• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CD vs Downloads, promise to love & cherish till the day you die?

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Yes. JRiver tells me that, at the moment, I have 222.9 days of recordings if I listen 24 hours a day. Despite that, I have almost 2000 discs yet to be ripped and I keep buying more discs and files. (Does this comment belong in the obsession thread?)

I don't know if I am getting my information the same way, but if I just point to albums then at the bottom of the screen it tells me how may files I have (presumably, files include cover art and cue files and not just individual tracks) and it reads 1.91 years.

Wayne

Forum Donor
JRiver tells me that, at the moment, I have 222.9 days of recordings if I listen 24 hours a day. Despite that, I have almost 2000 discs yet to be ripped and I keep buying more discs and files. (Does this comment belong in the obsession thread?)

My justification is that on most CDs there is only a song or two I play and in some cases I buy the CD to support the artist. May not be a good justification, but it lets me sleep..... o_O

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I don't know if I am getting my information the same way, but if I just point to albums then at the bottom of the screen it tells me how may files I have (presumably, files include cover art and cue files and not just individual tracks) and it reads 1.91 years.
Could be. I have 21.8Tb but the majority of it is high resolution, multichannel. Mebbe I am more selective (but for my own reasons).

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
My justification is that on most CDs there is only a song or two I play and in some cases I buy the CD to support the artist. May not be a good justification, but it lets me sleep..... o_O
I do that very rarely.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I do that very rarely.

Buy a CD for just a couple of songs, or sleep? ;)

Remembering you are mostly a classical guy, so one or two songs is the CD...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Good point! I have picked up a few more SACDs from your list and now that I have a new Oppo I can play them again, looking forward to it! No opera, though, just never acquired the taste... Unless Gene Autry counts? :)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Good point! I have picked up a few more SACDs from your list and now that I have a new Oppo I can play them again, looking forward to it! No opera, though, just never acquired the taste... Unless Gene Autry counts? :)

I, also, don't have the opera gene. I wonder if that is common with PEs. o_O

Top Bottom