• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Centres as LCR

Hifisound

Hi all,

Inorder to get better (potential) SPL handling and seamless sound, I was thinking of using 3 centres for LCR
The speakers in consideration are KEF Q650C and ELAC C6.2
I plan to keep L & R vertical (though for KEF I can keep all 3 horizontal) as MTM design
I want to avoid floorstanders, to keep all speakers (except subs) off the floor in the living room.

I just wanted to confirm if this approach is better than using corresponding bookshelfs for L & R (Q350 and ELAC B6.2 which would be my sides and surrounds anyways)
Or there won't be much benefit (maybe something to do with the drivers used in centres)
My room is 22 ft W x 14 ft L x 9.5 ft H, and non AT screen (and hence centre would have to be at the top or bottom of the screen) being on the longer wall

Thanks!

Last edited:

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am of the opinion that it is better to have identical speakers across the L-C-R front, and to have them positioned in the same manner. This is not always easy to accomplish with all the other components and rack(s) and the TV screen. I researched these issues a few years ago, and ended up deciding on the use of two center channel speakers, positioned to the left and right of the TV screen. Thus I have four speakers across the front and I have all of them positioned vertically.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Inorder to get better (potential) SPL handling and seamless sound, I was thinking of using 3 centres for LCR
You are correct that ultimately using identical speakers across the front is the best approach though difficult to achieve in many cases including mine.
If you keep the KEF's all horizontally as designed you should be good to go but mixing the radiation patterns with a vertical/horizontal mix would end you back at no advantage as the speakers would then sound different.

OP
H

Hifisound

I.... and ended up deciding on the use of two center channel speakers, positioned to the left and right of the TV screen. Thus I have four speakers across the front and I have all of them positioned vertically.

Interesting, though won't be possible for me, given the way my wall is..

... but mixing the radiation patterns with a vertical/horizontal mix would end you back at no advantage as the speakers would then sound different.

Hmm, in that case it would work as intended only for KEF or some 3 way centres, which all can be kept horizontal.
Or 3 ways which allow tweeter and mid to be rotated....

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting, though won't be possible for me, given the way my wall is..

Hmm, in that case it would work as intended only for KEF or some 3 way centres, which all can be kept horizontal.

Yes, I agree. Keep all speakers of the same orientation, either all vertical or all horizontal. And for many types of speakers vertical is better than horizontal.

Vasr

Major Contributor
You are correct that ultimately using identical speakers across the front is the best approach though difficult to achieve in many cases including mine.

Yes, preferred if feasible but not absolutely necessary to have L and R be the same as C under the following conditions in my experience

1. You are using a sub for all three for the lower frequencies. Speakers differ a lot in their low end sound quality and three "large" speakers are more difficult to match than three "small" speakers.
2. You are using a room eq in the chain. This can tame some of the "exaggerations" in one speaker if you use the same target curve as long as the speakers are not too far off.
3. You let the room eq or the channel balance in the AVR to balance the volume levels and delays correctly between the three.

A center selected for its excellent mid-range capabilities than L and R works better than three matched ones with mediocre mid-range quality and response.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
H

Hifisound

Have you given any consideration to a coaxial driver like the HSU CCB-8 ?
Just a thought.

Yes. Hence the inclination towards KEF.
HSU is not available in India.

I wish KEF had a bookshelf version of Q950 :)

OP
H

Hifisound

Another model which looks very interesting is the KRK Rokit 10-3 G4, due to rotating tweeter and mid. Should make a very powerful LCR (with ROKIT 8 G4 for sides). Though will need to buy AVR with pre outs which means ignoring the amp section or using it only for atmos channels (dedicated processors are costly)
Opens up possibility for wireless surrounds though...

TimW

Major Contributor
Can you get Infinity Speakers in India? The RC263 has very good performance and would be a good option at a lower price than the KEF's. I expect the KEF's also measure quite well though. The ELAC's on the other hand do not look ideal since they are a simple MTM design with most likely uneven horizontal dispersion.

OP
H

Hifisound

Behringer 2031A would be another good alternative. Anybody had a chance to compare 2031A to KRK Rokit 10-3 / 8 ?

Top Bottom