for Movies? Any chance you have any measurements of just the center before and after? Or just after. I would love to see how it measures on its own.

Beautiful setup and definitely well executed.

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of general curiosity has this incredibly large and beautiful new Center channel speaker made much of an improvement/impreson in the sound for Movies? Any chance you have any measurements of just the center before and after? Or just after. I would love to see how it measures on its own.

Beautiful setup and definitely well executed.
I dislike how large the center is but it's sounding really good with a few surround music blu rays so it's a keeper. Had to raise my tv though. It sounds great with movies too, I don't really think it gets much better than the C 426be

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

phynix

@waynel curious why you switched over from JL subs to Rythmiks. Could you share what’s the performance difference between the two.

OP
W

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@waynel curious why you switched over from JL subs to Rythmiks. Could you share what’s the performance difference between the two.
The JL is a great sub and I don’t think there is anything better for the size, but it’s relatively expensive. Based on old measurements of the original F113 the F18 should have about 2dB higher output at 20Hz but the v2 has not been measured so it might be closer than that. The F18 also plays lower and was flat to around 8Hz in my room at modest levels for the sweep while the JL rolled off at around 16Hz ( I believe this is due to an intentional filter). The JL also has the advantage of DARO. I’m now doing room correction and subwoofer integration with a miniDSP unit optimized with MSO. Having the space for the larger F18s and external room correction takes away the two main advantages of the JL, hence the switch. BTW, I was able to sell my pair of JLs for significantly more than the Rythmiks cost.

Wayne

phynix

The JL is a great sub and I don’t think there is anything better for the size, but it’s relatively expensive. Based on old measurements of the original F113 the F18 should have about 2dB higher output at 20Hz but the v2 has not been measured so it might be closer than that. The F18 also plays lower and was flat to around 8Hz in my room at modest levels for the sweep while the JL rolled off at around 16Hz ( I believe this is due to an intentional filter). The JL also has the advantage of DARO. I’m now doing room correction and subwoofer integration with a miniDSP unit optimized with MSO. Having the space for the larger F18s and external room correction takes away the two main advantages of the JL, hence the switch. BTW, I was able to sell my pair of JLs for significantly more than the Rythmiks cost.

Wayne
Thanks, I’m considering Rythmiks too - with miniDSP room correction and lower extension they seem to provide more value for the money than the JL. Basically I’m copying over your settings so thanks for the free experimentation :)

Top Bottom