• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CES 2017: Elac (Andrew Jones)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Elac (Andrew Jones)
093A7791.jpg

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just used Shazam to discover Pictures At An Exhibition (Hut of the Baba Yaga and the Great Gate of Kiev) by California Guitar Trio. https://shz.am/t10068556

Audio Alchemy electronics.

Very nice and detailed. Clearly a big step over current Elac speakers.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Umm, starting to look the same as the pioneer/TAD designs Andrew Jones did..
Going thru these intros so many times over the years. You start to realize a guy can only stuff a few drivers in a box so different many ways. LOL

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Going thru these intros so many times over the years. You start to realize a guy can only stuff a few drivers in a box so different many ways. LOL
Yep:D

It's drivers in a box, just kinda rounded off round the back ( or just tapered in) with jonesy... And loves a coaxial.

Nothing to see here...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes. That's true. I can. Pretty much applies to all box speakers unless the laws of physics changed while I wasn't looking
Hey Andrew, A Warm Welcome to our little home!
Nice to have you here.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yes. That's true. I can. Pretty much applies to all box speakers unless the laws of physics changed while I wasn't looking
Hi Andrew thanks for taking the time to sign up and post here, I own a pair of your Elac B6 speakers and was blown away with how well they performed given modest outlay.

When designing the new range of 'mid' priced Elac's that your showing at CES did you have any new technologies/materials at your disposal that allowed for a significant step forward in performance from the excellent work you did with pioneer/TAD?

Thanks once again for your time.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Andrew great to see you here, does joining Elac mean no more driving along Santa Monica boulevard?
BW Keith

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Thank you so much for popping by!

I'm curious about a few things:

1. I believe the upcoming active UB5 uses class AB on the upper end and Class D on the bass. At first blush, this would seem to complicate the design instead of going all Class D across the board. Can you comment on this?

2. Some of the active speakers coming to market have rudimentary EQ (for placement near vs far from a wall, stand vs shelf) via an app. What do you think of this? Pros vs cons?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Andrew. Please allow me to extend my warm welcome to the forum just the same. We met just before you left Pioneer and was amazed at the sound you were getting out of the speakers you designed for them (the $299 (?) ones).

Top Bottom