• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cause of Listening Fatigue?

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is a point i want to make. This site is about "true to the source", and i don't mind (something like this is needed in the ocean of snake oil). But not everybody is into that. True to the source is good for technical point, but if the source is already an illusion of an event, why not alter that illusion a bit if you like it more that way?

The answer to that question is by definition subjective, and not really the scope of this site. But some of the hardcore objectives should think about that in a lot of the sometimes uselless discussions on this forum about objectivity and subjective taste. That does not validate snake oil at all, because that alteration of the illusion can also be done scientifically and controlled and almost never has to cost a fortune...
Never think about it like that, but isn't it possible that some people are altering that illusion like you said because they are feeling the need to, but not for a reason they think about: the room ?
This site is about every elements of the audio chain, up to the speakers, but there's one thing the site can't test: the room
I can't count how many pictures I saw of supposed audiophile setup that are incorrectly placed in the room, with a room full of windows,... so it's not a surprised they are trying to tweak the sound, even if it's not done the right way

Last edited:

sonitus mirus

That is a point i want to make. This site is about "true to the source", and i don't mind (something like this is needed in the ocean of snake oil). But not everybody is into that. True to the source is good for technical point, but if the source is already an illusion of an event, why not alter that illusion a bit if you like it more that way?

The answer to that question is by definition subjective, and not really the scope of this site. But some of the hardcore objectives should think about that in a lot of the sometimes uselless discussions on this forum about objectivity and subjective taste. That does not validate snake oil at all, because that alteration of the illusion can also be done scientifically and controlled and almost never has to cost a fortune...
My idea of the "source" is with the digital audio signal. It is that simple, and it is measurable. The output that I listen to is a totally subjective experience and depends on numerous factors including such things as the room and speakers. Being "true to the source" would not mean what I hear, but whether the audio signal was being recreated authentically.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"Cause of Listening Fatigue?"

Irritation.

Could be a genre, performance, recording, level, arrangement, distortion, noise, interruptions, whatever irritates me at the moment that I find myself fatigued.

Top Bottom