• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Centre speaker suggestions

mansr

Major Contributor
I need a new centre speaker. Any recommendations for not too much above £500 (less obviously good)? Preferably, it should fit in a 200 mm (8") high space.

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
Seems like availability is quite poor in the UK. Would you be willing to use a speaker that's not branded as a center speaker?
Availability of what? I don't care about branding as long as it does the job.

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
All the competent center speakers that have been measured by Amir and Erin.
I checked the review index, and it listed only 3 centre speakers, two of which were not recommended. Hence the question.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What main speakers are you using?
It could be interesting to have similar crossover frequencies and orders in the center channel to avoid too much phase issues between channels.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I checked the review index, and it listed only 3 centre speakers, two of which were not recommended. Hence the question.

Not sure about measurements, but JBL Studio 520C works well in my HT 5.1 setup. Sale price is often half of the retail and way below your budget (I paid $150 for it a couple of years ago). Should fit easily in 8" vertical space. Don't know about availability in the UK.

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
What main speakers are you using?
It could be interesting to have similar crossover frequencies and orders in the center channel to avoid too much phase issues between channels.
Front left/right are B&W CM6 S2. Current centre is an older B&W 600 series. The tweeter surround has deteriorated, so a replacement seems timely.

Colonel7

Emotiva C1+ fits your size criteria and is 3-way. Same family as the B1+ that measured well here

Frgirard

Major Contributor
All those read Toole know the center speaker is the major part.

flipflop

One of the 'not recommended' speakers can be fixed with EQ.

Anyway, I recommend that you check out KEF Q350.
It has very uniform vertical directivity, which becomes the horizontal directivity when the speaker is placed on its side. The listening window consistency is "excellent", the ERDI is smooth (making equalizing an easy task), and the bass response is deep enough for a typical 80 Hz crossover.

Last edited:
OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
what's wrong with replacing the tweeter??
Effort. That of obtaining a replacement, as well as the labour of installing it, which may well be non-trivial. If I can replace the whole thing with something better, now is the time to do so.

Colonel7

Those are both unobtainium in the UK.

Is the KEF Q250C worth considering? What about SVS Prime, or are they only good at making subs?
Sorry - no idea on the SVS 3-way center. Karma AV is listed as the Emotiva UK dealer, maybe you can special order from them? Not sure how pressed you are on time. Might be worth a call.

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
I went ahead and got the SVS. It's a 3-way, the price is good, and it was available for next-day delivery. Can't say I notice a huge difference, but it's definitely not worse. Being a centre speaker, the main thing of importance to me is clarity of dialogue, and so far it's doing fine.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would look for the cheap 3 way. KEF would be at the top of my list for their proven excellent measurements, and their coaxial driver will be ideal for center speaker off axis performance(which is where most centers fail).

Not sure about UK prices(I know they're different) but Q250c seems to fit the bill.

*Edit: Should have read the thread before posting. Glad you got a 3 way.

Top Bottom