• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CEA-2010 Subwoofer Testing Master Thread

Ericglo

If someone has the Daytons you mentioned and are willing to send them to me for testing, I'd be happy to test them. I contacted Dayton directly this afternoon with a link to my video and explained many were asking if I would include their speakers. This was the reply:

That is interesting. I can't imagine that other reviewers both big and small were all paying for their Daytons.

Someone from Monoprice got back with me and will be sending out the $99 12-inch along with their 10/12/15-inch monolith subwoofers. Not sure when. I will be sending them back once they have been tested.

Good to hear. I have had good interactions with Monoprice in the past. Unfortunately, I couldn't help you as I haven't spoken with anyone there in over two years.

You didn't say or maybe they didn't. I will be interested to see if that is the sealed or ported Monoliths.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
That is interesting. I can't imagine that other reviewers both big and small were all paying for their Daytons.

Me, either.

You didn't say or maybe they didn't. I will be interested to see if that is the sealed or ported Monoliths.

That wasn't mentioned in our convo. I was told last Friday that someone would be in touch with an agreement form for me to sign (I assume saying they're not responsible, if I break something I pay for it, I can't keep stuff, etc, etc). I haven't gotten anything yet. I may reach out again in a couple days if I don't hear back by then. Been extremely busy with the Revel testing to even think about anything else right now, though.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I was told last Friday that someone would be in touch with an agreement form for me to sign (I assume saying they're not responsible, if I break something I pay for it, I can't keep stuff, etc, etc). I haven't gotten anything yet. I may reach out again in a couple days if I don't hear back by then. Been extremely busy with the Revel testing to even think about anything else right now, though.

Well, I just got 4 FedEx email notices. Looks like I have 4 packages set to arrive from Monoprice this Friday. :)

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Alright. Based on feedback, I updated my sheet to where the FR and Group Delay plots can be filtered based on what the user wants.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18bz7z-xIlRJsC-bw6k4mHkuwv_uiGAMyEhgrTkjwdXc/edit?usp=sharing

Note: The CEA-2010-A/B plots can already be filtered based on their respective sheets.

Just go to the "FR Plot Data" and the "Total Group Delay Data" sheets and filter. When you do that, the "FR Plot" and "Total Group Delay Plot" sheets will reflect what you filtered on. This isn't perfect ... ideally, having one sheet to filter down and have both plots update would be best that makes keeping up with things a bit more of a pain for me.

Anyway, it'll be useful when the list grows and someone wants to sort down on specific speakers to directly compare without having a whole bunch of other lines blocking the view.

For example, filtering the data down to the Polk vs the Elac gets you this FR:

1600963171525.png

and the Polk vs the Elac group delay:

1600963230461.png

hex168

Alright. Based on feedback, I updated my sheet to where the FR and Group Delay plots can be filtered based on what the user wants.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18bz7z-xIlRJsC-bw6k4mHkuwv_uiGAMyEhgrTkjwdXc/edit?usp=sharing

Note: The CEA-2010-A/B plots can already be filtered based on their respective sheets.

Just go to the "FR Plot Data" and the "Total Group Delay Data" sheets and filter. When you do that, the "FR Plot" and "Total Group Delay Plot" sheets will reflect what you filtered on. This isn't perfect ... ideally, having one sheet to filter down and have both plots update would be best that makes keeping up with things a bit more of a pain for me.

Anyway, it'll be useful when the list grows and someone wants to sort down on specific speakers to directly compare without having a whole bunch of other lines blocking the view.

For example, filtering the data down to the Polk vs the Elac gets you this FR:

View attachment 84609

and the Polk vs the Elac group delay:

View attachment 84610
First, thank you for the excellent work you are doing! Question: can you easily display harmonic distortion on the frequency response graph, in a manner comparable to your, or Amir's, speaker reviews? Even one level, say 96dB/1m, would be indicative. I'm thinking of it as a tool to help optimize the crossover point to the main speakers. There are other considerations, for sure, but it could help.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I can try to do that. As it is, I just use a 0.50v and a 1.00v input sweep to generate the FR data and I have the HD data for that, but they aren't all at the same output level since they are all powered and 0.50v results in different outputs thanks to their differing gain structure and driver sensitivities. And then there is the fact that the rolloff is different from design to design. So, it'll be a bit more work to get all tests at the same level at a specific frequency. I'll consider it, though.

