• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cd/dvd/blue ray + Dac

Paspolc

Hello everyone, I have a DVD player that I use to listen to music CDs, but it has no outputs that I can connect it to a dac that I am about to buy. Since I still want to be able to physically listen to music CDs, you could recommend me a good cd / dvd / blue ray player of decent quality that I can still connect to the new Dac. In addition, you could also tell me how the player should then be connected to the Dac, with which cables, which outputs, etc. This in the photo is the back of the Dac. Thanks to all of you

SmartSelect_20210524-075938_Amazon.jpg

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have also been looking for something like this, including SACD, but it looks like when Oppo left the market the "audiophile" solutions disappeared unless someone knows of a good-sounding solution I haven't found.

OPPO Digital - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer
OPPO UDP-205 4K Ultra HD Audiophile Blu-ray Disc Player (oppodigital.com)
OPPO UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Player (oppodigital.com)

I thought about getting an Oppo, there are reasonably priced used and even "new" ones (well, it depends on your definition for "reasonable"), but without warranty support and diminishing staff for support, I didn't feel it was worth taking a chance on one. But, if you look around I've found reasonably priced under MSRP units still selling on audiophile-friendly markets. Amazon shows ridiculous prices for them.

So right now I'm leaning toward a separate 4k Blu-ray device and an SACD player. Though I haven't settled on either yet. Unfortunately, the SACD support pushes the player prices over $1k, and I'm not comfortable with that price range to play optical discs.

The Denon CD players in a reasonable price range don't include SACD, I was thinking of pairing the 800 series, but Denon saves SACD for the higher range player:

Denon DCD-800NE Single Disk CD Player with Integrated USB Port - $599
Denon DCD-1600NE Super Audio CD Player (Black): Electronics - $1299

Besides the Oppo players, IDK of any audiophile quality CD support in Blu-ray players...

What have you found so far?

Last edited:

Thalis

Hello everyone, I have a DVD player that I use to listen to music CDs, but it has no outputs that I can connect it to a dac that I am about to buy. Since I still want to be able to physically listen to music CDs, you could recommend me a good cd / dvd / blue ray player of decent quality that I can still connect to the new Dac. In addition, you could also tell me how the player should then be connected to the Dac, with which cables, which outputs, etc. This in the photo is the back of the Dac. Thanks to all of you

View attachment 131723

How does the back of your current player looks like? Perhaps you can take a picture?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I thought about getting an Oppo

I have a BDP-93 that has held up great, and let's me play anything. They go for @$4-500.

The 203 and 205 have gotten into crazyland price-wise.

Marc v E

Major Contributor

View attachment 131723
In my experience a good dac and an okay bluray player is basically all you need. I have used a Panasonic bdt-210 for years in this kind of setup. Just make sure how quiet you need it to be in operation (more quiet usually means more expensive) and if it has an optical or electrical spdif out. No need for any fancy cd/bluray player ime.

Last edited:
OP
Paspolc

Paspolc

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210524-080224_Google.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210524-080224_Google.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 134
OP
Paspolc

Paspolc

I have also been looking for something like this, including SACD, but it looks like when Oppo left the market the "audiophile" solutions disappeared unless someone knows of a good-sounding solution I haven't found.

OPPO Digital - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer
OPPO UDP-205 4K Ultra HD Audiophile Blu-ray Disc Player (oppodigital.com)
OPPO UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Player (oppodigital.com)

I thought about getting an Oppo, there are reasonably priced used and even "new" ones (well, it depends on your definition for "reasonable"), but without warranty support and diminishing staff for support, I didn't feel it was worth taking a chance on one. But, if you look around I've found reasonably priced under MSRP units still selling on audiophile-friendly markets. Amazon shows ridiculous prices for them.

So right now I'm leaning toward a separate 4k Blu-ray device and an SACD player. Though I haven't settled on either yet. Unfortunately, the SACD support pushes the player prices over $1k, and I'm not comfortable with that price range to play optical discs.

The Denon CD players in a reasonable price range don't include SACD, I was thinking of pairing the 800 series, but Denon saves SACD for the higher range player:

Denon DCD-800NE Single Disk CD Player with Integrated USB Port - $599
Denon DCD-1600NE Super Audio CD Player (Black): Electronics - $1299

Besides the Oppo players, IDK of any audiophile quality CD support in Blu-ray players...

