• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CD vs hi-res

czt

Hmm…OK, what then accounts for diff? BTW, did you try the listening test?

As an example, try listening to the BVS version of Mozart’s Piano Sonata No. 7, then compare w/ the Ushida version at 16bit as an example…hear a difference?

How different versions of a piece "comparable" on the basis of bit depth(!?) Compare the exact same recording/mixing/mastering in 16/24 bit and you will be unable to hear any difference on any gear.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I know this subject has been debated, ad nauseum, before here but I would like to see a vote on this here. How many here believe they hear a sound quality difference between CD and "hi res"?
If I did “believe” it, it would be just that: a “belief”.

Really, truly, you’ll be better off not worrying about this.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I know this subject has been debated, ad nauseum, before here but I would like to see a vote on this here. How many here believe they hear a sound quality difference between CD and "hi res"?
As far as I can tell, humans are incapable of hearing anything over 20khz and most music is deliberately compressed because uncompressed music is pretty useless in most settings where music is reproduced. I've made uncompressed recordings and needed to do a little compression in post. However, speaking from experience, higher bit rates makes post-production a lot easier, as that noise floor will come up in passages requiring a boost in level. I'm not aware of any audible differences involving sample rates higher than 44.1khz, though 48 khz makes more sense as regards anti-aliasing filters.

Robin L

Master Contributor

Frgirard

Major Contributor
It is clear to everyone who understands information theory that hi res is a superior delivery channel. It has more information content and higher dynamic range, better frequency response.

Recording exceeded the 16 bit capacity or the 8bit capacity ?
Shannon sampling theorem alternative?
Human ear limited new discovery?
How many mics used for recording are over 20 kHz?
The authority argument or the fact?

czt

You did notice that bandwidth and storage capacity keep going down in price ,right? You did notice that? Kind of like power amp watts.

To clear it up: I don't waste my storage capacity and network bandwidth for inaudible ultrasound and dynamic range (meaning I don't make myself the victim of the hi-res audio marketing BS). If you want all of that, of course I will not stop you from doing it.

Last edited:

Frgirard

Major Contributor
No I didn't miss it. In fact I have his book , bought (all high res) program content from him, met him at Axpona and corresponded with him several times.
Please review my posts. I never said there are audible differences. But 16 /44 is arbitrary and there are better things now. Dr. Mark does not deliver any of his content at CD quality except if there is a hybrid CD layer on SACDs (I'll let you check that one).
Read the red book and search the arbitrary.

czt

The red book was published in the 1980s iirc.

And we haven't become human-bat hybrids since then. (But we have much better, hi-res digital audio producing technology to utilize red book CD's inherent dynamics and fidelity).

Last edited:

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a limited number of hi-rez tracks. I believe they sound superior, but I also believe they were better recorded/engineered. They are not mainstream artists.

levimax

Major Contributor
I have a limited number of hi-rez tracks. I believe they sound superior, but I also believe they were better recorded/engineered. They are not mainstream artists.
Dither down your favorite hi-res tracks to 44.1/16 and then try to ABX them in Foobar2000 ABX and see if you can tell them apart. I have done so and can not and it has saved me a lot of money and worry.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The belief are coherent in audiophile world.
"Belief" is a noun, singular.

"Are" is a "first, second, third person plural present of "be".

So this statement is inherently incoherent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom