• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Center speaker: Infinity/Harmon RC263 or Revel C12

mikhailf

I am getting JBL Studio 580 for the basement with high background noise floor, it is 2.1 setup with SVS PB-10000 PRO sub and large open area.
Listening position is about 12-13 feet from the speakers. Left and right front speakers are 9 feet apart.

Which center channel 3-way speaker would you recommend and why?
1. Infinity/Harmon RC263
2. Revel C12

Both are available in "New" condition from 3rd party private sellers for about the same price - less than new SVS Ultra and less than out-of-stock Monolith THX-C365. I am not going to spend $1K+ on regarded Revel C208 at the moment.

Mainly music listening and occasional movies.

Thank you!

OP
M

mikhailf

not in commercial quantities, lol

i hope to get it from a member.

OP
M

mikhailf

ebay has a listing for a brand new in a box. i got it from a member on avsforum

gbrnole

i have a Revel C12 that i like a lot. the only downside to it (for me), and it's similar for the RC263, is that you need to get the speaker angled up towards your listening position so it's vertically on axis. it's more relatively designed for the "olden days" when a center speaker would have been set on top of a big screen tv cabinet so you get a flat response from an elevated position but a dip at ~2.5khz when it's positioned lower down.

OP
M

mikhailf

i have a Revel C12 that i like a lot. the only downside to it (for me), and it's similar for the RC263, is that you need to get the speaker angled up towards your listening position so it's vertically on axis. it's more relatively designed for the "olden days" when a center speaker would have been set on top of a big screen tv cabinet so you get a flat response from an elevated position but a dip at ~2.5khz when it's positioned lower down.
Thank you.

Kimbrough Xu

I am getting JBL Studio 580 for the basement with high background noise floor, it is 2.1 setup with SVS PB-10000 PRO sub and large open area.
Listening position is about 12-13 feet from the speakers. Left and right front speakers are 9 feet apart.

1. Infinity/Harmon RC263
2. Revel C12

Both are available in "New" condition from 3rd party private sellers for about the same price - less than new SVS Ultra and less than out-of-stock Monolith THX-C365. I am not going to spend $1K+ on regarded Revel C208 at the moment.

Thank you!
Why do you need a center speaker?

OP
M

mikhailf

Why do you need a center speaker?
for the same reason most people prefer stereo vs mono. Center channel gives clear vocals with movies and helps with having balanced surround/spatial audio.

However, sometimes when I listen to music in stereo mode (without center) it's impossible to tell whether it it engaged or not because of stereo imaging and wide sound stage.

Kimbrough Xu

for the same reason most people prefer stereo vs mono. Center channel gives clear vocals with movies and helps with having balanced surround/spatial audio.

However, sometimes when I listen to music in stereo mode (without center) it's impossible to tell whether it it engaged or not because of stereo imaging and wide sound stage.
Why can you get clearer vocals from the center channel?

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Main Listening Position

ifoundacat

1. Infinity/Harmon RC263
2. Revel C12

Thank you!
What did you go for in the end?

Top Bottom