• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CBS Mastersound "DM" (digitally mastered) Half Speed LP's ...

TBone

Major Contributor
https://www.discogs.com/label/367701-CBS-Mastersound

Circa ~1981, early-digital 16 bit mastered LP's.

For either bad sound quality, and/or bad equalization, this series does not have a very good reputation amongst vinylphiles.

I'm not certain that reputation is deserved, perhaps it was recording specific, not certain, I've only about a half-dozen, or so, to evaluate.

They came with this insert ...
1527696586154.png

... which tooted the advantages of digital mastering. I consistently get a kick reading the digital/analog comparison table, which list the S/N ratio as 7.90dB for digital. Obviously, a typo, not certain they fixed that error, every one of my inserts is identical.

3 versions, War Of The Worlds ...
1527697123612.png

Information about the original 1978 recording ...
-Quad 8 Recording Console.
-Studer and MCI 24 track tape machines locked using Maglink synchroniser.
-Original mixes mastered onto a Studer 2 Track 1/4 inch Analogue Tape.

Equipment used at the mastering stage (orig CD) (#91389) ...
-Modified A.T.C. studio monitors with C-Audio power amplifiers and B&W CDM 1 monitors.
-Studer A80 1/4 inch replay machine with Timelord replay electronics.
-Dolby 361 decoders.
-Analogue processors: Focusrite Blue 315 Isomorphic Mastering Equalizer. Focusrite Blue 330 Compressor.
-Analogue interconnects: EMT Barco.
-Prism Dream AD-1 20-bit A-D convertor.
-Optical Interconnect to Sonic Solutions Digital Workstation.
-Additional digital processing TC M5000 Mainframe.
-Mastered direct to CD by Sony CDW 900E CD writer with Super-Bit-Mapping.
-The War Of The Worlds Original Master BASF tape Dolby 1/4 inch.

Dynamically, they measure relatively similar. Tonally they differ ...

1527698387924.png

TB1

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
CBS gained a bad rap/rep for mastering based on a lot of samples for a variety of reasons, including poorly-perceived EQ, poor quality vinyl, etc. I think that was in the 1980's?

If you apply the standard ADC/DAC equation for SNR = 6N+1.76 dB then you get about 7.8 dB for one bit. But the equation does not really work well for a single bit, and of course one-bit delta-sigma converters produce effectively many more bits at the target sampling rate, so the analogy does not hold. Marketing trumps engineering, simply shocking...

OP
TBone

TBone

Major Contributor
Hi DonH, thanks for responding ...

this is a poorly focussed(sorry) close-up of that chart. 7.90dB vs 64dB.
1527707249648.png

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hmmm, hard to read for these old eyes... By "digital master tape" I assume they mean a tape with the bitstream encoded (recorded) upon it. Not sure the point; one way to think of it is that you need need 8 dB of SNR to faithfully recover 98 dB of SNR (for an ideal 16-bit system) at the end after the DAC; normal analog tape won't get you there (more like 60 - 70 dB, maybe 80 dB for a really good system with noise suppression).

OP
TBone

TBone

Major Contributor
Sorry for the poor quality, shaky hand and all ... I will try to post a more detailed picture when time permits.

They claim 64dB for tape ... the current S/N ratio of my tt rig (static, without LP) measured by my ADC, is also 64dB.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
the current S/N ratio of my tt rig (static, without LP) measured by my ADC, is also 64dB.

So you've measured what exactly to come up with that figure? In the absence of a signal, S/N cannot be determined.

You may be considering the residual noise of the system (the TT 'rig'), but if so, what is it referenced to?

OP
TBone

TBone

Major Contributor
yes, residual noise ... TT rig into ADC, turntable static.

Phono gain is set to achieve about a -4 peak rec.setting plyng ave LP,ADC input set full.

Set so very few LPs require input attenuation, meaning only a few lp with high DR clip without intervention. An orig FMac Rumours clips, very badly, but early LZ originals peak at around -8 ...

... supply a rip if interested.

Top Bottom