• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Center Channel Design Vs Spinorama Data

Beave

Major Contributor
OK, here's some of what I remember:

Polk LSiM704C three-way center: Too much upper bass emphasis, combined with a dip in the mid-tweeter crossover region, gave it a dark, almost muddy sound. Somewhat better with ports plugged but now has weak bass.

Energy C-C1 MTM center: A little too much bass emphasis, otherwise decent but not great on axis. Better with one port plugged. Bass gets a bit weak with both ports plugged.

Jamo C 10 MTM center: Too much bass and too much high treble, like a bathtub response with an EQ set to crank up the bass and the treble. Nice build quality though!

Jamo C 80 MTM center: Decent overall, some deviations from neutrality but nothing glaringly bad, but lacking a little spaciousness probably due to MTM layout

NHT Classic Two three-way center: Decent overall, slight tinny, forward in the midrange. A little better spaciousness in the mids than the MTMs.

NHT Classic Three three-way center: Decent overall, very similar to the Classic Two, just a little higher sensitivity (about 2dB louder, but once I compensate for that it sounded very similar, with the same slight tinny, forwardness somewhere in the midrange)

NHT C-LCR Three way center: Current model, probably my favorite out of these budget centers, fixes that tinniness in the midrange but now has a little too much emphasis in the upper treble

Top Bottom