• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Center Channel Help - 8in depth constraint - struggling to find a contender

billymac

We're getting ready to kick-off a major kitchen remodel and also replacing our flooring. As part of all this, we're looking to make some other updates including potentially replacing our 5.1 speaker system. Unfortunately, I'm bound by a serious space constraint for my center channel. I've only got 8in of total depth to work with below our TV if it sits on the mantle, or alternatively, if I can find a center that can be wall mounted, I could go to maybe ~9in deep, but then overall height becomes an issue. You can see what I'm working with in the pic below and before I get ripped to shreds about the height of the TV, let me just say it is what it is. I cannot move it or change it. I'm simply playing with the hand I was dealt.

Current system is a ~20 year old pair of Def Tech bi-polars with integrated powered subs and then a Mythos center (bought to replace a def tech 2000CLR when we moved into this house due to the depth restriction). Surprisingly, the def tech's still sound good, but the Mythos center is the weakest link. It's okay, but thank goodness for Audyssey.

The space issue really stinks, because it eliminates so many great possibilities and their "matching" tower counterparts. At a high level, I understand the challenges in designing a good center in a small'ish design, but with all the focus on sound bars and "snack-sized" speakers, I would think we'd be seeing more good sounding passive options these days.

Am I missing any potential options that would work with my space constraints? I read the lengthy Polk R350 review thread hoping the later pages would reveal alternatives, but no joy. I see that DT now has a compact-sized DM20 center, but I'm not sure I want to go with active towers/integrated subs again and am not sure I'm sold on the new tower line aesthetics.

Any advice or guidance here is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

IMG_3575.jpg

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a similar situation as you. It's a tough one for sure. I punted and cut it back to a 2.1 system in that room and build out a home theater in my basement room with 7.2.4 with in wall speakers behind a 142" screen for my LCR. Everyone is happy! That's my advice. :)

OP
B

billymac

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I do not have that luxury. I need to make this environment work and I'm pretty confident it's possible with slim (see what I did there) expectations. I'm not interested in phantom center, although I have my eye on some strong 2 and 3-way floor standers, but come on. Help me solve this puzzle. It shouldn't be this hard. I've got 7.5in depth, ideally. 8in+ if I cut out for binding posts and wire.

I need more input, more data points. What say you.
IMG_3598.jpg

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I would be strongly considering Kef R6 Meta (US$2000/each) for your center channel, since your ear height is nowhere near the center channel vertical axis.
Coaxials will help greatly here.

1681879957600.png

Horizontal and vertical directivity:
1681879983736.png

Source:

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The McMansions are tough - everyone's neck always craned to see a little TV with sconces in the way too. All for a fireplace that gets used... somewhat less than the TV or speakers.

Kudos for hoping to make the most of it.

JSmith

Master Contributor
My concern is the height of that TV and possibly the heat from the fire (or is it fake?) ... ouch, my neck is sore just looking at it. :p

images

Screen Class (Diagonal)Screen HeightDistance: Floor to Bottom of Screen
50-inch25-1/2 inches29 inches
60-inch29-1/2 inches27 inches
75-inch37 inches22 inches
85-inch42 inches20 inches

JSmith

JktHifi

Move the TV and all speakers to the left and put curtain on the glass window so will be beautiful sounded

rationaltime

Look at the review of the Arendal 1961 Center/Monitor Speaker Review ($599).
It appears to fit your size constraints and has wide vertical directivity, which
helps in your configuration.

In any case before you buy any speaker maybe you should rock the center
speaker forward a bit to address the lower listening location.

You might consider this experiment. If listening while directly facing the screen
move the center speaker to the far edge of the table. Turn down the volume
and give it 10 ms delay so first sound comes from the mains. If listening from
the rocking chairs use two smaller speakers and angle them a bit to face the
chairs. It is a cheap experiment to see how you like it.

That is my suggestion.

Top Bottom