What have you found so far?

I am still looking for a good product, the ones you mention, Oppo and Denon, are too expensive...i am looking for more economical items.

Thanks
P.

Thalis

Only rca and hdmi

ooof... only HDMI. Also been a long time since I saw composite video out :p

I suppose you can look for any inexpensive DVD player that has coax and Toslink out.

Paianis

Most older DVD and Blu-ray players have TOSLINK or coax SPDIF so I'd just plump for one of those. Some of the better built ones that are cheaper than Oppos are the Philips BDP-7500, 9500, 9600 and 9700. Pioneer doesn't seem to host firmware updates for their older models anymore so I wouldn't recommend those.

Last edited:

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am still looking for a good product, the ones you mention, Oppo and Denon, are too expensive...i am looking for more economical items.

Thanks
P.
How about $399? On sale at Bestbuy, was $499:
Panasonic Streaming 4K Ultra HD Hi-Res Audio with Dolby Vision 7.1 Channel DVD/CD/3D Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-Ray Player Black DP-UB820-K - Best Buy

And it has an optical out, 2 HDMI, one for video, and one for Audio. And, 7.1 analogue RCA outs for Surround Sound.
1621884430762.png
This one is on sale for $149, $30 off, but it doesn't have an optical port listed in the specs...but it does have a USB port
Panasonic 4K Ultra HD Dolby Atmos Audio DVD/CD/3D Blu-Ray Player Black DP-UB150-K - Best Buy

This one has optical output, and 2 HDMI's, for $249.99
Panasonic Streaming 4K Ultra HD Hi-Res Audio DVD/CD/3D Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-Ray Player Black DP-UB420-K - Best Buy

LG has a $69 1080p model, but no optical out...this link also has the 4k model, change the "Resolution" drop down menu to find the 1080p/4k model:
LG Streaming 4K Ultra HD Hi-Res Audio Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Player Black UBK90 - Best Buy - the 4k is on Sale for $199, normally $299

Aha, finally one that play's SACD's, $599, not on sale right now, sigh.
Sony UBP-X1100ES 4K Ultra HD Hi-Res Audio Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-Ray Player Black UBPX1100ES - Best Buy
Sony ES UBP-X1100ES 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player with Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® at Crutchfield - $598
UBP-X1100ES Specifications | Sony USA
Drivers and Software updates for UBP-X1100ES | Sony USA

Another Sony Blu-ray 4k + SACD player, and it has Coax Audio out (no optical), and its on sale $199, normally $249
Sony Streaming 4K Ultra HD Hi-Res Audio Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-Ray Player Black UBPX700 - Best Buy - $199
Sony UBP-X700/M 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player with Wi-Fi® and HDMI cable at Crutchfield - $249
Crutchfield says this newest Sony player will get Dolby Vision via a firmware upgrade...
But, also says this model - $50 off right now - already has Dolby Vision onboard (+coax digital), and plays SACDs like the newer UDP-X700/M does.
Sony UBP-X800M2 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player with Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® at Crutchfield - $248 (down from $298) (perhaps too buggy still)
UBP-X700 Specifications | Sony USA
Drivers and Software updates for UBP-X700 | Sony USA

I hope we find our niche players :)

Note: It looks like the newer model Sony UBP-X700/M is a reissue to work out bugs that came with the earlier UBP-X700 (non-/M) so be careful to order the newer version, Amazon has both for low prices, here is the newer /M version:
Amazon.com: Sony UBP- X700M 4K Ultra HD Home Theater Streaming Blu-ray Player with HDMI Cable: Electronics - $198

Note: The Sony UDP-X700/M doesn't have Bluetooth (for headphones), but there are other models that do, see the Sony player comparison chart on the Amazon Sony UDP-X700/M product page. The Sony UDP-X800M2 has BT, but still has bugs in 2021 user reviews:
Amazon.com: Sony UBP-X800M2 4K UHD Home Theater Streaming Blu-Ray Disc Player (UBPX800M2), Black: Electronics - $248 - many bug reports
So that leaves me with the more expensive choice for SACD + Bluetooth(1-way) + Manual Dolby Vision detection + limited Streaming Apps, but it is far less expensive than standalone SACD players + Blu-Ray player combination:
Amazon.com: Sony UBP-X1100ES 4K UHD Home Theater Streaming Blu-ray Player with HDR: Electronics - $598.00 - No discounts anywhere

