• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ceiling speaker placement

RJ248842

We are installing a 5.2.4 home theater in a room approximately 22' x 15'. The TV is 85" diagonal and the speaker placement is configured for Atmos. As indicated in the attached drawing, the two left ceiling speakers are actually installed about 1 foot to the left of the locations indicated in the drawings. Our goal is to achieve the best possible 3D effect with Dirac Live and the AudioControl X9. Should we:

Option 1. Leave the ceiling speakers as they are? The benefit of this option is cost efficiency, but it places a burden on Dirac Live to perform, and we're not sure whether this type of ceiling-speaker asymmetry is something that can be fully corrected.

Option 2. Move the two right ceiling speakers rightward about a foot toward the glass window.

What do you recommend? In other words, can Dirac Live with AudioControl Maestro X9 correct for this asymmetry?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 03.49.32 .png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 03.49.32 .png
    635.3 KB · Views: 174

Zedly

Forum Donor
Since it's only a foot, I wouldn't worry about it much. If you are able to aim the speakers toward the listening position, then the seats can still get the on-axis sound, and you (or Dirac) can adjust the levels to balance it. One of my in-ceiling speakers had to be installed farther away than the others because of a light fixture, and it has been fine. A lot of the Atmos height effects are big, wide sounds like rain, whooshes, etc. so I doubt it will be a problem for you.

Top Bottom