• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Celebrity RIP Thread

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
gettyimages-1156421553-e84d7f7e11057e2b00f6c3b40e08be6a565fffba-s1100-c50.jpg

R.I.P. George Winston -

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sad day for real sports. Iron Sheik beams up. Now, I know that some people want to scoff, believing that pro-wrestling is fake. But I'll tell you what is really fake. High End Audio. And baseball.

First, high end audio and its proponents, especially the so-called audio press. Talk about Kayfabe, and suspending disbelief! You'll get more real news out of Pro Wrestling Illustrated than you'll ever get from Stereophile.

Second, baseball. Like Jesse Ventura always said, have you ever noticed how the innings always end, right when it is time to air the commercials?

Anyhow, RIP Hossein Khosrow Ali Vaziri. Never a jabroni, for sure.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Interesting juxtaposition with the Iron Sheik. I know that might seem a bit strained, but hear (read) me out.

When I was younger, going to grad school, I worked graveyard (11-7) at a lunatic asylum (true story). Night classes were usually over by 9... possibly 10PM, at the latest. Because of that, I could go to school, and then go to work. Sleep during the day. During third shift, most patients were asleep, so I spent evening through early morning studying. Also, and a big plus, the IBM Selectric II at the nurse's station was available for use. It was the Mark Levinson of typewriters, for sure.

I found it easy to concentrate in that quiet environment (although the stretch from 2-4 AM was tough on the eyes), because most patients were heavily medicated, sleeping soundly. It takes a particularly strong psychosis to push through Haldol. So for me, it was the books. Unless Jan the Nurse was rotating the night shift with me, but that is another story altogether.

Anyhow, I'd also sign up for weekends (being poor and needing OT $$$). On weekends most hung out in the day room, watching TV. Television is really the biggest (and probably most dangerous) tranquilizer known to man. Two shows we could not let patients watch. First was 700 Club, Robertson's thing. Because when he'd start 'passing the plate' as it were, they'd line up at the free phone calling toll free, asking for personal prayers and such. No one else could use the community telephone.

Next, was Championship Wrestling from Florida, with Gordon Solie. That show typically excited patients, in spite of whatever dosages they were on, and they'd start reenacting the matches. Putting each other into head locks, sleeper holds, and such.

So both Pat and Gordon were banned, for therapeutic purposes. Odd, how things work out.

RIP, both.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor

"For time is running, take everything life can give you.
You know it's there so take it, even fake it 'til it comes true..."

Her sad biograpy (In German language - to be translated)

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Interesting juxtaposition with the Iron Sheik. I know that might seem a bit strained, but hear (read) me out.

When I was younger, going to grad school, I worked graveyard (11-7) at a lunatic asylum (true story). Night classes were usually over by 9... possibly 10PM, at the latest. Because of that, I could go to school, and then go to work. Sleep during the day. During third shift, most patients were asleep, so I spent evening through early morning studying. Also, and a big plus, the IBM Selectric II at the nurse's station was available for use. It was the Mark Levinson of typewriters, for sure.

I found it easy to concentrate in that quiet environment (although the stretch from 2-4 AM was tough on the eyes), because most patients were heavily medicated, sleeping soundly. It takes a particularly strong psychosis to push through Haldol. So for me, it was the books. Unless Jan the Nurse was rotating the night shift with me, but that is another story altogether.

Anyhow, I'd also sign up for weekends (being poor and needing OT $$$). On weekends most hung out in the day room, watching TV. Television is really the biggest (and probably most dangerous) tranquilizer known to man. Two shows we could not let patients watch. First was 700 Club, Robertson's thing. Because when he'd start 'passing the plate' as it were, they'd line up at the free phone calling toll free, asking for personal prayers and such. No one else could use the community telephone.

Next, was Championship Wrestling from Florida, with Gordon Solie. That show typically excited patients, in spite of whatever dosages they were on, and they'd start reenacting the matches. Putting each other into head locks, sleeper holds, and such.

So both Pat and Gordon were banned, for therapeutic purposes. Odd, how things work out.

RIP, both.
I have fond memories from school days, watching rasslin' on Saturdays and Cordon Solie, did some work for The Great Malenko a few years after the service-and met the man-Dusty Rhodes!

robwpdx

RIP, both.
Ken Kesey was also a psych ward night attendant, resulting in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

I did some consulting work overseas. Pat Robertson had a corrupt deal to protect Charles Taylor.

Taylor is fictionally portrayed in the later chapter of the film Lord of War. The main character in the film, Uri, played by Nicholas Cage, is modeled after Viktor Bout who was traded for basketball athlete Brittney Griner. Taylor traded guns smuggled by Bout for diamonds mined in Sierra Leone. Then he traded the diamonds to Al Qaeda so they could launder all their bank accounts before 9/11. Charles Taylor was the bane of my existence and literally the devil.

TheWalkman

I have fond memories from school days, watching rasslin' on Saturdays and Cordon Solie, did some work for The Great Malenko a few years after the service-and met the man-Dusty Rhodes!
And don’t forget watching, Ernest, “Be - H E A L E D!” Angley on late TV after shuffling back to the dorms from a fun Saturday night of hopping fraternity parties.

Even though Ernest sold the most most potent snake-oil of all the Televangelists, he sure could make you smile a 3 in the morning.

IMG_3218.jpeg

MudFlap

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
e3705fff793e3ff2f9bafa6ff49d02b4

John Goodenough, who became the oldest Nobel Prize winner in 2019 for his work developing the lithium-ion battery which allows for rechargeable power in devices ranging from mobile phones to electric cars, has died aged 100.
RIP John and thank you. :(

JSmith

rgpit

Forum Donor
One of my very favorite actors has passed. Can't think of a film much funnier than the original "The Inlaws". RIP Alan Arkin.
ap285299479622-95712a25c4bca768b1ba4db9e758a1dc9ca1afe8-s1100-c50.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One of my very favorite actors has passed. Can't think of a film much funnier than the original "The Inlaws". RIP Alan Arkin.
ap285299479622-95712a25c4bca768b1ba4db9e758a1dc9ca1afe8-s1100-c50.jpg
He is a fantastic actor. I will miss him.

Top Bottom