• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CES 2017: Master Video and Technology Thread

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And this huge plane that took off vertically with four props and then converts to a plane by rotating them forward and shutting off the rear engines:

093A8498.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
These guys crack me up. At first I could not figure out what they were doing there as their equipment looked like serious military. Then I got it: it is anti-drone technology! It beamed something nasty at the drones causing them to fall off the sky!

093A8501.jpg

Looks like I left out their tag line from the above picture but it was something like, "you send up, we bring them down!"

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Pretty neat but simple device. Inflatable curve pad that you stand on to work while standing up. Gives you core strength like the balls do but with much more comfort. Way too expensive though:

093A8505.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Intel had a series of talks, this one from a company they acquired that had built a very low power neural computing engine. I know, what you wanted for Christmas. Instead of having artificial intelligence in the sky where Intel doesn't get to sell much units, they want you to have one one your desktop:

093A8507.jpg

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
So I was asked to look into this Universal remote from NEEO.

View attachment 5092 View attachment 5093 View attachment 5094

It is a remote with a base station. The remote had a very responsive touch screen, low-weight and long battery life. Alas, no inductive charging. You had to put it in a cradle to charge with pins that connect to it. In my experience these pins can corrode and stop working (shared this with them).

I was surprised that the base station had no connectivity other than Ethernet. I asked them how it was going to control other displays with IR or Serial ports. The presenter was surprised I was asking for such old interfaces saying he thought consumer devices had open interfaces. I told him that was a poor assumption. I worry that their view of home automation is way too simplistic thinking this idealized environment where all devices are IP (network) controlled.

The device is a kickstarter project and seemed pretty finished from hardware point of view but they could not demo any functionality. I wish them luck. They seemed like nice people but have picked a very difficult problem to try to solve.
It's been vaporware for a long time; another kickstopper. Automation is very complicated. There are many code databases and many different ways devices can be controlled. Even if it only worked over TCP/IP there would have to be IP converters to other codes like IR/ RS232 etc. There are companies like Global Cache who make such devices. But it's folly to think that everything can be solved with one remote control device.

D

Deleted member 65

The movie Hidden Figures is making rounds and IBM had a suite outside of the main hall where they were showing a neat app where if you scanned a bargraph from one of the women, it would overlay a 3-D image of that person over the live video. You could rotate and all. Pretty cool one-off-project.

View attachment 5124
View attachment 5123

We didn't execute projects of this magnitude while I worked at them ... ;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
This was the second of two shots.

You can't hold your liquor, can you?

Amazing how stable it came out even though it is handheld. You can see a pretty nice image of the right channel speaker there.

I've become stable, but it takes a little more than two shots.

The curtains were the "it's a room" giveaway for me. The rest, not too sure. Got the zoom (or motion) part, noted the lack of jitter (I know you hate jitter), and considered multiple exposure.

I don't do multiple exposures on only two shots.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

I suspect (USPS) that there are certain unavoidable inefficiencies when you essentially visit every mailbox every day whether there is any mail for that box or not. They have to see if there is any to pick up, so, they can't skip you.

"The USPS as of February 2015 has 617,254 active employees and operated 211,264 vehicles in 2014. The USPS is the operator of the largest civilian vehicle fleet in the world.[2] The USPS is legally obligated to serve all Americans, regardless of geography, at uniform price and quality."

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There was a high-res suite right in the main hall at CES. They had a handful of companies showing their stuff including AudioQuest, DTS, etc.

093A8511.jpg
093A8512.jpg
093A8513.jpg
093A8514.jpg
093A8515.jpg
093A8516.jpg
093A8517.jpg

Attachments

• 093A8518.jpg
    093A8518.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 230
Top Bottom