• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chane A1.5 Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

Kheflw33

20230116_110442.jpg

My first post on Audioscience and it's for Chane 1.5s. Funny, been reading the forums here for a week, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Denon 4700 and KEF R3s. Bought the Chanes back in 2017, that's a Chane center channel up top. I'll be bringing that down below the TV, putting the R3s on stands I think, hate that they have to be 9" from back wall, but we're looking for best sound here.
I've got a pair of Subs as well to help the R3s.
Appreciate the work in these forums. Thanks much

Hef

CJYYZ

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Chane A1.5 bookshelf 2-way speaker. I purchased it at suggestion of members and donations toward it. It costs US $329 a pair from the company as of this writing. It is apparently the fifth revision of this design and hence the numerical designation.

Despite being small, the cabinet feels quite heavy and solid:

View attachment 149568

I like the binding posts but they are too close to each other making it hard to run them:

View attachment 149570

This speaker seems to have a massive following ignited by a review of earlier version of it by CNET praising it.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Using computational acoustics, far-field response is computed and that is what I present. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber.

I performed over 1000 measurement which resulted in error rate of about 1%. Clean high frequency response is responsible for ease of measurement in this regard.

Reference axis is approximately the center of the tweeter (vertically and horizontally). As a funny aside, when I was searching for measurements of this speaker, I landed on a massive thread in AVS Forum with a person claiming I will be botching this as I am supposed to contact the company to get the acoustic center. Well, if it is very different than assumed, company best to provide that information to all of its users. More on this later.

Chane A1.5 Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

View attachment 149571

Ouch. This is not what I expected to see for a speaker with so much praise. Efficiency was low as also evidenced by me having to crank up the levels to get it to measurement point. Response peaks in treble region and there is some nasty business both in on-axis and off-axis response around a few hundred hertz to nearly 2 kHz. By measuring the drivers and port we get some clues as to potential reasons:

View attachment 149572

We see the classic budget speaker cabinet/port resonance peaking as the woofer response is going down causing it to be much more of a problem than it would be otherwise. Tweeter response is also quite uneven.

Early window response due to poor directivity is a mess:

View attachment 149573

Normally I could tell you to both absorbers here and there to help the situation but I can't think of anything. Each reflection contributes randomly to the response -- by eye anyway.

No wonder then that our predicted in-room response is quite choppy:

View attachment 149574

It also appears to not slope down much so likely sound bright.

Company talks a lot about the distortion levels in the woofer and seems like there is something to that:
View attachment 149575

As seen though, they need to do something about the tweeter.
View attachment 149576

Even during the sweep with hearing protection I could tell at 96 dB SPL there were problems.

As we would expect, horizontal beamwidth cannot be described at any fixed angle:

View attachment 149577

It is so uneven and broad at some frequencies that I think the sound will be very room dependent. Same is seen in our contour map:

View attachment 149578

Vertically the tweeter heavily beams at the top of its range with strong narrowing of the response:

View attachment 149579

Symmetry of the measurements is very good which means we did nail the acoustic center! :D

Here is our 3-D balloon plot at three mid frequencies;

View attachment 149580

Sound source starts as a uniform surface but then splits into two before unifying back again.

Impedance for the most part is high so your amplifier should be happier:

View attachment 149581

Then again the low sensitivity as noted earlier will require a powerful amplifier to play loud.

You all have asked for impulse response, so here it is:

View attachment 149582

Chane A1.5 Listening Tests and EQ
I must say, despite glancing at the measurements before listening to the A1.5, I was not ready for the experience that greeted me. The sound was hyper bright and was energizing the room in a way that I have rarely heard. Higher notes would linger in my large space. The combination at first was impressively addictive until you some notes literally poke a hole in your eardrum and you realize you are listening to the classic "showroom sound." Mind you, it is one of the best implementations of that besting what even Klipsch does but wrong it is. So out came the EQ tool with shelving to bring the highs down:

View attachment 149583

That wasn't enough so I went after the irregularities in 500 to 1500 hertz with dual filters to build a flat top (I did it visually and hence the fractions). Once there, I tamed 90% of the brightness but some notes would still stand out. I tried adding a bit of bass boost where there is a dip in upper bass/lower mid-range but that caused the speaker to run out of headroom and distort. And kind of made it boomy so I omitted it.