But, if I forget, the CEA-2010-B data should be a good indicator for what you're needing.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Like you've said, most people are usually looking within a certain price range for subs, any way to have the sheet be able to be filtered by price?
I know I like doing this with Amir's measurements to find something within my price range (even if it is just a sort from high to low or low to high, I can then just scroll to my price range.)

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Like you've said, most people are usually looking within a certain price range for subs, any way to have the sheet be able to be filtered by price?
I know I like doing this with Amir's measurements to find something within my price range (even if it is just a sort from high to low or low to high, I can then just scroll to my price range.)

You can already do that. In fact, that was the initial reason I added price to the CEA results sheets. ;)

Jdunk54nl

I can get it to sort, but it also flips the heading columns upside down. It also took me some time to figure out how to get it to sort (since a lot of the cells are protected), so other people will probably struggle with this as well.

Maybe I am just doing something wrong, but if I can't figure it out (I am usually fairly good with spreadsheets), it is probably too complicated.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Weird. Works fine for me. But maybe that’s cause I’m the owner. I’ll have to log out and try it later.

edit: hold on... sort or filter? Your first post said filter. But your last one said sort. I just want to make sure we are on the same page. It should filter fine. But I could see it not letting you sort because I have it locked down.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Here's how to filter and/or sort at the same time:

Under CEA-2010-A Table Tab:
1. Single click on the position A16 (corresponding to the first header of the table)
2. Scroll to the right using your mouse
3. Press shift on keyboard, then single click on position AL21 (corresponding to the last value at the bottom right of the table) (when Erin updates the spreadsheet, this will change of course)
Optionally: You could just do this with a mouse by simply dragging. Your preference.
4. Notice that the table will be highlighted in blue if this worked
5. On top, go to Data, Filters Views, Create a Temporary Filter View
6. Notice that the table headers now have a dropdown-menu
7. Say you want to filter or sort by price, on the Price Column, click on the button at the edge, then you'll see the options
2.png

8. All table sorting you see here are only reflected on your device, and aren't affected on Erin's original table.

You're welcome!

Biblob

Here are some reccomendations from Europe. I don't really know if they are available in America though:
Jamo C910 (10") or C912 (12") € 300
Q Acoustics 3060S (8") or 3070S (dual 6,5") € 400
Wharfedale SW-12 (12") € 450
Yamaha NS-SW200 (10") or NS-SW300 (12") € 350-450
Elac Debut S10.2 (10") € 300
Elac Debut SUB 3010 (10") € 480

Closed subs:
B&W ASW608 (8") or ASW610 (10") € 450-600

I don't know if it's any use for you. But there you go :)

Biblob

Also, I will use these two for compact closed sub:
CSS SDX10, it has massive excursion, per the spec-sheet.

And if you even wanna go bigger, there is also a 12"
CSS SDX12

Jdunk54nl

So here are some pictures that might help. Really I just want to sort the price column from low to hi or filter values based on price ranges. I could set up a filter by conditions but most people aren't going to go through that effort and quite a few won't even know how.

Here is the normal view:
Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 13.55.19.png

If I try to sort the data by price by just clicking in the columns at the top I can do this:

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 13.55.34.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 13.55.46.png

Or if I try to add a custom filter, the formatting is a little better.

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 13.58.34.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 13.59.31.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 13.56.25.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 13.58.34.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 13.58.34.png
    322.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 13.56.25.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 13.56.25.png
    308 KB · Views: 105

Jdunk54nl

The latter pictures are what I think most people are going to be looking for (with the three little lines above each column) to sort the info. It took me actually creating a custom filter to get them to even appear. Then it really didn't sort "right". By that I mean it also swapped the heading.

To get it to filter, I had to make sure to choose the right option under conditions and it took me a couple tries.
Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 14.08.11.png

Most won't go through this many clicks and I only really am because I want this spreadsheet to be user friendly and work. If it wasn't Erin's work I would have given up by now.

Jdunk54nl

Quick note: Erin, if you highlight row 16, then go to View - Freeze and freeze up to row 16, that should stop that from getting messed up and helps with the sorting part at least.

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 14.48.11.png

Edit* this does create issues with this part because then they still get sorted, but if those were just above the data then it would be frozen and fixed.
Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 14.56.06.png

So something like this and then locking to row 19 works:

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 14.58.25.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom