• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cayin N3 Software Upgrade

ososlo

Hi,

New member here and, while not a Luddite, I am challenged by technology on occasion. After some research I purchased a Cayin N3 about 2 years ago. I'm extremely pleased with it as it is far superior to mp3 file playback on my phone. I would like to upgrade the existing 1.1 version software with the 3.1 that is available for download.

I've searched the net and various forums and I'm drawing a blank on performing the upgrade. Is there someone that can walk me through a step-by-step procedure?

Cheers, Greg

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

New member here and, while not a Luddite, I am challenged by technology on occasion. After some research I purchased a Cayin N3 about 2 years ago. I'm extremely pleased with it as it is far superior to mp3 file playback on my phone. I would like to upgrade the existing 1.1 version software with the 3.1 that is available for download.

I've searched the net and various forums and I'm drawing a blank on performing the upgrade. Is there someone that can walk me through a step-by-step procedure?

Cheers, Greg
Hello

Nothing really complex here... And everything is explained on Cayin website.

- Download the latest firmware.
- Unzip it
- Put the uncompressed file (.upt) into the root directory of the SD Card.
- Go to settings/system setup and select firmware upgrade.
- Wait for the reboot.

Done!

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I checked my Cayin N3, and it was on Firmware v2.1.

So I went to the Cayin website's N3 upgrade page at this LINK, and...
  1. Downloaded the ZIP file.
  2. Extracted the upgrade file to the root folder of a blank micro-SD card.
  3. Removed my music files MicroSD card from the N3, and inserted the MicroSD card with the upgrade file.
  4. Turned on the N3 while pressing the round button on the front which auto-starts the upgrade, which only took a few seconds to complete.
  5. Finally, I went to the "Settings>About" screen on the N3 and verified that my firmware is now v3.1

That was one of the easiest and quickest firmware upgrades I have ever done!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  1. Downloaded the ZIP file.
  2. Extracted the upgrade file to the root folder of a blank micro-SD card.
  3. Removed my music files MicroSD card from the N3, and inserted the MicroSD card with the upgrade file.
  4. Turned on the N3 while pressing the round button on the front which auto-starts the upgrade, which only took a few seconds to complete.
  5. Finally, I went to the "Settings>About" screen on the N3 and verified that my firmware is now v3.1
Step 3 and 4 are not needed if you simply put the file directly via USB and then go to settings/firmware update.
My music has never been erased during update with my unit.
That was one of the easiest and quickest firmware upgrades I have ever done!
It is.

OP
O

ososlo

Wow almost instant responses--I appreciate this!

I'm not sure where the issue(s) arises but I have followed the steps outlined on the Cayin website.

• I downloaded the update.upt file (my computer didn't recognize the file extension and wouldn't open it)
  • I copied the file to the main directory on the sd card: dragged and dropped it and went through the Windows extract procedure.
  • I tried both of the upload methods listed on the Cayin website.
So far no go.
How are you unzipping the file? Not sure on that procedure but that could be the issue.
My understanding is that the root directory is the main directory where all of my music files are stored--correct?

Cheers, Greg

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I downloaded and unzip the N3%20V3.1.zip file, which contains a compressed version of the upd file.

Once you have the upd file, it is the file you use to do the update. If it is not corrupted, it will be recognized by the N3' update process.

Your error seems to be in trying to uncompress the upd file - which is not a compressed zip file.

(I use Peazip to unzip files, which I find to be simpler and more logical than WinRAR.)

Top Bottom