Power handling was very good. The little woofer doesn't upset easy. But something else was nice: there was this great spatial qualities to the speaker which I think is due to very wide directivity in lower treble area. This may also be why it sounds bright because I don't have any side wall absorption.

With all the filters in place, I listened for a good bit and soon I lost track that I was testing the speaker and instead enjoying its sound.

Conclusions
Objectively the Chane A1.5 violates many rules for good sound in speaker design. Sadly the same was present in listening tests. Unless the showroom effect is in play, I can't figure out why the speaker is so popular. Maybe people are using it in home theater applications where equalization is very common. If so, sure, I could get pushed to get on board if you EQ them well.

As is, I can't recommend the Chane A1.5. You must use EQ and if you do, then you can get good sound out of it and maybe some unique characteristics.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Yikes! That's bad news, seeing how I own a pair of Chane A5rx-c tower speakers and an Arx (now Chane) A2rx-c centre channel speaker. I was considering getting a pair of Chane A4.5 surrounds to replace my cheapie surrounds, but I'd love to see reviews/measurements of my current setup and the A4.5s first. Can anyone send me links to any detailed information on these speakers? I wish I had known about ASR before I had invested in my first system.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yikes! That's bad news, seeing how I own a pair of Chane A5rx-c tower speakers and an Arx (now Chane) A2rx-c centre channel speaker. I was considering getting a pair of Chane A4.5 surrounds to replace my cheapie surrounds, but I'd love to see reviews/measurements of my current setup and the A4.5s first. Can anyone send me links to any detailed information on these speakers? I wish I had known about ASR before I had invested in my first system.
If you EQ the 1.5 to tame the treble, Amir had some good things to say:

Power handling was very good. The little woofer doesn't upset easy. But something else was nice: there was this great spatial qualities to the speaker which I think is due to very wide directivity in lower treble area. This may also be why it sounds bright because I don't have any side wall absorption.

With all the filters in place, I listened for a good bit and soon I lost track that I was testing the speaker and instead enjoying its sound.

So the speaker is somewhat of an enigma. Maybe the designer is onto something. But it needs EQ.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The most foolproof on-wall surround speakers I've found are the Revel S16.

Source: I've owned the Infinity Reference, Emotiva, and Polk LSiM. Only the Polks were better, but they are large, angled, and won't work in the current room, so they're stored away.

Rick63

I have no experience with the A1.5, but I owned the Chane L3 for 2 years and they are/were my favorite large-ish bookshelf speakers I've ever owned.

SB Acoustics drivers, extremely good build quality, neutral/not fatiguing, fantastic music speakers.

20210402_132343.jpg
20210402_133404.jpg
20210402_133837.jpg
20210402_134527.jpg
20210402_134222.jpg
depositphotos_80122972-stock-video-hippie-girl-showing-a-peace.jpg

Last edited:

CJYYZ

If you EQ the 1.5 to tame the treble, Amir had some good things to say:

So the speaker is somewhat of an enigma. Maybe the designer is onto something. But it needs EQ.
Don't get me wrong, I really like my current setup. If a current Chane speaker has a problematic tweeter implementation, that doesn't mean my older speakers have the same issue. Since stumbling across ASR a year or so ago I was blown away by the in-depth scientific measurements that go into audio equipment reviews. The magic curtain was pulled back and I was shown irrefutable proof of what each product was actually capable of instead of blindly following marketing hype. I wish I lived close to Amirm so I could drop my speakers off to get tested to see if they have the same distortion problems as the A4.5. Then I'd know if I was making the right choice by investing into more Chane speakers.

CJYYZ

The most foolproof on-wall surround speakers I've found are the Revel S16.

Source: I've owned the Infinity Reference, Emotiva, and Polk LSiM. Only the Polks were better, but they are large, angled, and won't work in the current room, so they're stored away.
That's a beautiful speaker... way out of my price range, though.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom