• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Harper

Has anyone here tried any CBD product? I did and it seemed to do absolutely nothing. A quick google search will reveal the (so called) "health claims" for CBD which seem to include just about everything but the weasel-worded way in which these claims are made seem carefully designed to avoid any legal trouble for the purveyors of these products. I can't say CBD is total snake oil because I don't know that but the FDA has now issued warnings in writing to at least six companies marketing the stuff. The health claims for these products are pretty suspect to say the least. The scientific research on them is ongoing but so far it has not been determined how or if they work at all or which specific health conditions they might treat. I took CBD gummies with 30mg of CBD per gummy once a day for a month. As far as I could tell absolutely nothing happened. One claim is that you don't get "high". I can verify that real good. You sure don't.
Has anyone else experimented with this stuff?

Last edited:

Steve81

Forum Donor
I used CBD a bit a while back. I never felt any high, stress relief or anything else from it. OTOH, it *may* have impacted my blood glucose and cholesterol / triglycerides in a positive way. After a lab test, I found there is drug reaction where it increases the effectiveness of Lipitor, which explained my vastly improved cholesterol and triglycerides. Some data suggests it might help with BG, but my drop didn’t happen in a vacuum either.

egellings

Major Contributor
I think CBD effect is more placebo than anything else. There is no control over the combination of the many ingredients in the oil, and it's not known which, if any, have testable therapeutic effects. Prescription medications have controlled amounts of specific, known ingredients. I see the oil as harmless except perhaps, to your wallet. I pass on it, as I do on all other so-called 'alternative medicines' in general.

Robin L

Master Contributor
CBD is a cannabinoid, cannabinoids should have been researched top to bottom by now as they are pharmacologically important substances. Due to the fact that the bulk of commercially viable cannabinoids are still schedule 1 substances, research has been difficult.

According to the Wikipedia, Lester Grinspoon was an American psychiatrist best known for his long tenure as an associate professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. But he is mostly known for his advocacy of cannabis for its potential therapeutic uses. He published a long article in the December 1969 issue of Scientific America, then published "Marihuana Reconsidered" two years later. Dr. Grinspoon died last year, and it appears that the website he maintained went with him. If you want to research cannabinoids, Lester Grinspoon is a good place to start.

Lester Grinspoon, Influential Marijuana Scholar, Dies at 92 - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
December 1969 - Scientific American
Lester Grinspoon - Wikipedia

Our body produces endocannabinoids: endogenously produced cannabinoids. Runner's high was long assumed to be due to endorphins but in fact comes from endocannabinoids. Researchers in Israel recently isolated the body's endocannabinoid most similar to THC-9, naming it "anandamide":
Anandamide - Wikipedia

The short answer is that CBD---Cannabidiol---is a cannabinoid that tends to have minimal psychotropic effects. It's useful for some people as a sleep aid, and like most cannabinoids, it can be useful as a muscle relaxant. It's also been stampeded into the whole gold rush in cannabis, becoming heavily funded by VCs and, thanks to a lack of regulation, research or standardization, sold with all sorts of insane claims.

LearningToSmile

I thought about giving it a try it but wasn't able to find a reliable product with standardized, tested cannabidiol content - in my country at least CBD products have only become available recently and seem to be more aimed towards people who think it will get them high(and some of it actually might given the lack of testing).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

egellings

Major Contributor
There well could be useful medicinal substances in CBD, a complex of chemicals. My position is that CDB as currently sold is uncontrolled as to content. Medicine is about known beneficial effects of identifiable substances, and control of the beneficial active ingredient(s), dosing schedule and dose size. Buying a little vial of CDB oil gets you none of that control. The oil might or might not help. Who knows with certainty?

Robin L

Master Contributor
There well could be useful medicinal substances in CBD, a complex of chemicals. My position is that CDB as currently sold is uncontrolled as to content. Medicine is about known beneficial effects of identifiable substances, and control of the beneficial active ingredient(s), dosing schedule and dose size. Buying a little vial of CDB oil gets you none of that control. The oil might or might not help. Who knows with certainty?
There may be a number of different chemicals in products sold as CBD, but CBD is an abbreviation of Cannabidiol, a single cannabinoid. It's primarily found in hemp, which has variable ratios of different cannabinoids. That "Indica" that's producing couchlock is probably a strain that has a higher level of CBD than the strain sold as "Sativa".

OP
D

David Harper

I also tried 50% CBD/50% THC and that did get me a little high but it wasn't worth the money it's pretty expensive.

CBD products are not produced to get you high. They help relieve physical pain etc. If you need to get “high” then you want a product high in THC content. If you can’t buy THC products in your particular state, you are wasting your time and money buying CBD items.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I use CBD drops at night when I wake up and have a hard time getting back to sleep. Works most of the time, although placebo effect is always a possibility. Regardless, real or not, it seems to work in a repeatable manner.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I buy more for the THC content, but some of the products have CBD and other byproducts, not that I ever noticed any benefits from those parts particularly. I have some friends who swear by the CBD content for various health reasons, sounds like some of my friends all into vitamins/supplements (something I've never bothered with, my diet is sufficient). Kinda reminds me of a bit of audiophilia, tho....

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
It seems to work well for my high strung German Shepherd. 30 to 45 minutes before we take her to the vet, she gets a dose.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
CBD is not advised if you are taking any drug which says grapefruit should be avoided. There is a chemical similarity.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dude, It works Great!

VW Bus stoners smoke.jpg

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought about giving it a try it but wasn't able to find a reliable product with standardized, tested cannabidiol content - in my country at least CBD products have only become available recently and seem to be more aimed towards people who think it will get them high(and some of it actually might given the lack of testing).
Bluebird Botanicals publishes test results for every batch they produce. Good stuff.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most reputable companies (Bluebird Botanicals, Charlotte's Web, etc) test and publish extensive tests on each batch of their products, including potency and levels of contaminants, among other things, as well as precise mg/ml so dosage isn't a guessing game, despite your claims.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom