• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CES 2017: Genesis Technologies, SMC Audio, Transfiguration, Viva Audio

garylkoh

Technical Expert
It's not - Patent# US4105212 - filed in 1978. The PA is the latest iteration of the Ogura fine line diamond profile.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just used Shazam to discover Memphis Soul Stew (Live @ Fillmore West) by King Curtis. https://shz.am/t629800

Gary said this is a special release LP. Later versions and digital were produced from a remaster that screwed up the mix.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just used Shazam to discover Billie Jean (Live) by The Civil Wars. https://shz.am/t78580679

One of my favorites from my favorite band, Civil Wars. Alas I find the quality of their digital recordings wanting. Not so here. The LP sounded delightful.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They definitely create noise and sometimes microphony. How much depends on the tube and implementation. But if paired with solid state amps you don't need to use horns. I find a tube pre + Class D amp has no issues.
Sounds like a "Frank" response. LOL

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, last but certainly not least in my audio adventures was a great dinner hosted by Gary which he allowed me to crash:

093A8459.jpg

No doubt you recognize me, the King of Audio, at the end of the table, slightly to the right, wearing my $5,000 Armani Jacket (not all true).

To my left from your viewpoint is Amedeo Schembri, chief designer of Viva amplifiers.

Next to the left is Gary Koh, one of the nicest audiophiles and manufacturers I have had the pleasure of meeting.

Next to him is Steve McCormack of SMC Audio.

Sitting next to him is Carol, Gary's sister. I show know the last two but I am afraid I don't know their names :).

Rotating to my right is Kenneth whose company builds most of the jobsite radios for major manufacturers like Milwaukee, Hilti, etc. Super nice guy and solved my problem of what to get to make music in my shop! (answer: Milwaukee).

Next to him is one of the most social guys I have run into, Rick Brown of Hi-Fi One in Carlsbad, California -- one of the nicest places in california.

This was an Argentinian Steak house and boy did we have great food, conversation and all out fun!

Gary has a knack for surrounding himself with such nice people -- present company excluded of course!

garylkoh

Technical Expert
I just used Shazam to discover Billie Jean (Live) by The Civil Wars. https://shz.am/t78580679

One of my favorites from my favorite band, Civil Wars. Alas I find the quality of their digital recordings wanting. Not so here. The LP sounded delightful.

Wow! Thanks, Amir. Watching Joy Williams perform this makes it all the more sensuous. Unfortunately, despite all my efforts, I have not been able to find a good digital recording from the Civil Wars that convey the energy and emotion that I know that they are so able to put across to their audience. The LP I played was this:

Civil Wars Unplugged.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wow! Thanks, Amir. Watching Joy Williams perform this makes it all the more sensuous.
I think she wrote the book on being sensuous without dressing as such! Amazing how she can do that with her singing alone. One of my all time favorite duos....

garylkoh

Technical Expert
I think she wrote the book on being sensuous without dressing as such! Amazing how she can do that with her singing alone. One of my all time favorite duos....

Listening to Billie Jean off the LP sound like we are voyeurs watching the couple at foreplay :)

This is the actual performance that was captured - but I have to say that while the fidelity off YouTube is pretty good, listening to the digital without the visual loses the sensuality....... why is that? What did we miss in the reproduction?

Top Bottom