• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CES 2017: IsoAcoustics, Cocktail Audio, SPL, Focal

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
More in the family of Audio Plus Services. I like the IsoAcoustic folks. They have a stand that lets the speaker go back and forth but not side to side. It is "reasonably priced."

When I walked they were just finishing setting up an AB test of with and without the above stand:

upload_2017-1-5_22-32-19.png

upload_2017-1-5_22-32-43.png

This SPL headphone amp (?) is cute as heck!

upload_2017-1-5_22-33-3.png

upload_2017-1-5_22-33-28.png

Roon UI:

upload_2017-1-5_22-33-42.png

upload_2017-1-5_22-33-53.png

upload_2017-1-5_22-34-0.png

upload_2017-1-5_22-34-7.png

upload_2017-1-5_22-34-13.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As I was saying, they did the side by side demo:

index.php

The music was James Taylor: https://www.shazam.com/track/248885888/stretch-of-the-highway#referrer=shz.am

The difference with stands was remarkable. Both imaging and high frequency content changed.

Was the stand???? Or was it the fact that once the stand was added the tweeter height changed and speaker locations were different. Hard to imagine there was much side to side motion to have it make this much difference.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Thanks for the photos, @amirm

I have a set of IsoAcoustics for my desktop LSR305s and they're amazingly effective.

Argossy even makes a set of stands that have IsoAcoustics built into the top plate:

product_istands.jpg

astr0b0y

I have wanted to try these isolation stands for a while now. The stumping underfloor where my setup is placed is very unstable, termite eaten and quite jelly like so I wonder whether these would assist in combatting the wobble. I can see my speakers and stands sway just from me tapping my feet from the MLP.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I have wanted to try these isolation stands for a while now. The stumping underfloor where my setup is placed is very unstable, termite eaten and quite jelly like so I wonder whether these would assist in combatting the wobble. I can see my speakers and stands sway just from me tapping my feet from the MLP.

If it's as bad as you say, I don't think IsoAcoustics will completely solve your problem. They're best for getting rid of vibration, not gross shaking.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This SPL headphone amp (?) is cute as heck!
It sure is.
I quick looked into it a bit. Appears to be a combo Preamp-Headphone amp that also has a optional DAC module that can be added. Has a bunch of interesting controls for doing adjustment of crossfeed and angle to give a more speaker like soundstage presentation with headphones. Looks like SPL has a couple of headphone amps like this offering various presentation adjustment options.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It sure is.
I quick looked into it a bit. Appears to be a combo Preamp-Headphone amp that also has a optional DAC module that can be added. Has a bunch of interesting controls for doing adjustment of crossfeed and angle to give a more speaker like soundstage presentation with headphones. Looks like SPL has a couple of headphone amps like this offering various presentation adjustment options.

You left out the most important feature:

VU meters!

I almost got one, but there aren't any t00bz to play with.

Olli

Forum Donor
As I was saying, they did the side by side demo:

index.php

The music was James Taylor: https://www.shazam.com/track/248885888/stretch-of-the-highway#referrer=shz.am

The difference with stands was remarkable. Both imaging and high frequency content changed.

Was the stand???? Or was it the fact that once the stand was added the tweeter height changed and speaker locations were different. Hard to imagine there was much side to side motion to have it make this much difference.

Amir, did you get some for your Revels?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir, did you get some for your Revels?
I'm curious about whether the isoAcoustics stands work as described. I have a pair for my LS50s, which I've used occasionally over the years. I haven't been wild about the results, though they do seem to isolate the speakers from whatever surface they're placed on.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm curious about whether the isoAcoustics stands work as described. I have a pair for my LS50s, which I've used occasionally over the years. I haven't been wild about the results, though they do seem to isolate the speakers from whatever surface they're placed on.
I have a pair off these...
http://www.isoacoustics.com/iso-130-isolation-stands/
They seem to stop vibration into my desk that was distracting, and get my speakers to what I think it's the correct height, and being open I can still get to junk behind them on my desk. But I cannot say they sounded better than a pile of books. What measurements would show improvement, or not.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't know, and I find the technical premise underlying this product--that speakers should be free to rock from front to back but not from side to side--perplexing.
Seems exactly the opposite of what even just common sense would dictate. Why would you ever want speaker movement to modulate the cones excursion? Nope, I don't think so.

Top Bottom