• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Center channel for Home Theater

What speaker options are best for Home Theater front stage

• Total voters

Descartes

Major Contributor
So I am curious what is best for home Theater
Option 1: Same identical speakers for all three fronts channels

Option 2: Same speakers for Left and Right and a horizontal designed center channel

All same brand and model series example:
Option 1: Three Revel F226be for L-C-R
Option 1: Two Revel F226be and C426be

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on the center, some centers are poor compromised designs like MTMs, other centers are borderline identical to their bookshelf cousins like the Kef R2C vs the Kef R3.

Identical is always optimal but for the good coaxial/3-way centers, they also perform well.

Teeter

I have a psb Imagine XC center channel and the front L/R are JBL A 130. Great Clarity and production from the psb. They don't have to be matching as the Center channel is the most important for MOVIES. It all works and I have a 5.1 HT

eboleyn

Forum Donor
I voted "identical L/C/R", by which I mean identical-ish properties/voicing, not necessarily actually identical speakers.

But personally I run L/R only using my HT processor's virtual center capability. I then toe in the speakers a moderate amount and that works reasonably well for up to mildly off-center listening.

aac

I'd always chose identical = same speaker if there is a placement possibility.

Trell

Major Contributor
I used to have a horizontal center speaker and replacing it with a bookshelf speaker (same series/models as the tower front/left) I got a better sound, especially when not sitting in the main listening position. The dialogue was much easier to understand with the bookshelf.

For me a tower speaker a center speaker would not work at all for space reasons, but I could fit in a bookshelf after I wall mounted my new LG OLED and bought a new AV rack.

The front speakers have all the same tonality, though, but the bookshelf does not have the same upper bass omph as the towers.

Tom C

Major Contributor
The choice for center channel is heavily influenced by the layout and limitations of the room.
Choice 1 is probably what most would do for a room dedicated to music listening only, so from that perspective could be said to be the preferred option if prioritizing sound quality. But to do that for a movie room, you would have to have a projector and acoustically transparent screen (compromising sound and video, however small), or position the monitor around (usually above) the center speaker (compromising video). Pick your poison.
For myself, I chose three of the same self powered, bookshelf size monitors for LCR. Right and left are on 32” stands, center is on a low stand angled up toward the listening position. Ideal doesn’t exist this side of Glory, so that’s the compromise I chose.
There are a few designs which would allow you to use three of the same speaker, and turn one on its side so it’ll fit under the viewing screen, e.g. coaxial. Tried that with mine (which is two driver, but not coaxial) but didn’t like it as much, so went back to vertical orientation. But there are a few designed specifically for that purpose.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I think the answer is clear...

Try to get the same LCR.
Unless you physically cannot place a speaker vertically (part of your LCR) below your TV/screen, in which case, get a good coaxial/3-way center horizontal speaker.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Best center speaker anyone?
Well, most affordable (and worthwhile) traditional 3-way center channel is the Infinity RC263 for US$150 (when on sale).

A traditional 3-way center channel that has the best "preference score" is the Revel C426Be.

Last edited:

Teeter

Select some speakers within your budget and read their reviews. People have different ears. My speakers are mainly for DD sound movies and some music. My center channel must have great movie voice clarity. I have to have a subwoofer too, both for DD sound and some music. Go with what your budget can afford and Read reviews.

sword

Unless you're frequently listening to multi-channel music, a center channel does not need to match the rest of the speakers, or come from the same brand. The idea that the "timbre" must be matched with like speakers is a myth that won't die.

Identical front speakers won't hurt, but it's impractical for most people. A well designed 3-way center speaker from a different brand can sound better than a poorly designed 2-way, MTM from the same brand.

Teeter

Up until January of this year, I had matching Klipsch RP series as fronts. I am a solid DD movie sound person and my below signature, says it all. That center channel was a vast improvement for me and I turned down the db a bit, and the audio EQ in the AVR, are on. For me, changing the mfg Center Channel, made a big difference and re-ran the AVR speaker calibration. Dialog for movies was much improved, for me. You don't have to have all matching fronts for best performance for DD movie audio.

sword

Up until January of this year, I had matching Klipsch RP series as fronts. I am a solid DD movie sound person and my below signature, says it all. That center channel was a vast improvement for me and I turned down the db a bit, and the audio EQ in the AVR, are on. For me, changing the mfg Center Channel, made a big difference and re-ran the AVR speaker calibration. Dialog for movies was much improved, for me. You don't have to have all matching fronts for best performance for DD movie audio.
What center do you have?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a psb Imagine XC center channel and the front L/R are JBL A 130. Great Clarity and production from the psb. They don't have to be matching as the Center channel is the most important for MOVIES. It all works and I have a 5.1 HT
@sword

At least a PSB Imagine XC ?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This really comes down to your screen/display and what tradoffs you want to accept. For example I have a 122" wide screen/front projector setup. Due to the screen size and seating and the fact that it is a regular screen (not accoustically transparent), the best option was 3 matching speakers below the screen angled up. I have had 3 Revel M16 and 3 Revel M106's but have settled on 3 C208's as I wanted to to play a better at louder volumes. I may someday go with an AT screen but this layout sounds really good and the picture isn't compromised with the AT screen. If you go with 3 identical speakers you might even consider 3 F208's.

Top Bottom