• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CD superiority!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem of almost all streaming services are re-masters made intentionally for streaming, with reduced dynamic range (original DR13-15 reduced to DR9), over filtering of noise, which leads to unnatural, sterile all-the-same sound good as a background for Saturday family dinner. In this regarded, I would understand OP. It is really more pleasing to listen to CDs from 80's than to current versions modified for streaming. 192kHz sampling with no useful info above 20kHz does not help at all.
Heifer dust.

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can trust my words, you will hear the difference if you decide to by an CD player or should I say invest..

DonR

Major Contributor
You heard him people, trust his words and hear the difference. Never mind about measurements. :rolleyes:

DonR

Major Contributor
The one area where CD truly beats streaming is in the longevity of access. Streaming services come and go and may change their content over time, not always to the listener's liking. You can overcome this by streaming from your own local source, however.

Holmz

Major Contributor
You heard him people, trust his words and hear the difference. Never mind about measurements. :rolleyes:
I am prone to giving people the benifit of trusting them until there is a reason to doubt them.
At this point though the red flags are already up.

DonR

Major Contributor
I am prone to giving people the benifit of trusting them until there is a reason to doubt them.
At this point though the red flags are already up.
Trust but verify? I have heard that before. :)

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The problem of almost all streaming services are re-masters made intentionally for streaming, with reduced dynamic range (original DR13-15 reduced to DR9), over filtering of noise, which leads to unnatural, sterile all-the-same sound good as a background for Saturday family dinner. In this regarded, I would understand OP. It is really more pleasing to listen to CDs from 80's than to current versions modified for streaming. 192kHz sampling with no useful info above 20kHz does not help at all.
...and then there are the newer 24 bit 2000 AD and beyond CDs that really are a kick in the teeth to the faithful, God help us.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buy a decent CD PLAYER 2nd hand.
I think many of us have either had or have one now. I for one stopped using mine because like records they were a pain in the ass to use and streaming sounds exactly the same.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone trust these streaming services quality digital files? Upsampling, dynamic range compression, etc, etc???? Redbook cd files I know what I am getting
Yes.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also add that my grammar is not the subject matter.
Perhaps not. But it does indicate an inability to apply oneself and do things correctly and with credibility.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone trust these streaming services quality digital files? Upsampling, dynamic range compression, etc, etc???? Redbook cd files I know what I am getting
How do you know? Are you on the mastering sessions?

pma

Major Contributor
How do you know? Are you on the mastering sessions?

No need. Just analyze the files with Adobe Audition or similar SW. Easy to capture the files during streaming in a good DAC/ADC loop, either analog or SPDIF out/in or in a digital I/O loop. I know what I am speaking about.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No need. Just analyze the files with Adobe Audition or similar SW. Easy to capture the files during streaming in a good DAC/ADC loop, either analog or SPDIF out/in or in a digital I/O loop. I know what I am speaking about.

Would you please post the proof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom