• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Changing Studio Monitors Suggestions

oversorrow

Looking for a studio monitor for less than 600$ per pair.
The room is about 11 square meters and I can't do barely any acoustic treatment.
Right now I'm using JBL 305P MKII and the bass is overwhelming even if I reduce it as much as I can.
I saw some reviews and these are on my wish list for now:
Kali LP6 2nd (maybe the size is too big for my room)
Tannoy Gold5
iLoud Micro

That‘s all, at first I want to save some money and buy KH80DSP, then I realize that it would be a waste of money since I can't improve my room.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Active Speakers Under US$550/pair:
RecommendationPSLFXAmplifiers
#1Kali LP-6v2 (Erin)5.93940 & 40 (Erin)
#2Behringer B2031A^5.7*36*140
#3JBL 308P MKII (Amir)5.73656 & 56
WorthyAdam T5V (Amir)4.34850 & 20
^ Amir purchased a unit, and will be measuring it soon.
LEGEND:
ValueDescription
#1Best rated-speaker in terms of preference score. Update: I set the threshold at 3.0, ignoring speakers below it.
#22nd best-rated speaker in terms of preference score.
#33rd best-rated speaker in terms of preference score.
WorthyWorthy picks that either Erin or Amir measured and recommended. Plus a few models that weren't measured but still for consideration, since we can predict will be good, based on similar model's measurements.
PSPreference Score (with no subwoofer added). Value can be negative (for really badly designed speakers) and goes up to a 10 (theoretical limit). Higher is better.
LFXLow Frequency Extension (in hz). This is the bass output at -6db point. This was computed, not estimated. Lower is better.
AmplifiersAmount of amplifier (amp) power (in watts). If 1 value, it's a single amp. If 2 values, first is woofer amp, and then tweeter amp. If 3 values, first is woofer amp, then midrange amp, then tweeter amp. Amp is per speaker. Didn't make a distinction between peak or RMS power, so not 100% consistent between vendors. Higher is better.
Amplifiers (Link)"Response Linearity" Test that Erin performs. Also called "Dynamic Range (Instantaneous Compression Test)". Link to his website.
*We have quasi-anechoic spinorama or similar. However, this speaker wasn't measured using Klippel NFS (that Amir and Erin have), so it's resolution is less accurate. Warning: This will artificially boost the preference score higher than if the same speaker was measured using NFS.
From your list:
- iLoud Micro are severely output-limited, with LFX of 49hz.
CEA2034.jpg
- Tannoy Gold 5 = no spinorama, so can't judge.
- Neumann KH80 = excellent, of course.

Also, you can use Equalizer APO or PEACE to implement a high-pass filter below say 60hz (or w/e you want). This way, you can get the studio monitor with great frequency response, but adjust the bass to your taste. I implemented the same technique when listening to studio monitors at night, so to not disturb others.

EDIT:
Oh, cool, this is my #2500's post. :D

OP
oversorrow

oversorrow

LEGEND:
ValueDescription
#1Best rated-speaker in terms of preference score. Update: I set the threshold at 3.0, ignoring speakers below it.
#22nd best-rated speaker in terms of preference score.
#33rd best-rated speaker in terms of preference score.
WorthyWorthy picks that either Erin or Amir measured and recommended. Plus a few models that weren't measured but still for consideration, since we can predict will be good, based on similar model's measurements.
PSPreference Score (with no subwoofer added). Value can be negative (for really badly designed speakers) and goes up to a 10 (theoretical limit). Higher is better.
LFXLow Frequency Extension (in hz). This is the bass output at -6db point. This was computed, not estimated. Lower is better.
AmplifiersAmount of amplifier (amp) power (in watts). If 1 value, it's a single amp. If 2 values, first is woofer amp, and then tweeter amp. If 3 values, first is woofer amp, then midrange amp, then tweeter amp. Amp is per speaker. Didn't make a distinction between peak or RMS power, so not 100% consistent between vendors. Higher is better.
Amplifiers (Link)"Response Linearity" Test that Erin performs. Also called "Dynamic Range (Instantaneous Compression Test)". Link to his website.
*We have quasi-anechoic spinorama or similar. However, this speaker wasn't measured using Klippel NFS (that Amir and Erin have), so it's resolution is less accurate. Warning: This will artificially boost the preference score higher than if the same speaker was measured using NFS.
From your list:
- iLoud Micro are severely output-limited, with LFX of 49hz.
CEA2034.jpg
- Tannoy Gold 5 = no spinorama, so can't judge.
- Neumann KH80 = excellent, of course.

Also, you can use Equalizer APO or PEACE to implement a high-pass filter below say 60hz (or w/e you want). This way, you can get the studio monitor with great frequency response, but adjust the bass to your taste. I implemented the same technique when listening to studio monitors at night, so to not disturb others.

EDIT:
Oh, cool, this is my #2500's post. :D
BIG THANKS TO YOU!!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR DETAILED INFORMATION!!!

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'd recommend spending that $600 on room treatment - specifically, bass traps.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looking for a studio monitor for less than 600$ per pair.
The room is about 11 square meters and I can't do barely any acoustic treatment.
Right now I'm using JBL 305P MKII and the bass is overwhelming even if I reduce it as much as I can.
I saw some reviews and these are on my wish list for now:
Kali LP6 2nd (maybe the size is too big for my room)
Tannoy Gold5
iLoud Micro

That‘s all, at first I want to save some money and buy KH80DSP, then I realize that it would be a waste of money since I can't improve my room.
Before changing loudspeakers I'd first suggest to invest in a measurement microphone and do room EQ. Boomy/overwhelming bass can usually be easily fixed with EQ (more problematic would be the "no bass" alternative :)).
Perhaps this post (link) might be useful. Good luck! :)

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@dominikz i feel like your post is missed since it’s among many.
Consider creating a new thread just for this info, similar to what napilopez did.
Thanks - though before creating a dedicated thread I'd perhaps like to expand and structure the information in a better way. I'll try to find some time to do it :)

maxxevv

Major Contributor

The JBL 306P MkII scored better than the Adam though.[/spoiler]

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

kongwee

Major Contributor
I will just keep this way unless really need to "upgrade". As much as I can just reposition the speakers. My speaker is absolutely no toe in just beside my iMac, and within the triangle. Do a sine wave swap test by listening and measure. Reduce much peaks.

Top Bottom