• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CES 2016: Dayton Audio Constant Beam Transducer (CBT) Speakers

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only a goal. Before late summer. Also waiting for the right DSP to sell with it. There are no DSP units today that meet the criterias.

What are your requirements for the DSP such that current offerings are insufficient?

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
What are your requirements for the DSP such that current offerings are insufficient?
A DSP that measures well enough (more or less transparent and low noise level) has a good and readible display on distance, remote controlled, software that's easy to use, sufficient processor power and EQ capabilitites, not overally expensive (like Trinnov and some other units), the ability to lock part of the settings, and there are some other features that would be an advantage.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Will new ones require a subwoofer for music listening?
No, not really. They will go quite low in frequency without any EQ and further with. The main reason for using a subwoofer would be to even out the frequency response with a different placement and lower distortion if the subwoofer holds very high quality.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
My concern lies more with ragged HF directivity (at least for those using widebanders) and complex lobing patterns (eg. side lobes as you said) vs the typical multi-way format (relatively sparse, narrowband lobes), despite the clear ability to minimise floor and ceiling bounce. You gain a massive advantage in minimising the bounce, but I'm not sure whether it outweighs the cost. Not saying it doesn't, but I really don't know which way it goes. Really excited to see your product though. Do you know how the JBL Professional CBTs perform vs the designs Keele has released independently (from Parts Express, Selah Audio and you iirc).
While I've sold a few JBL CBTs for PA use, I don't see how they can compete with a well designed CBT speaker for home use. Either too large and/or too few drivers and the "coxial design" (drivers placed behind the others) must yield problems with a fairly high crossover.

Something that's worth mentioning is that a well designed CBT will remain the horizontal directivity lower in frequency compared to a lot of speakers that are considered to measure well. Take a look at the measurement of Revel F35 and you'll notice that it looses its directivity already around 1 Khz. IMO that's way too high to be considered a speaker that measures very well. Vertically it's also having issues as we know.

With the CBT the horizontal directivity will remain down to 500 Hz or lower, while there may be some narrow side lobes depending on the model. The result combined with the text book vertical directivity is that the overall response is generally very even quite low in frequency in most rooms.

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A DSP that measures well enough (more or less transparent and low noise level) has a good and readible display on distance, remote controlled, software that's easy to use, sufficient processor power and EQ capabilitites, not overally expensive (like Trinnov and some other units), the ability to lock part of the settings, and there are some other features that would be an advantage.

Driverack Venu360 fits many of those bills though? No remote and no easy access to volume control are the main drawbacks IMO.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
There are several processors in the professional market similar to the Driverack Venu360. But without the remote controller and an industrial design that doesn't look good it's a no go. Often they are lacking in other areas too.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are several processors in the professional market similar to the Driverack Venu360. But without the remote controller and an industrial design that doesn't look good it's a no go. Often they are lacking in other areas too.

True. Not a problem if one just hides all the electronics away like I do, but I see your point from a commercial point of view :) (and a remote would indeed be highly useful)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm working on both horns and CBTs. A CBT with wide dispersion is really a much better backround speaker in a decent size room. The horn has other strengths. By the way, a CBT speaker can also be designed with a narrow horizontal directivity.
Got any photos's of your horn designs to share? ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom