• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ceiling speakers: Kef Uni-Q or Monitor Audio

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Hi,

I am thinking of replacing my ceiling speakers because I suspect that they might be the reason for, sometimes, not so convincing immersive surround experience.
They are Monitor Audio Pro-65, the cheapest option I could find then, thinking they don't need to be high end speakers for few effects up there, with 86 db sensitivity, 75hz-20hz (on paper, but Audyssey wants to cross them at 100 or 120hz) and 101 dBA spl max.
They have an ability to direct the tweeter to listening position.

My main speakers are much bigger and more powerfull with exotic drivers and there is no way to replicate something similar in the ceiling, but I was thinking if I get speakers with relatively flat FR, slightly better bass response and higher SPL ( aka more expensive), maybe height level will be more pronounced and similar to bed channels...

Since KEF speakers with Uni-Q drivers have a decent FR, tested well here and are considered flat and neutral, I was thinking of that option. You can't point their tweeter, though! But they claim wide dispersion, so I might not need pointed tweeters.

Or I just buy more expensive, more powerfull monitor audio... or don't change at all (highly unlikely, because I like experimenting with speakers).
There aren't many options in my country, that is why I listed only those two brands. There is Dali also, but... I don't know.

There is very little measurement available of custom install, especially ceiling speakers. At least, what I could find...

I thank you for your thoughts on this.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Unless you position the in-ceiling directly above you, you're not going to sit in it's sweet spot.
Kef UniQ (coaxial) drivers solve this problem.

Plus, think about this...what if you move your seats or couch? Are you going to reposition the inceiling speakers later? Umm no.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aimable tweeters are a bit ridiculous to me. Like, last I checked, there's still plenty of directional sound below the crossover in a typical 2-way.

I think best are matching, normal speakers on articulated ceiling mounts, coaxials, or angled in-ceiling like the Revel C763L in that order.

Haint

Possibly a really dumb question and thought as I know nothing of speaker design, but isn't an in-ceiling UniQ speaker (single driver) going to have very similar dispersion to the Q100 or Q350 (single driver) that Amirm reviewed? If so, their dispersion is quite narrow and quickly drops off a cliff. One of his chief complaints was that they were much more of a mono point source than other speakers. I'm not sure that would work too well for atmospheric envelopment, which I presume is why Dolby recommends wide dispersion speakers for in-ceiling Atmos.

Last edited:
Top Bottom