• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cd Player Coax to Dac vs Computer USB

Fregly

I am between computer set ups right now and have my new Topping Dx3 hooked up to an old Sony CD player. It's a wayback machine; the remote the size of a brick. Technically though, is there really a difference in sound going to usb? Or is this audiophile induced perception. Are most transports a wash? I have never really done a comparison.

sonci

I am between computer set ups right now and have my new Topping Dx3 hooked up to an old Sony CD player. It's a wayback machine; the remote the size of a brick. Technically though, is there really a difference in sound going to usb? Or is this audiophile induced perception. Are most transports a wash? I have never really done a comparison.
What about the cd player analog out, can you compare to the dac. If it's an ES cd player, hardly the Topping can sound better..

vitalii427

Forum Donor
What about the cd player analog out, can you compare to the dac. If it's an ES cd player, hardly the Topping can sound better..
Why? I guess Topping definitely measures better. Although there may be no perceptible difference.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
By "going USB", I assume you mean ripping to the laptop, preferably in lossless?

I'm not sure if this can be substantiated, but a rip could potentially be more accurate than a CD player as it can apply more error correction than playing in real time.

garbulky

Major Contributor
It doesn't really matter. What Sony CD player is it?

Top Bottom