Note: Sony UBP-X1100ES has enough oddities and less of the video streaming options I use, so the Sony UDP-X700/M might be the better choice for features / functions and use another device in the audio chain for Bluetooth audio. The Amazon listing for the UDP-X700/M doesn't say anything about SACD's but the Crutchfield product page lists SACD as supported. Gonna have to double check with Crutchfield to find out for sure. :)

The Crutchfield hosted PDF manual for the Sony UDP-X700 literally spells out [Super Audio CD Playback Layer], but if you search for SACD it doesn't come up! Page 24:
[Super Audio CD Playback Layer] [Super Audio CD]: Plays the Super Audio CD layer. [CD]: Plays the CD layer.
• [Super Audio CD Playback Channel] [DSD 2ch]: Plays the 2ch area. [DSD Multi]: Plays the multi-channel area.
But, that manual doesn't say it is for the new /M model: UBP-X700 I UBP-UX70 at bottom of cover page.

Still looking...even on the Sony websites and AV Forums I can't find the Sony UBP-X700/M new model mentioned or a download for the Sony UBP-X700/M specific manual, I can only find info that mentions the Sony UBP-X700 non-M, so I'll contact Crutchfield...?

5/25 Update: The Crutchfield website/store doesn't use emails for support, only phone calls, but I found a workaround - I emailed a few eBay store's that sell Sony Blu-Ray players on eBay including Crutchfield, and I got a reply from Crutchfield. :)
Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry.

I can confirm that it will play SACD.

We will list it on eBay - it should be up shortly.

We're happy for you to purchase it wherever you feel most comfortable. :)

Regards,

Don
Crutchfield Corporation
5/26 Update: Crutchfield eBay did list the Sony UBP-X700/M, but they listed it at $249 MSRP. I'm hoping Memorial Day sales will offer a better opportunity for a discount:
Sony UBP-X700/M 4K BD player w.HDMI cable 27242921474 | eBay - $249
Focus Camera eBay also answered and are still checking to verify it plays SACD's; they are also an authorized Sony Dealer, and are selling at the lowest price I've seen so far on eBay, $198:
Sony UBP-X700M HDR 4K UHD Network Blu ray Disc Player with HDMI Cable 27242921474 | eBay - $198

5/27 Update: Crutchfield said the only difference with the new Sony UBP-X700/M model is that it comes with a cable... :)
3) I've noticed that the Manual and firmware on the Crutchfield site are all for the previous model UBP-X700 from 2019, and this /M model is a few months old?

"This model has become available just this month - 5/3."

And, the same at Sony's websites - product page and support, Sony only have the old versions for the X700, not the X700/M...

"The only differences between this model and the old is a cable is included. o, the manuals will remain the same."
BHPhotoVideo.com has dropped the price of the UBP-X700 to $179, and the UBP-X700/M to $198:
Sony UBP-X700 HDR 4K UHD Network Blu-ray Disc Player UBP-X700 (bhphotovideo.com)
Sony UBP-X700M HDR 4K UHD Network Blu-ray Disc Player UBPX700/M (bhphotovideo.com)

Last edited:

sailor2005

Get an HDMI audio extractor, they either come with coax or toslink output. Some HDMI switches have audio extractors. My 4k HDMI switch has audio extraction on digital toslink and analog RCA, got it for less than $50 on amazon.

Sombreuil

If I understood correctly, if I buy a blu-ray player that only has an HDMI out, I'd need to buy an HDMI audio extractor to connect it to my DAC, right?

Swtoby

If I understood correctly, if I buy a blu-ray player that only has an HDMI out, I'd need to buy an HDMI audio extractor to connect it to my DAC, right?
Not necessarily. Your TV might have an digital out like optical which can be used with your DAC.

Sombreuil

Oh sorry, I should have mentionned that the goal is to plug it into my computer as I mainly want to use it as a CD player. I want to be sure that i'd bypass the integrated DAC the BR player has.

Edit: The DAC I'm using has not optical port.

Swtoby

Oh sorry, I should have mentionned that the goal is to plug it into my computer as I mainly want to use it as a CD player. I want to be sure that i'd bypass the integrated DAC the BR player has.

Yes. In that case, it appears you'll need to get an extractor. If no optical I'm guessing you'll be using RCA digital out into your DAC?

Paianis

Your computer probably doesn't have an HDMI or SPDIF input so that isn't going to work. If it's a laptop then you'll need a drive with a USB interface.

Sombreuil

Yes. In that case, it appears you'll need to get an extractor. If no optical I'm guessing you'll be using RCA digital out into your DAC?
I'm using a Focusrite 2i4 as a DAC (see picture below), which only has two RCA outs. My motherboard/GPU has an SPDIF/HDMI/Diplay Port out but I doubt it would be of any use.

scarlett-2i4_rear-lr.png

Swtoby

I'm using a Focusrite 2i4 as a DAC (see picture below), which only has two RCA outs. My motherboard/GPU has an SPDIF/HDMI/Diplay Port out but I doubt it would be of any use.

scarlett-2i4_rear-lr.png
Hmm. It looks like that takes analog and converts to USB. Some extractors do have an analog out. It appears that you can work it that way, but that would mean going from the extractor analog out to Focusrite using it's ADC and then to USB to your computer. I'm not aware of HDMI extractors that have a USB out.

Sombreuil

Hmm. It looks like that takes analog and converts to USB. Some extractors do have an analog out. It appears that you can work it that way, but that would mean going from the extractor analog out to Focusrite using it's ADC and then to USB to your computer. I'm not aware of HDMI extractors that have a USB out.
Thanks for your answers. I now know what options I have.

tombot66

How about $399? On sale at Bestbuy, was $499:
Panasonic Streaming 4K Ultra HD Hi-Res Audio with Dolby Vision 7.1 Channel DVD/CD/3D Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-Ray Player Black DP-UB820-K - Best Buy

And it has an optical out, 2 HDMI, one for video, and one for Audio. And, 7.1 analogue RCA outs for Surround Sound.
This one is on sale for $149, $30 off, but it doesn't have an optical port listed in the specs...but it does have a USB port
Panasonic 4K Ultra HD Dolby Atmos Audio DVD/CD/3D Blu-Ray Player Black DP-UB150-K - Best Buy

This one has optical output, and 2 HDMI's, for $249.99
Panasonic Streaming 4K Ultra HD Hi-Res Audio DVD/CD/3D Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-Ray Player Black DP-UB420-K - Best Buy

LG has a $69 1080p model, but no optical out...this link also has the 4k model, change the "Resolution" drop down menu to find the 1080p/4k model:
LG Streaming 4K Ultra HD Hi-Res Audio Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Player Black UBK90 - Best Buy - the 4k is on Sale for $199, normally $299

Aha, finally one that play's SACD's, $599, not on sale right now, sigh.
Sony UBP-X1100ES 4K Ultra HD Hi-Res Audio Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-Ray Player Black UBPX1100ES - Best Buy
Sony ES UBP-X1100ES 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player with Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® at Crutchfield - $598
UBP-X1100ES Specifications | Sony USA
Drivers and Software updates for UBP-X1100ES | Sony USA

Another Sony Blu-ray 4k + SACD player, and it has Coax Audio out (no optical), and its on sale $199, normally $249
Sony Streaming 4K Ultra HD Hi-Res Audio Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-Ray Player Black UBPX700 - Best Buy - $199
Sony UBP-X700/M 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player with Wi-Fi® and HDMI cable at Crutchfield - $249
Crutchfield says this newest Sony player will get Dolby Vision via a firmware upgrade...
But, also says this model - $50 off right now - already has Dolby Vision onboard (+coax digital), and plays SACDs like the newer UDP-X700/M does.
Sony UBP-X800M2 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player with Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® at Crutchfield - $248 (down from $298) (perhaps too buggy still)
UBP-X700 Specifications | Sony USA
Drivers and Software updates for UBP-X700 | Sony USA

I hope we find our niche players :)

Note: It looks like the newer model Sony UBP-X700/M is a reissue to work out bugs that came with the earlier UBP-X700 (non-/M) so be careful to order the newer version, Amazon has both for low prices, here is the newer /M version:
Amazon.com: Sony UBP- X700M 4K Ultra HD Home Theater Streaming Blu-ray Player with HDMI Cable: Electronics - $198

