• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CD transport - bits are bits?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to dig this one up.

Can someone clarify the following.

If I buy a CD and rip it, then play that rip back through my PC over USB to a decent DAC, have I effectively removed any ‘transport’ issues?
It depends.
If the transport actually had a big enough problem for the data correction system not to be able to recover the data un-degraded, and you rip the CD using a piece of software which uses a proper checksum in the ripping procedure to make sure you have a bit perfect copy, then yes, any "transport" issue will have been bypassed.
I am not sure transport problems are that common, the problems are more likely to be with damaged discs. In the case of a damaged disc a ripping programme which checks a database to make sure the rip is bit perfect is needed to be sure the rip is OK.
IME there is quite a variation between transport's ability to read damaged discs (including the ones in computers).but in the case of a computer it can, in theory, keep re-reading until it has built up a bit perfect file.

Top Bottom