• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CD superiority!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No punctuation.
No evidence.
No truth.
Come on mate, please read again. At the risk of embarrassing you, do you not recognise a full stop when you see one? I also add that my grammar is not the subject matter.

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

What if you stream a CD? Does the background get less dark?
No. A CD is recorded without multi use background transport so the traffic of user is negligible. It is also an end product and not a medium for such hence a darker or quiet background between instruments.

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

I don't understand what you do not like. Streaming platforms, playing files without a phisical support (even if stored on your own domestic NAS or pc), any digital audio format but 16/44?
There is no such thing as superiority without physical support today.

threni

Major Contributor
No. A CD is recorded without multi use background transport so the traffic of user is negligible. It is also an end product and not a medium for such hence a darker or quiet background between instruments.
A CD is simply a container for digital data. Of course you can stream it. How could you possibly imagine otherwise?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The same data through the same dac sounds identical to me.
Keith

Holmz

Major Contributor
I would disagree.

+2 (1 for 216 to 24 bit and another for 44.1 to 192 kHz)

There is a valid reason why the players are still being made.

The best one is that it does not require an internet connection.

In regards to CD almost all that have been professionally made since the 80s. I am 54 years old and can assure you of a very diverse musical history and have tested every current streaming platform known to man apart from MQA and can with assurance that they cannot match the quality of CD due to the general mass coverage alone compared to the individuality that can be achieved via CD, streaming is just too damn noisy regardless of how much shielding the highest audiophile my spend in avoiding.

What are you shielding against? A cyber attack?
And where is the noise coming in? and how is it coming in?

One could compare the bit of the stream with the bits of a CD … I suppose.

There is no such thing as superiority without physical support today.

Can you rePhase ^that^ - I am not getting your meaning.

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

+2 (1 for 216 to 24 bit and another for 44.1 to 192 kHz)

The best one is that it does not require an internet connection.

What are you shielding against? A cyber attack?
And where is the noise coming in? and how is it coming in?

One could compare the bit of the stream with the bits of a CD … I suppose.

Can you rePhase ^that^ - I am not getting your meaning.
I haven't even mentioned 24 bit CD yet....

Triliza

Forum Donor
Where does the streaming services get their music, I thought they got exactly the same content you got on your CDs, how can they be different in any way? Are you talking about remastering/resampling, MQA and such?

Holmz

Major Contributor
I haven't even mentioned 24 bit CD yet....

Ok, but please don’t start now…

You made a claim that is unsupported in theory.
So to get to some truth, you need some example of how streaming itself can degrade a superior bit depth and simple rate, to become worse.

Talking about “blackness of the sound” is not really sufficent to be anything other than “story-time”.

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

The reason why vinyl was crushed is via clarity and longevity of personal physical product. Again, that is something streaming regardless of boast can never offer at this point in time.

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

Ok, but please don’t start now…

You made a claim that is unsupported in theory.
So to get to some truth, you need some example of how streaming itself can degrade a superior bit depth and simple rate, to become worse.
Simple. Mass occupancy and expenditure on separation from such.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Simple. Mass occupancy.

Sounds like the Vatican?
(or some quantum shell deal?)

You can stream and buffer the stiuff for a second, and then what is mass occupancy?
(One is not hearing the voices and paper rustling of the other people who are listening to the same song.)

It is either a multicast or direct distribution of the digital content, and the small number of bits/sec are a lot lower than the gigabit speeds of internet.

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

Sounds like the Vatican?
(or some quantum shell deal?)

You can stream and buffer the stiuff for a second, and then what is mass occupancy?
(One is not hearing the voices and paper rustling of the other people who are listening to the same song.)

It is either a multicast or direct distribution of the digital content, and the small number of bits/sec are a lot lower than the gigabit speeds of internet.
Vatican..no thankyou. Simple laws of nature.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does the highlighted mean? What is a background transport?

You seem to have switched from observation (subjective) to explanation (objective) of a phenomenon. You may have to explain the science behind your explanations. Otherwise, your behaviour will be seen as trolling.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The reason why vinyl was crushed is via clarity and longevity of personal physical product. Again, that is something streaming regardless of boast can never offer at this point in time.
What has this got to do with your original post?

pma

Major Contributor
The problem of almost all streaming services are re-masters made intentionally for streaming, with reduced dynamic range (original DR13-15 reduced to DR9), over filtering of noise, which leads to unnatural, sterile all-the-same sound good as a background for Saturday family dinner. In this regarded, I would understand OP. It is really more pleasing to listen to CDs from 80's than to current versions modified for streaming. 192kHz sampling with no useful info above 20kHz does not help at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom