• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CES 2017: Martin Logan

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Martin Logan Speakers
093A8187.jpg

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There was a really off-putting effect here. The sound out of the left speaker was coming out way lower than right. Where the sound emanates was directly proportional to how high my ear was. As I would stand, it would move up with me. But I could not figure out why on the left channel with the same ear height, the sound would come out a good foot or two lower. It was at the bottom of the panel on the left channel. Speakers were pretty symmetrical relative to where I was sitting.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just used Shazam to discover The Letter by Eva Cassidy. https://shz.am/t221768

Sounded pretty grungy. Sounds somewhat like that listening to above youtube so may have been the content.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just used Shazam to discover Makin' Whoopee (Reprise) by Branford Marsalis. https://shz.am/t45532120

Due to extreme channel separation this track really showed the weird height difference between channels. I will try to listen on my system to see if that effect is there too.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
ML should hire me to set up their rooms, I guess.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There was a really off-putting effect here. The sound out of the left speaker was coming out way lower than right. Where the sound emanates was directly proportional to how high my ear was. As I would stand, it would move up with me. But I could not figure out why on the left channel with the same ear height, the sound would come out a good foot or two lower. It was at the bottom of the panel on the left channel. Speakers were pretty symmetrical relative to where I was sitting.
Ray would know much better than I but off hand I'd say the vertical tilt was slightly off?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

I suppose it could offend the King's Ear if the rake were unequal, but that isn't something I've noticed as being critical to get exactly right.

On the other hand, I probably haven't had mine grossly unequal, so would need to experiment with that. Maybe after Part III of Measurements for Dummies comes out so I don't make a mistake in that area.

More likely something dumb. On mine, my first guess might be to check the power cord for the bias supply. As the high voltage supply for the diaphragm leaks down, the sound goes dull slowly, as the woofer output remains strong but the panel fades over an hour or so.

But the pair being remotely and third-party scrutinized have an active woofer, so being un-plugged would kill the bottom, and might be more obvious in a different way.

My first CD player one day developed a half-wave output - no negative excursion on one channel. That took a while to figure out.

HAL, what do you think?

Well, I don’t think there is any question about it. It can only be attributable to human error. This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been due to human error.

Come on, HAL, they're crap. You have the data. Nobody likes them, it's been scientifically proven beyond doubt. This must simply be another reason why.

Just a moment ... just a moment ... I've just picked up a fault in the AE35 unit. It's going to go a hundred percent failure within seventy-two hours.

Ok HAL, have fun, I'm going to look at the picture again:

Left speaker "may" to be toed out more than the right, and possibly an inch closer to the listener. If the shrine is a valid centerline (seems to be), the left speaker is a little more distant from center.

upload_2017-1-11_13-49-10.png

Left speaker "may" be more vertical than the right. Reflection height of a side-light isn't equal, but I'm not real confident about this off-angle reflection, or even if it is the same source in both speakers.

You'd normally observe this (and toe angle) with a central light, like, on your nose, to get a nice visual indication of rake angle and toe from the point of reflection in the panels. You'd want to see equal height and lateral position for the reflection of the point light at the sweet spot.

upload_2017-1-11_13-37-40.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Woo Hoo, I've been vindicated (almost, maybe) :)

Left speaker "may" be more vertical than the right. Reflection height of a side-light isn't equal, but I'm not real confident about this off-angle reflection, or even if it is the same source in both speakers.

You'd normally observe this (and toe angle) with a central light, like, on your nose, to get a nice visual indication of rake angle and toe from the point of reflection in the panels.

index.php

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
From this picture, posted in the "What would you buy on looks alone" thread...

There's a central window behind the photographer, so a better "reflection" analysis.

Top circle - the height of the window frame cross piece is at almost the same height on each speaker - very close, within an inch or less, vertically, so they both have the same rake angle.

Bottom circle - whatever it is reflecting, maybe part of the unseen window, same height.

Vertical line - center bar of the window reflection very close on each speaker, just inside the centerline of the panel.

Reflection on the top of the frame - seems to be another window crosspiece - same height (unmarked)

upload_2017-1-12_22-27-29.png

Good symmetery on the distances and toe of both speakers and both woofer cabs.

upload_2017-1-12_22-38-6.png

I'd say these have been very carefully set up, and probably sound like it, too.

ML and Krell... Works for me...

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-12_22-35-32.png
    upload_2017-1-12_22-35-32.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Yeah, but, who cares?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Despite the expense incurred buying and/or possibly restoring that system, two more things have occurred to me:

1. No room treatments visible...

2. Those freaking doors must be 12 feet tall.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The girl looks staged, the rest looks relaxed enough to just be what it is.

Where would you even find a pair of those to stage?

And for what? Looks too recent to be any sales thing for the equipment in there.

I think it's the girl's ballet practice boombox.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Are there speakers in that picture?

Top Bottom