• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CDs---Grampa's relics?

I detested LPs even when there weren't many alternatives . . . my father had a Teac reel-to-reel recorder that sounded good however (this is back in the 1960s-1970s).

I hated LPs so much I bought decent cassette decks (eventually a Sony 3 head 3 motor unit) to record any new LP I bought, since I knew the store-bought cassettes were poor quality. I still have fondness for cassettes as a result, though I admit it's irrational. But for me, tape hiss (minimized by Dolby C) was better than record skips/scratches. I never once regretted getting rid of my LP collection.

CDs came along and I loved everything about them, except the breaky plastic that was used for the jewel cases. I had one early CD get rot. None of the others have failed.

I have 100s of CDs now and have inherited 100s more from relatives.

While I ripped them and use Spotify (mostly to find new music I want to buy on CD!), I recently bought two vintage Sony carousels (Sony CDP-CE315 and Sony CDP-C445) to play my collection. They sound fantastic! Esp. the 445, which I've connected to a Topping e30 via TOSLINK.

I have even gone so far as burning MP3s I've bought to CDR in order to play them on the carousels. This is in part because some software players don't do gapless playback well.

I also buy CDs because (in my experience) there are many defective recordings on Spotify and Amazon (and perhaps other sources). The CDs serve (for me at least) as a pristine archive I can work from. And they don't take up much space for me (YMMV).

The wonderful, clear displays, front panel controls, and remotes of the Sony players, plus the physical interaction with the media, make listening a much more pleasant experience for me. No screens/phones/whatever, just push PLAY and be done with it.

Top Bottom