• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chane A1.5 Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I had a friend with a really nice car audio system and for his personal enjoyment would crank the treble.
He loved it, couldn't get enough.
Really similar to how some folks love extra bass or even absurd bass levels.
Look at some of the old Harman graphs showing how much bass "untrained"(ie typical/normal non audiophile) listeners like.
Certainly some folks will like these.
Same goes for the HD. As stated many of the non dome/inverted dome tweets suffer from higher HD levels and yet many folks love them or at least think they do. In the same way HD in bass can make the speaker sound warmer or fuller, to some, I really think some people like the effects of some HD in the treble region. Maybe it adds a sense of something extra(depth,edge,"realism", or similar) and also add a slight shift in the tonality that some folks like.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No. You can change the crossover and make dramatic difference in the measurements, with the same drivers.
I stand corrected. However, unlike you said, that is a drastic change.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These measurement results shouldn't be surprising to anyone who has read Jon Lane's public comments on speaker measurements. His remarks have generally emphasized that there is much more to speaker sound quality than measurements might show. The implication seems to be that Chane speakers excel at producing great subjective sound quality regardless of how they might objectively measure.

D

Deleted member 28042

I took a look at this company's website and spent a few minutes trying, unsuccessfully, to see where they're located and where these are manufactured. No luck but maybe I'm missing something right in front of my nose. To me personally, that is a red flag as far as a manufacturer's trustworthiness is concerned. There's a section that describes the company's history and claimed accomplishments without ever getting around to telling me who the principals are. For a internet direct seller, that's another red flag as far as I'm concerned. No thank you.

Updating this from the Better Business Bureau website: (not a BBB accredited business but that is not unusual for a small business)

Business Details

Location of This Business
123 W Nye Ln STE 129, Carson City, NV 89706-0838

BBB File Opened: 5/3/2013Business Incorporated: 8/23/2013Type of Entity: Limited Liability Company (LLC)

Business Management
  • Mr. Jonathan (Jon) Lane, Managing Member

Contact Information
  • Principal
  • Customer Contact

DuncanTodd

I took a look at this company's website and spent a few minutes trying, unsuccessfully, to see where they're located and where these are manufactured. No luck but maybe I'm missing something right in front of my nose. To me personally, that is a red flag as far as a manufacturer's trustworthiness is concerned. There's a section that describes the company's history and claimed accomplishments without ever getting around to telling me who the principals are. For a internet direct seller, that's another red flag as far as I'm concerned. No thank you.
If memory serves, they are in Florida, but I think they also have a warehouse in Nevada. Speakers are manufactured in China and assembled in the US.
On the bright side, I guess there is something to the “split gap woofer technology” they proclaim.
Split gap I think is in the tower version.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What I find strange is the centre speaker, which has two woofers is in fact 20% cheaper
The center speaker (A2.4) is priced individually.
A1.5 is priced per pair.
A5.5 towers are priced individually as well.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Updating this from the Better Business Bureau website: (not a BBB accredited business but that is not unusual for a small business)

Business Details

BBB File Opened: 5/3/2013Business Incorporated: 8/23/2013Type of Entity: Limited Liability Company (LLC)

Business Management

Contact Information
  • Principal
  • Customer Contact
It’s pretty common knowledge in the home theater/AV world that Jon Lane started Chane when Arx (Lane’s former well-regarded company) merged with Chase Subwoofers. Chase+Lane=Chane. Chase (forgot his name) has since left the company. Chane has an active bulletin board where Jon Lane posts frequently. The ownership of the company is no secret. Lane has some sort of relationship with American/Canadian/Chinese speaker and driver manufacturer Swans/HiVi so I wouldn’t be surprised if some cross pollination of design and manufacturing occurrs.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The center speaker (A2.4) is priced individually.
A1.5 is priced per pair.
A5.5 towers are priced individually as well.
I missed that. Thank you for the clarification.

kma100

Forum Donor

Business Details

Business Management

Contact Information
  • Principal
  • Customer Contact
Nothing mysterious here. Active on AVS and I have spoken to him a couple of times. His speakers are good. I have the 2.4 at home (LCR) for 3-4 weeks and liked them. Great speakers at that price point.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
It’s pretty common knowledge in the home theater/AV world that Jon Lane started Chane when Arx (Lane’s former well-regarded company) merged with Chase Subwoofers. Chase+Lane=Chane. Chase (forgot his name) has since left the company. Chane has an active bulletin board where Jon Lane posts frequently. The ownership of the company is no secret. Lane has some sort of relationship with American/Canadian/Chinese speaker and driver manufacturer Swans/HiVi so I wouldn’t be surprised if some cross pollination of design and manufacturing occurrs.
Yah and the new "L" series uses SB acoustics drivers and they have used SB Acoustics in the past. Be really interesting to see what he did with those generally excellent SB drivers. They might be decent speaker units.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it normal that the nearfield of the tweeter does not resemble the listening window?

index.php

index.php

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is it normal that the nearfield of the tweeter does not resemble the listening window?
It is a complex thing. I measure the tweeter with the mic about 1 cm away from it. This could cause reflections/comb filtering that would be highly dependent on the shape and configuration of the tweeter. I am open for feedback on how to improve this.

Reactions: GDK
Top Bottom