Note: The Sony UDP-X700/M doesn't have Bluetooth (for headphones), but there are other models that do, see the Sony player comparison chart on the Amazon Sony UDP-X700/M product page. The Sony UDP-X800M2 has BT, but still has bugs in 2021 user reviews:
Amazon.com: Sony UBP-X800M2 4K UHD Home Theater Streaming Blu-Ray Disc Player (UBPX800M2), Black: Electronics - $248 - many bug reports
So that leaves me with the more expensive choice for SACD + Bluetooth(1-way) + Manual Dolby Vision detection + limited Streaming Apps, but it is far less expensive than standalone SACD players + Blu-Ray player combination:
Amazon.com: Sony UBP-X1100ES 4K UHD Home Theater Streaming Blu-ray Player with HDR: Electronics - $598.00 - No discounts anywhere

Note: Sony UBP-X1100ES has enough oddities and less of the video streaming options I use, so the Sony UDP-X700/M might be the better choice for features / functions and use another device in the audio chain for Bluetooth audio. The Amazon listing for the UDP-X700/M doesn't say anything about SACD's but the Crutchfield product page lists SACD as supported. Gonna have to double check with Crutchfield to find out for sure. :)

The Crutchfield hosted PDF manual for the Sony UDP-X700 literally spells out [Super Audio CD Playback Layer], but if you search for SACD it doesn't come up! Page 24:
[Super Audio CD Playback Layer] [Super Audio CD]: Plays the Super Audio CD layer. [CD]: Plays the CD layer.
• [Super Audio CD Playback Channel] [DSD 2ch]: Plays the 2ch area. [DSD Multi]: Plays the multi-channel area.
But, that manual doesn't say it is for the new /M model: UBP-X700 I UBP-UX70 at bottom of cover page.

Still looking...even on the Sony websites and AV Forums I can't find the Sony UBP-X700/M new model mentioned or a download for the Sony UBP-X700/M specific manual, I can only find info that mentions the Sony UBP-X700 non-M, so I'll contact Crutchfield...?

5/25 Update: The Crutchfield website/store doesn't use emails for support, only phone calls, but I found a workaround - I emailed a few eBay store's that sell Sony Blu-Ray players on eBay including Crutchfield, and I got a reply from Crutchfield. :)
Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry.

I can confirm that it will play SACD.

We will list it on eBay - it should be up shortly.

We're happy for you to purchase it wherever you feel most comfortable. :)

Regards,

Don
Crutchfield Corporation
5/26 Update: Crutchfield eBay did list the Sony UBP-X700/M, but they listed it at $249 MSRP. I'm hoping Memorial Day sales will offer a better opportunity for a discount:
Sony UBP-X700/M 4K BD player w.HDMI cable 27242921474 | eBay - $249
Focus Camera eBay also answered and are still checking to verify it plays SACD's; they are also an authorized Sony Dealer, and are selling at the lowest price I've seen so far on eBay, $198:
Sony UBP-X700M HDR 4K UHD Network Blu ray Disc Player with HDMI Cable 27242921474 | eBay - $198

5/27 Update: Crutchfield said the only difference with the new Sony UBP-X700/M model is that it comes with a cable... :)
3) I've noticed that the Manual and firmware on the Crutchfield site are all for the previous model UBP-X700 from 2019, and this /M model is a few months old?

"This model has become available just this month - 5/3."

And, the same at Sony's websites - product page and support, Sony only have the old versions for the X700, not the X700/M...

"The only differences between this model and the old is a cable is included. o, the manuals will remain the same."
BHPhotoVideo.com has dropped the price of the UBP-X700 to $179, and the UBP-X700/M to $198:
Sony UBP-X700 HDR 4K UHD Network Blu-ray Disc Player UBP-X700 (bhphotovideo.com)
Sony UBP-X700M HDR 4K UHD Network Blu-ray Disc Player UBPX700/M (bhphotovideo.com)
***FYI*** Sony has discontinued the Gracenote service which displays music CD track information at the end of 2019. I purchased the SONY UBP-X700 and will be returning it since Sony doesn't appear to be fixing this anytime soon.

Top Bottom