• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CDs, Vinyl, or Cassettes

Do you predominantly purchase CDs, vinyl records, or cassette tapes?

• CD

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • Vinyl

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • Cassette

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 12.7%

• Total voters
OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
Don't know about this except that bandcamp royalties are low and the major part of the amount goes to the artist. Streaming is probably the worst case for lesser known artists.
Agreed. To the small independent artist, purchasing their album for $7 on BandCamp is financially equivalent to streaming it on Spotify everyday for 3 years.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For physical media: Vinyl.

I hate CDs. (The physical object, not the sound).

Cassettes are so far in the rear view mirror it's not even a consideration.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I still like CDs and still buy 'em (and, occasionally, SACDs, too, truth be told).
I buy the very occasional LP rekkid -- I have a couple thousand (a - painful - estimate), so I'm not really actively in the market for more... :oops:
Here's a bit of it...

Cassettes? Ya gotta be kiddin' me... ;)
I mean, there are a few prerecorded (commercial) cassettes here, mostly dump finds -- these, e.g., are some members of the Hall of Shame ;)

Is that the remastered Kylie Minogue?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was its own art form.

I probably spoke too soon about cassettes.

I still have a ton of my mixed tapes (mostly Funk/Dance) from the 80's. We in Toronto were somewhat impoverished for great Funk/Disco/R&B stations but I could pick up WBLK in Buffalo, so I made tons of mixed tapes. I used to push the recording level to get a bit of compression/saturation for a punchier, thicker sound. I was often the guy supplying dance music for parties. Occaisionally I'd play those old tapes in an old VW Golf we owned that still had a cassette player, but that's long gone. And I still haven't parted with them, imagining one day I'd transfer them digitally so I could pay them in the car. Never gonna happen, I'm sure.

Prana Ferox

I have piles of cassettes. There's no way I would buy a cassette. Even used it's not worth it.

Burning Sounds

Mostly CDs and mostly used which are then ripped for JRiver.

However, since I bought a Rock-Ola 454 jukebox last year I've been buying 7inch vinyl from the 60s and 70s. I've thoroughly enjoyed the whole process - buying 7 inch singles is how I started with music. I guess I've come full circle. There is a copy of the Rolling Stones' Little Red Rooster in there as this is first single I ever bought. I also still have all my vinyl LPs starting with the Stones' first album (mono) in 1964, my first LP purchase.

I never bought cassettes, but I do have a good collection of cassettes from Roger Steffens and Hank Holmes' Reggae Beat International programme which was syndicated on my own reggae radio show in the 1980s. There's some great interviews and unobtainable music on these.

Jflijohn

I spent all last summer ripping my and my best friends CD collection to FLAC... Which I never listen to. I mainly stream hi-res digital (80% of the time) or listen to vinyl.

coonmanx

I still buy CDs because frankly, they are dirt cheap and easy to store. They don't take up a lot of space. Also there is a store in town where you can trade in your old CDs if you get tired of them and he has quite a few CDs for sale. Lots of good stuff. It is cool persuing the record store as it were.

Top Bottom