• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CES 2017: Any Requests?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Bought an HTC vive for the kids it is fantastic, there aren't too many games available for it at the moment though, my fourteen year old put together the spec and built the Pc to run it.
I can't see how it can't be the future of gaming.
Keith

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Dirac and any active loudspeakers.

skypickle

too bad nura wont be there. I was curious to see how they calibrate headphones to the individual's audio sensitivity in less than a minute.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Dirac and any active loudspeakers.
Will do. Hopefully Dirac has something new for computers. Last couple of years they have only shown automotive OEM stuff.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Emotiva has a line of active and powered speakers based on pretty much the same drivers.
Curious as to your impression on the sound of that folded ribbon tweeter they're using.
TIA

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Emotiva has a line of active and powered speakers based on pretty much the same drivers.
Curious as to your impression on the sound of that folded ribbon tweeter they're using.
TIA
Sure, I will listen again.

D

Deleted member 65

Intentionally splitting the fabric of space time .. the force is with me ... ;-)

Sony's announcing there first venture into OLED TV's, pls Amir (remember the force is with me).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Intentionally splitting the fabric of space time .. the force is with me ... ;-)

Sony's announcing there first venture into OLED TV's, pls Amir (remember the force is with me).
I plan to go and see that probably on Sunday.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
TIA

Technically, it's not a ribbon...

[begin pedanthole]

(@Sal1950 , I'm sorry for being a pedanthole after calling you out on waveguide vs horn but, as you say, this is ASR and we have technical accuracy standards to maintain...)

The Emotiva line uses an Air Motion Transformer (AMT) tweeter, which, to quote Wikipedia:

"it operates on a different transduction principle than other loudspeaker designs, such as moving coil, planar magnetic or electrostatically driven loudspeakers, and should not be confused with planar or true ribbon loudspeakers."

Ribbons are planar and operate in a front/back motion, while the AMT squeezes like an accordion.

[/end pedanthole]

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
BTW,
If your in the Sony video booth, I'm on the edge of getting a
Sony XBR75X940D
The 9D is way over my $ head.
Thoughts if you see it.
Really just waiting on some end of series pricing.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The best immersive VR experience I've had used goggles like this:

71WiytOPdzL._SX355_.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Will be posting the pictures and notes later but yes, they showed a bunch of them but they are OEM products from LG. Their value add is supposed to be in their processing but I remain doubtful that they have done anything special there. And with buying the OLED by LG, it will likely be more expensive.

Top Bottom