• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Charles Sprinkle's Kali Audio LP-6

12B4A

One can't help but think they are going after JBL's segment in the prosumer market. JBL's LSR 3-series was their biggest volume seller and this active studio monitor is offering very similar setup and manufacturing design traits. Kali Audio's $149 LP-6 seems to be starting with the same amplifier chip used in JBL's 3-series offering a DSP controlled class D 40Wx40W with +2dB/0dB/-2dB HF/LF trim controls. The minor differences to the 3-series are a front port, an unbalanced RCA input in addition to the XLR/TRS balanced inputs, 6½" woofer, and a Revel-like tweeter waveguide that doesn't seem to infringe on the patent of the sphincter-ry directional control ridges of the M2/7/3-series.

StraightonHero_John.jpg

Back+Cropped.jpg

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a really interesting speaker! The waveguide and 1.5kHz crossover point should reduce or eliminate midrange dispersion disruption. Starting with an active speaker for that price is impressive for a brand new company, too. At least, I like it.

Also, they engineered a 1" soft dome tweeter that they trust not to self-destruct under a 1.5kHz highpass within the BOM of a $300 active speaker? There are a lot of $100/pr 1" domes that would let out the magic smoke if you tried that.

OP
12B4A

12B4A

The 305's were crossed at 1.7khz and AFAICT, they didn't implement any of the limiting functions of the DSP/Amp chip. When your amp can only do 40 watts and the design goal is 105dB@1m, I think its safe to use a tweeter that traded off efficiency/power handling for low freq. extension. For their ratings, they'd need a tweet that is at least 89dB/W. It seems like that wasn't a stretch to pull off when a few examples can be found for <$20 on parts express.
https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-bc25tg15-04-1-silk-dome-tweeter--264-1040
https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-sd28-1-soft-dome-tweeter-4-ohm--290-4024
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...ymium-tweeter-with-steel-frame-4-ohm--275-116

Based on what I know they're going after the whole JBL line.

It'd be interesting to see what they put up against the M2 and 7 series. Going after the 3 series first is definitely the smart business decision. Although, the product so far is closer on the spectrum to a 3-series rebadging than it is a redesign.

OP
12B4A

12B4A

:)
How much residual hiss/noise is there when there is no input signal? Will Kali publish Spin-o-rama/radiation pattern measurements? Which DSP/amp chip is being used?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@KaliAudio_Official

I met Charles when I went to Northridge to audition some M2's which I now own. What are the plans for Kali? As mentioned above, I want to see polar plots!

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
Residual noise is in line with other speakers in this price range (under $500/pair for a 6")

We will indeed publish those measurements, and I'll make a note to reply here with them once they're live on our site.

I can't speak in too much detail about the DSP chip that we're using, but I can say that we are utilizing the limiting function, and that we have built in boundary compensation EQs to compensate for placement. More information can be found on our website about that, and Charles also did a very informative video:

@jtwrace Congrats on the M2s!

As of now, Kali is developing this line of Studio Monitors as well as several other loudspeaker lines. There will be more news by the end of 2018.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I find it interesting how companies like JBL and Kali can offer speakers that are considered good enough for a mixing console at these prices.
Even the SOTA M2's cost like 10% of what "audiophile" recommended kits cost.
Another example of audiophool mentality inflation?

OP
12B4A

12B4A

I find it interesting how companies like JBL and Kali can offer speakers that are considered good enough for a mixing console at these prices.
Even the SOTA M2's cost like 10% of what "audiophile" recommended kits cost.
Another example of audiophool mentality inflation?

When I watched Paul McGowan's youtube video explaining why consumers shouldn't use studio monitors, I pulled an eye muscle by rolling them too hard. I refuse to link to it.

Residual noise is in line with other speakers in this price range (under $500/pair for a 6")

We will indeed publish those measurements, and I'll make a note to reply here with them once they're live on our site.

I can't speak in too much detail about the DSP chip that we're using, but I can say that we are utilizing the limiting function, and that we have built in boundary compensation EQs to compensate for placement. More information can be found on our website about that, and Charles also did a very informative video:

Thanks for coming back. Get those Spins out! If they are as good or better than your closest competitor, then you'll have a better chance of winning people over. JBL made contributions to breaking the meme where that kind of detailed data would be "confusing" to customers. If you're directly competing against them, I don't think it'd be helpful to keep it behind the wall.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I watched Paul McGowan's youtube video explaining why consumers shouldn't use studio monitors, I pulled an eye muscle by rolling them too hard. I refuse to link to it.

He is soon to be in the speaker business so you have to take that all with a grain of salt. He's still in HIFI.

Thanks for coming back. Get those Spins out! If they are as good or better than your closest competitor, then you'll have a better chance of winning people over. JBL made contributions to breaking the meme where that kind of detailed data would be "confusing" to customers. If you're directly competing against them, I don't think it'd be helpful to keep it behind the wall.
@KaliAudio_Official

Yes, polar plots are imperative to people that actually know what they're talking about. I met Charles at Harman when I flew out for the day, I certainly look forward to what they do. Also, I'd love to hear and I'll fly out to Kali to see the resource too. Am I invited?

Here was my Harman trip:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149780.0

Last edited:

SPFC

Very nice. Can't wait to learn more about these. Please offer speakers in white!

Not surprised Charles has left JBL. Having worked in M&A for many years, I know that the acquisition of Harman by a Korean giant really changes things. Very different work cultures and ways of doing business. Can be a very hough environment.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
A pair of these arrived last week. I'll be doing a full review, but I'll share my general impressions here after I've had a week of listening and some basic measurements completed.

My thanks to the kind folks at Kali for giving me a crack at this most interesting design!

SPFC

A pair of these arrived last week. I'll be doing a full review, but I'll share my general impressions here after I've had a week of listening and some basic measurements completed.

My thanks to the kind folks at Kali for giving me a crack at this most interesting design!
Congrats! Can't wait to read your impressions. Please post pictures too!

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Mine arrived a few days ago as well. Initial impression is that bass is better defined than the LSR305, and sweet spot sufficiently wide for my off-axis typical listening spot. More once I have more time with them.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@KaliAudio_Official One thing not mentioned in the manual (that I can find) is the optimum listening axis. I defaulted to where the blue light sits, right between woofer and tweeter. Is that your recommendation?

Jan Didden and I were just listening to some John Eargle recordings and some of my own, using that axis as our ear level. Without spoiling my eventual full review, I'll say that it sparked a conversation about how this kind of sound can be done for $400 the pair with amplification.

Top Bottom