• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CES 2017: SVS

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
093A8075.jpg

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
loved that video way out man

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't remember the specifics now but my recollection is that they sounded like cheap chinese speakers. The make sound but the frequency response is off, they lack resolution, etc.

BTW, I am going to AXPONA again this year. Are you going?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I don't remember the specifics now but my recollection is that they sounded like cheap chinese speakers.

Hey!

My wonderful little JBL's are Cheap Chinese Speakers.

On the other hand, my crappy ML reQuests were MADE IN USA.

And looking back, for what now looks like a somewhat reasonable fee of only $6625.96 (MSRP) in 2016 dollars.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There is a difference between manufactured in china but designed in US and manufactured and designed in China. There are a number of Chinese companies that will produce a speaker for you to cost and looks. That is what the vast majority of cheap speakers are and what is called a "phoned in design." That's what these speakers sounded like.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ah, that's great. Yeh we better do some research into food before we get there. Must find better food than we did last time!

This time I am staying at Westin too so less driving around.

BTW, I need you to pass a background check just like all Uber drivers. Need to make sure you are a not a crazy subjectivist!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This was a blu-ray DTS demo disc which they play at shows. Pretty entertaining.

Cymatics by Nigel Stanford. https://shz.am/t161037534

Neat video. I built one of the flaming organ gizmos in college. Except the one I built was 16 feet long and about that diameter. Seal one end where the natural gas comes in. Put a speaker into the other end. Play tones and watch the waves modulate the pressure at each opening. Did it for a physics lab. I wonder if you could get away with that now? Long flaming tube you light off and play music thru, hey what could go wrong?

Neatest part to me was the swirling modulation of the water flowing through the tube in front of the woofer. Maybe a good idea to have the water supply close to the flaming organ.

Here is a two D version of the flaming tube. I like the comment, "when you add more fire it always gets better".

Last edited:

TitaniumTroy

I swear I am no subjectivist, how ever I do bow at the alter of Ribbon/Planer speakers. Well some them at least, need to hear some Apogee's again(Graz's Refurb models this time), also Audio Analysis and GT Audio's latest. Also Acoustat.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I swear I am no subjectivist, how ever I do bow at the alter of Ribbon/Planer speakers. Well some them at least, need to hear some Apogee's again(Graz's Refurb models this time), also Audio Analysis and GT Audio's latest. Also Acoustat.

Welcome to the club. I too am partial to the panel. There are a few of us here. You no doubt already knew that about Ray Dunzl.

Top Bottom