• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Channel imbalance using XLR cables

MrOtto

I got my self a stack of Gustard H16 and X16, and almost instantaneous when I fired it up, I noticed a clear channel imbalance. I played the same song from Windows on my Hidisz S9, and vocal was noticeable more in center on my headphones. The Gustard components has also RCA output/input, so I hooked up some cables and played the same song. Exactly in the center as on Hidisz. I switced to XLR input, and there was the channel imbalance. I tried to reseat the XLR cables, and now the imbalance was to the other side. I swithced the cables once again, and imbalance switched again. Also the sound and stereo image is must fuller and better on RCA.

These cables are Belden 1800F, I bought them used of a guy who said they were Blue Jeans Cables. Anyone had a problem like this with XLR cables?
I do not have another pair of XLR cables on hand to see if this will fix it. How can I check the XLR cables?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
These cables are Belden 1800F, I bought them used of a guy who said they were Blue Jeans Cables. Anyone had a problem like this with XLR cables?
I have many(!) XLR cables in my system and never experienced this. The only thing might be that there's an intermittent internal connection resulting in the signal varying from balanced to unbalanced.

OP
M

MrOtto

But cables must have some effect on the imbalance changing from one channel to the other when I switch the cables left/right?

AudiOhm

No problem here either. If you have a bad connection with one of the XLR cables, switch them and see if the issue travels with the cable. XLR needs to have both signals transmitted from device to device...

Ohms

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Sounds like a bad cable, perhaps with one side open... Do you have an ohmmeter, DMM, or other means of checking the connections?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
But cables must have some effect on the imbalance changing from one channel to the other when I switch the cables left/right?
Is that a question?

If the problem follows the cable, of course the cable is bad.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Bad cable of course. Have to check the pins. Clean it with contact cleaner. If doesn't solve, perhaps have to replace the XLR connectors. As far as I know, Belden itself sell bulk cable only. You can open it up and check the solders are intact.

OP
M

MrOtto

Checked with an ohmmeter, Pin 1 goes to Pin 2 in one cable.

Edit: Ground and negative was switched, so I resoldered and now ground/shield is Pin1 to both plugs, and switch between XLR to RCA is flawless in term of sound presentation.
XLR+Connector+Pinout+Diagram+Rear+Pin+2+Hot+v2+green.jpg

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Checked with a ohmmeter, Pin 1 goes to Pin 2 in one cable.
That would normally short signal(+) on pin 2 to ground/shield on pin 1, cutting the signal in half (at least). I suspect that's the problem, good catch... :)

Last edited:
OP
M

MrOtto

I doubt this cable was not professional made and could have been made by Blue Jeans Cables like seller said. Cables and plugs are the same type as they advertise. The solder points were very neatly made and done and cutting and twisting of the sheild was very nicely made.
But mixing up pins is not very professional. No quality control?

AudiOhm

AudiOhm

I could find pics from sites that are selling them used, but you never know if they are real or fake.

Ohms

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I could find pics from sites that are selling them used, but you never know if they are real or fake.

Ohms
The one I posted was taken from the BlueJeans website.

AudiOhm

I see that, but not the XLR cables in question, Male to Female XLR with the Belden 1800F cable ...

Ohms

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I see that, but not the XLR cables in question, Male to Female XLR with the Belden 1800F cable ...
Sure but if you see the male XLR end, you can imagine what the female end looks like. :facepalm:

AudiOhm

Top Bottom