• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Center speaker "upgrade" to in-wall, any thoughts?

TomekNet

Hi! I currently have a 7.2.4 HT speaker system powered by Purifi nad Hypex amps, with KEF R3's and R2c as LCR.
Soon I'll be moving in to a new apartment and I'd like to move all my AV-electronics into a hidden locker in the corner of the living room, clearing out the space under my oled TV. For now I want to keep R3's (as a part of my stereo setup), but I'm thinking of swapping R2c for an in-wall central speaker (to really clear out the space under TV).

I've already pre-selected some speakers in my current budget:
- Dali Phantom M-250
- Klipsch THX-504-L
- Paradigm CI Pro P1
I know none will probably match R2c sound (hence quotes in the topic for "upgrade"), but will any of those be good enough?

I've also consider waiting a bit and saving more money for:
- Focal 300 IW6LCR
- KEF Ci3160RL-THX
But they are more expensive (KEF is twice as expensive). Is it worth it?

Last edited:

Skyro

The landlord is going to let you install an in-wall speaker in your new apartment?!?

If I were you I would just get a stand for the center channel. I wouldn't bother with the hassle of in-walls unless I was moving to a new construction house where I could pre-wire everything. Or if not a new construction perhaps a false wall setup to hide everything.

OP
TomekNet

TomekNet

The landlord is going to let you install an in-wall speaker in your new apartment?!?

If I were you I would just get a stand for the center channel. I wouldn't bother with the hassle of in-walls unless I was moving to a new construction house where I could pre-wire everything. Or if not a new construction perhaps a false wall setup to hide everything.

I'm buying this apartment so I'm free to do any changes.
And I will wire everything for sure during its light renovation / repainting (including surround in-wall and Atmos in-ceiling speakers)

Skyro

I'm buying this apartment so I'm free to do any changes.
And I will wire everything for sure during its light renovation / repainting (including surround in-wall and Atmos in-ceiling speakers)
Ah ok then. Personally I don't think "tonality" matching the LCR is as big of a deal as people make it but in this particular case since you are running coaxial speakers it probably is worth it to match in this case. Plus coaxial centers have a lot of advantages over MTM centers.

Top Bottom