• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CD superiority!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The premise of this thread is one of the dumbest troll statements I have ever seen xince the earliest days of internet forums.

e.g., "Things that are absolutely identical are not identical" as in bitstreams.

(Assuming that the OP is intelligent enough to know that comparing different files that are different versions of the same recording - whether on physical media or arriving via streaming.)

And of course, even with a CD player, the bits on the disk are read and become a stream of bits that is fed to the player's internalDAC.

There are so many holes in this argument that it makes swiss cheese look like a solid block of cheddar.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
But not enough to explain, it seems...
You are unable to grasp the deep understanding.

But seriously, if you use something like the standard Amazon stream, it is indeed data compressed. And doesn't pretend to be otherwise. Use Amazon HD and that objection goes away.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Weird troll.
An interdimensional space troll.

R.gif

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Look, i have to say regardless of the current trends and opinions of the science of audio I have to say as an avid streaming nut that no matter the amount of streaming promise any world platform may promise there is just the current plain truth to any mans ears that such a platform still cannot surpass CD! Even at 16 bit 44hrz a professionally recorded CD has less noise than even a 24 bit 192hrz steam on any platform! Streaming just is not there yet...if we all survive the next war or rumour of such we may see an improvement but as it stands today CD holds a darker background, better instrument separation and over all more satisfying sound than any streaming service, sorry guys, the 80s inventions still reigns supreme in the audio dept! Please chirp if you hear diiferently but i willl say that even my £40 Dell external CD player sounds better than 99% of streaming services at present...
Why you wrote in bold? The mastering, masterise the mastering subtility. Many tried, few succeeded, and most ended up on vinyl.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Well, at least no one knew when you were shagging your wife!
A little more decency and respectful behavior should be expected from a 54-year-old person.
I just wanted to write something about music CDs and their production, since I've been involved with it professionally for almost 20 years since the early 90s, but with such a tone it's just not worth it.
It would also have been a lot of work to put everything right, since your statements about the audio CD correspond more to a romantic view than to reality.
And I say that as a CD fan who owns some of the best CD, HDCD and SACD players around.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But I don't get it. If I have a CD, rip it, and play the extracted content, which is a perfect copy, using a streamer, I'm streaming or playing a CD?
There are so many holes in this argument that it makes swiss cheese look like a solid block of cheddar.
xDD

Daverz

Major Contributor
Look, i have to say regardless of the current trends and opinions of the science of audio I have to say as an avid streaming nut that no matter the amount of streaming promise any world platform may promise there is just the current plain truth to any mans ears that such a platform still cannot surpass CD! Even at 16 bit 44hrz a professionally recorded CD has less noise than even a 24 bit 192hrz steam on any platform! Streaming just is not there yet...if we all survive the next war or rumour of such we may see an improvement but as it stands today CD holds a darker background, better instrument separation and over all more satisfying sound than any streaming service, sorry guys, the 80s inventions still reigns supreme in the audio dept! Please chirp if you hear diiferently but i willl say that even my £40 Dell external CD player sounds better than 99% of streaming services at present...

I have a bigger, bolder, italic font, so I win!

Robin L

Master Contributor

Robin L

Master Contributor
Speakin' as one of them idjt's who thought they could make a living in recording, let me tell you a couple of things. CDs are a storage medium. They are not a lifestyle statement; they are not substantially different from the same fluid ounces 'o' data in a different bucket. To my way of thinking [and experience in recording indicates] the odds are the sound will be the same if the bits are the same. Data reduction al' la mp3? Audible, depending. But lossless streamed from SSD? Has a better shot of being perfect, but not in any way that will be audible assuming the DAC is competent.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread reminds me of a Pink Floyd tune:

sq225917

Major Contributor
I think what the gentleman means is that some, many, most, streaming services aren't using the full fat original cd release master.

No shit sherlock

sonci99

My thoughts exactly. It may be all placebo though, the ceremony of putting a cd in the drawer and listening to it, as an album in full.
But it might be also some technical thing, even 30 years cd players sound spectacular, there are no cables, network protocols, softwares, hard drives etc. Just a plastic disc that spins and a fifo buffer.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What if you stream a CD? Does the background get less dark?
Not during daylight hours. ;)
No sir, what's BS is just about every single word you've written in this thread.

If a streamer gets the same file as would come from a ripped CD, either will sound exactly the same if played on the same component stack.

DR compression didn't start with, and wasn't intended for streaming. That's a whole different subject who's existence really has no relation to streaming.

The name of this site is Audio Science Review. We use measurements and scientifically controlled listening sessions to produce verifiable data to evaluate system performance. You've been asked repeatedly to produce evidence to support your claims on sound quality but as yet have offered us zilch, nada, nothing.
Please be gentleman enough to either put up or shut up.
TIA

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Low pay and poor benefits mean we can't attract creative and high-quality trolls, we can only get entry-level trolls. That's quite sad.

No, he's right...we haven't had a troll worthy of the name for some time now.

I think we've gotten enough from this troll-ish thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom