• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Changing the Volume Pot on the Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887

WapKonnJoj

First post on ASR hope I'm in the right place!

I'm deciding between the Monolith Monoprice THX AAA 887 and the Drop 789 and whilst I prefer the look of the 887 I've heard that the volume pot is godawful: digital, spins infinitely, doesn't adjust quickly so turning drastically up or down can take a while. So, to decide which I'll get I want to figure out if I can modify the volume pot on the 887. I'm a complete beginner to modifying electronics (have some meagre soldering experience) so in order to do this I need to figure out:

1) Where can I find the appropriate parts?
2) How do I do this?
3) If I can do this, can I do it in a way that won't look and feel janky?

I can't seem to find any schematics or pictures of the interior of the amp so I guess this will be a largely theoretical discussion...

Thanks for the help!

Bob-23

First post on ASR hope I'm in the right place!

I'm deciding between the Monolith Monoprice THX AAA 887 and the Drop 789 and whilst I prefer the look of the 887 I've heard that the volume pot is godawful: digital, spins infinitely, doesn't adjust quickly so turning drastically up or down can take a while. So, to decide which I'll get I want to figure out if I can modify the volume pot on the 887. I'm a complete beginner to modifying electronics (have some meagre soldering experience) so in order to do this I need to figure out:

1) Where can I find the appropriate parts?
2) How do I do this?
3) If I can do this, can I do it in a way that won't look and feel janky?

I can't seem to find any schematics or pictures of the interior of the amp so I guess this will be a largely theoretical discussion...

Thanks for the help!
Your attitude is great (and has become rare): modifying equipment to your needs, and I'd encourage you following that path furtheron - but this one: forget it. But what you describe seems to be the normal functioning of a digital vol pot, doesn't it? Go for the other unit, if you don't like it.

Tks

Major Contributor
The 887 does not spin infinitely because it's not a digital pot, it can't be because the 887 is a pure amp. The 788 Monoprice DAC/AMP is the digital one you're talking about perhaps?

OP
W

WapKonnJoj

Welp! I was thinking about the 788. I watched all the reviews on all the thx amps and must have misattributed this particular flaw to the wrong amp. Found where I got the info is, please don't shame me for watching Zeos...

Top Bottom