• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CES 2017: Audioengine

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
093A7984.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I asked them to play Yello to determine the bass quality: I just used Shazam to discover The Rhythm Divine by Yello. https://shz.am/t10097900

It sounded decent but the bass was really tubby.

Old Listener

I've had a pair of HD6s for 1+ months and played a lot of music through them. I'm very happy with them. I certainly haven't had a problem with tubby sound. Our Audioengine A5s reminded me of Henry Kloss designs: not the ultimate but always a pleasure to listen to. The HD6s have the same virtue but they sound considerably higher up the audio quality ladder.

I tried them in living room and library room situations (20' by 15' by 9' for the library) where I'm listening in the far field where they sounded quite good. Then I moved them to my home office where I listen in the near field (2.5 - 3 feet) in an irregularly shaped smallish room. They are angled with respect to the wall 7" behind them and are about 5" off the desk. I have the speakers tilted up slightly so that the tweeters are pointed at my ears. I'll probably raise them a couple of inches and get rid of the tilt.

I listened to the Yello Devine video through the HD6s and heard nothing that I'd identify as tubby sound. Tried again with higher volume and still no tubbiness.

The HD6s list for $ 750 and sell for that normally. Audioengine had them on sale for $ 600 in the Black Friday / Cyber Monday period.

Old Listener

Do you play them sitting on the table like they have?

As I said, 5" off the desk.

audioengine%20HD6%20speakers_P1040746.jpg

The books and DVD cases under the speakers are just a temporary way for me to find the right height. I expect to raise the shelf above them and try a bit higher "stands".

That shelf is 10' long and has 5 rather hard to budge supports so the books and DVD cases may be around a while longer.

Top Bottom