• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cell phones w removable batteries?

egellings

Major Contributor
I have a no-name cellphone and I run the battery down no lower than about 30% and charge it no higher than about 80% SoC. I have yet to require a replacement for it after several years of use.

OP
D

Destination: Moon

I have a no-name cellphone and I run the battery down no lower than about 30% and charge it no higher than about 80% SoC. I have yet to require a replacement for it after several years of use.

I've been amazed how well these Li polymer batteries hold up if you treat them right. I have an 11 year old Iportable ICOM Marine radio I used for Sea Kayak adventures. I don't know if I'd trust it with my life today but it still charges to 8.2 volts and use it every week lately to monitor NOAA weather alerts for severe weather.
Same is true for our e bike batteries. 5 years old and still like new from what I can tell. I drain them to 65 percent and store them in the fridge during the off season

600_OHM

I finally had to upgrade my user-replaceable battery phone with a new one that is not, so I simply follow my old techniques:

1) Turn OFF phone before doing a major recharge. (which means not forgetting to turn it back on later!) It's actually bad (less efficient) for the battery to be discharging and charging at the same time - albeit for many this is too inconvenient.

2) If I *do* let it charge to 100% full - that's ok, but I don't let it sit fully charged for long. At the very least, I'll turn the phone on again for 10 minutes or so, just to get the charge "off the top", and turn it off again before going to sleep.. I've got manual alarm clocks.

3) And like everyone else, I try not to drain it all the way before recharging.

4) If I don't actually need the phone for a few hours - I turn it off. Gives the battery some rest from being in either a perpetual state of charge or discharge. I think the chemical reaction likes to chill out once in awhile and just be idle like I am. :)

So yeah, I power cycle quite a bit. And run the risk of forgetting to turn it back on of course.

Digital_Thor

I bought a second hand Sony Xperia 5 II, after loving my Xperia Z5 compact for around 6 years. Quite a jump from Android 7 to 12 and the screen size is "only" longer. But my main concern was still the battery. The Z5 did well - and luckily the new does as well.

I do love the idea of being able to repair everything. But if my current Xperia last like the old one.... it's not going to keep me up at night.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sealed batteries are one of my pet hates, I've stopped buying some electronic gear as I got sick of perfectly good stuff becoming useless because battery life tanks and then it becomes clear that financially people may as well just buy new. Yes, it gives designers more freedom, can reduce form factor and weight etc but it also promotes waste at a time when we're being bombarded with demands to emit and waste less. I think wireless headphones and IEMs are great as being free of wire is great and there are good arguments for integrating the amplifier with the headphone but I hate throwing perfectly good headphones into E-waste bins (and this is without considering that these things are invariably repair by exchange, not so bad when in warranty but worth noting given warranty may only be 12 months depending where you live). Most of these things would still be perfectly fine in terms of weight and size if designed for user replaceable batteries. However from a commercial perspective there are very obvious attractions from building in a finite life.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
"We" want thin devices -- so, by extension, "we" don't want removable batteries.
Easy-peasy.
I hear we want electric pickup trucks, too. Batteries in those probably won't be removeable, either.
;)

OP
D

"We" want thin devices -- so, by extension, "we" don't want removable batteries.
Easy-peasy.
I hear we want electric pickup trucks, too. Batteries in those probably won't be removeable, either.
;)

My 5 year old phone was as thin as the one I just bought. It's horse shit. A total scam to make us buy a new phone every 2 or 3 years..,.. No matter what

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I only gave up my LG a few months ago with the imminent demise of 3G support.

LG VZ7100 cell phone.jpg

Amusingly, it was more useful on the day I took it in than was my wife's much, much newer smartphone, which had become almost completely useless as the parade had passed it by. All hers would still do was make calls; mine could still send & receive texts when we replaced them both.
Admittedly, typing texts was a little tedious on mine. ;)

PS Her previous smart phone was so old it had a replaceable battery :) I had, in fact, replaced it twice.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I initially wanted the LG G8 for the 5G and the dual-screen case. The problem is that when they initially came out, the 5G only worked on the Sprint side not the T-Mobile side. Even if you got the T-Mobile 5G to work on that phone, T-Mobiles 5G is literally the same speed as 4G LTE. Technically its real 5G (Uses a slow band) and not ATT's fake 5G called "5G-E". Fun fact, for the longest time my father thought 5G was killing him and I had to convince him that 5G and all sorts of radio waves are passing through us. Eventually he accepted 5G wasn't killing him.

Do I miss removeable batteries in phones? Yes I do however I'm not gonna limit my overall experience to a LG V20 or something like that. Batteries are technically still replaceable in phones, its just a lot harder. I mean come on, the LG G8 is the cheapest phone to have a dual screen option, and are your gonna give something like that for old flagship phones or a new but slow midrange phone?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I view cell phones as having been commoditized. I have a mid-level OnePlus Nord, it has an excellent screen, 256GB of memory for my FLAC files, a camera which is perfectly fine for use as a carry anywhere compact and runs all the apps I need. There's nothing I want to do with it that it doesn't do perfectly well. I only replaced my previous Galaxy S10 because it was company issue and I changed jobs. Though the S10 was a higher tier phone the only advantage it offered over the Nord was a headphone jack.

OP
D

The difference between my old LGV20 vs the new Samsung 21 plus is modest for my purposes. The camera is better for sure .... But only after installing a camera app that replaced Samsung's native one.

It's faster, but I don't game or watch videos or TV on it. It's brighter outside. But the colors are not much different, the screen is smaller (despite the V20 having a "5.7" inch screen and the Sammy a "6.4" inch) and if it accidentally gets baked in the sun for 20 minutes the battery will be permanently affected without any easy way to fix it.

Top Bottom