• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cellulose absorbers, comparison to fiberglass

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey guys,

I'm redoing my little cave to eliminate a lot of the rockwool that has probably been shedding for the past 10 years. While I'm using foam, and know that it's inferior inch to inch, I am curious about cellulose absorbers. Are these just the same darn thing as rockwool, or safer (breathing).

Here's what I'm talking about though you can find them in several places under a few different brands I suppose:
https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/cellulose-panel/cellulose-panels.html

Thanks,
Paul

JohnnyHonda

Forum Donor
Paul

I am using various sound absorbers, mostly made of fiberglass but i did make a pillow from the cellulose material to absorb reflections coming off my leather chair. I covered the cellulose with acoustic fabric and it did the job. I didn’t want the fiberglass close to me and the cellulose did absorb the reflections and “soften” the sound.

OP
Xyrium

Xyrium

Forum Donor
Paul

I am using various sound absorbers, mostly made of fiberglass but i did make a pillow from the cellulose material to absorb reflections coming off my leather chair. I covered the cellulose with acoustic fabric and it did the job. I didn’t want the fiberglass close to me and the cellulose did absorb the reflections and “soften” the sound.
Thanks Johnny. This is good input. I'm very curious about this material as it does not appear to be in widespread use yet. The latter of which could be why after all this time, you've been the only person to respond.

JohnnyHonda

Forum Donor
Thanks Johnny. This is good input. I'm very curious about this material as it does not appear to be in widespread use yet. The latter of which could be why after all this time, you've been the only person to respond.

the fiberglass is definitely bad for your lungs and skin. The cellulose doesn’t bother me at all. I don’t remember the r factor but I think it’s pretty good.

OP
Xyrium

Xyrium

Forum Donor
I agree, though it depends on who you believe.... ;)

briskly

Sound absorption is mainly an extensive property; it depends mostly on how the material is packed together to permit air to flow and meander. Open-cell foams aren't necessarily inferior per unit space, although for the dollar they probably will be.
Going by the link provided, their cellulose panel does not seem much less effective at absorbing sound than fiberglass. This is assuming the testing conditions are identical.

Top Bottom