• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Catalogue of blind tests

MAB

Major Contributor
I hear what you are saying, logically it makes sense. On the other hand, it's hard to believe there are so many companies, and even within one company there are so many amp products, and they will all sound the same? They dont advertise as just 'more features', but that the sound is superior
They really do sound the same. I linked a classic tests where amps from Pioneer mid-fi to Levinson, Futterman, etc. were indistinguishable among believers and skeptics of amp-differences.
This study came out when I was in sales at a store that sold one of the amps in the test. The results didn't surprise me since I could never tell what amp was hooked up to a speaker unless I peeked at the setup.

The inverse is true: tell people that there is a difference in two setups when there is not. After listening ask them which setup is better and they will hallucinate differences.
This is how audio tweaks like boxes of dirt and crystals and pyramids are sold.

Recently linked in this thread is an AES paper that summarizes many studies. It should also comprehensively answer your question. The paper is AES and is $30, but money well spent for many people compared to the money some people throw at amps thinking there is a night and day difference.
Examples where amps are distinguishable exist... Amps with high output impedance driving low-impedance speakers. Amps with high noise floor driving efficient speakers. Broken amps. But these are corner cases.

In summary, we are not just saying this. It is actually demonstrated in studies over and over, since several decades ago. If this was medical, the claims that bad sound occurs from cheap amps would (hopefully) have been struck down ages ago. But then bad sound never harmed anybody.

Top Bottom