• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cat News?

Dumdum

FBB39D5D-B95B-4CDA-BA1B-369A824D16BE.jpeg

Lucy says she needs to meet her public!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good idea. A magazine like Stereophile? It's heavy enough with ads it shouldn't get blown away by a gust of wind...
My mate loosely wraps HD foil around a rolled newspaper page and stuffs them where Spooks don't belong.
Can't train a cat?
I can't help but ask if "training" cats for such tricks can be considered cruelty...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mirrors, Cats, Red-dots and Self-awareness:oops: connected?
They assume reflection in mirror is another cat (on the other side), they fail the red-dot test and they are NOT self-aware.
--------------------------------------
ADD:
Self awareness is a measure of intelligence in the animal kingdom.
Yet most living species on the planet do not possess it.
Of the hundreds of animals tested so far, only 10 animals (to date) have been proven to have any measurable degree of self awareness.

They are:
  1. Humans
  2. Orangutans
  3. Chimpanzees
  4. Gorillas
  5. Bottlenose Dolphins
  6. Elephants
  7. Orcas
  8. Bonobos
  9. Rhesus Macaques
  10. European Magpies
From <https://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/10-animals-with-self-awareness.html>

Attachments

• 1653001943200.jpeg
    1653001943200.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I can't help but ask if "training" cats for such tricks can be considered cruelty...

My own careful analysis of the situation indicates these cats are willing participants, distinct from other cats summarily rejected for this entertainment chore, which were not equivalently inclined, so, I can't help but think the nice ladies are, at least in part, just indulging the cats own masochistic persuasions.

Did you know (some? most?) cats enjoy a good spanking?

Look it up. It's a thing.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My own careful analysis of the situation indicates these cats are willing participants, distinct from other cats summarily rejected for this entertainment chore, which were not equivalently inclined, so, I can't help but think the nice ladies are, at least in part, just indulging the cats own masochistic persuasions.

Look it up. It's a thing.
I can tell you from " much" experience.. (Many cats(15+) over 2 decades).. Cats don't do: "because human says so".... cats do " because i love my human"...this is pretty universal...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't ask me to prove it but I think there are some glands near cats' tailbone base (between the pelvis ends), which excites the feline; if lightly tapped... but don't... the cat may gouge your eyes out while you are sleeping.:oops:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Mirrors, Cats, Red-dots and Self-awareness:oops: connected?
They assume reflection in mirror is another cat (on the other side), they fail the red-dot test and they are NOT self-aware.
--------------------------------------
ADD:
Self awareness is a measure of intelligence in the animal kingdom.
Yet most living species on the planet do not possess it.
Of the hundreds of animals tested so far, only 10 animals (to date) have been proven to have any measurable degree of self awareness.

They are:
  1. Humans
  2. Orangutans
  3. Chimpanzees
  4. Gorillas
  5. Bottlenose Dolphins
  6. Elephants
  7. Orcas
  8. Bonobos
  9. Rhesus Macaques
  10. European Magpies
From <https://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/10-animals-with-self-awareness.html>
I have to disagree with all humans being self aware. I have known a lot of people that I associated with single cell amoebas. Or looking at it in another way, can you run into people who are so idiotic they drop below being self aware? :)

tw 2022

I have to disagree with all humans being self aware. I have known a lot of people that I associated with single cell amoebas. Or looking at it in another way, can you run into people who are so idiotic they drop below being self aware? :)
this is 100% accurate..there are millions of people walking around with npd(narcissistic personality disorder) and many hide it very well (covert narc's).. these people quite literally have 2 seperate personalities , one of which they never show in public, just to their victims.. they are abusive and evil.. there is debate whether these people are self aware .. as a victim it can be hard to tell .. my personal take is these people are so emotionally stunted (generally as about 4 year olds) that at times (most of the time ) they aren't self aware , but when their victims lash back in defense they become semi aware of their abuse, but the sad part is they always seem to double down on the bad behaviour anyway...

mansr

Major Contributor
I often see people whose awareness apparently begins and ends with football. They certainly seem unable to distinguish between themselves and the football players.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
this is 100% accurate..there are millions of people walking around with npd(narcissistic personality disorder) and many hide it very well (covert narc's).. these people quite literally have 2 seperate personalities , one of which they never show in public, just to their victims.. they are abusive and evil.. there is debate whether these people are self aware .. as a victim it can be hard to tell .. my personal take is these people are so emotionally stunted (generally as about 4 year olds) that at times (most of the time ) they aren't self aware , but when their victims lash back in defense they become semi aware of their abuse, but the sad part is they always seem to double down on the bad behaviour anyway...
Might as well include the other two sub groups in that psych category. Those being psychopathic personalities and sociopathic personality.

tw 2022

Might as well include the other two sub groups in that psych category. Those being psychopathic personalities and sociopathic personality.
many narc's(including the one i'm associated with, involuntary ). have associated sociopathic- psychopathic behaviour .. it's literally a non stop roller coaster ride (in) from hell..

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
many narc's(including the one i'm associated with, involuntary ). have associated sociopathic- psychopathic behaviour .. it's literally a non stop roller coaster ride (in) from hell..
I feel for you! I think I've known a narc and a psychopathic personality too. It was hell for sure with both of them. I spot one coming now and I am out.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
It's all good... I have no problems with tangential conversations. Hell, I'm guilty of starting a few... hundred or so... myself. :)

Now... only because I stumbled across this:
finders-keepers

I was making some Steak for the Lady and I one day. This is years ago and her old cat, Alice, was still with us. I had opened the package and patted them off (2 steaks), setting them down on the cutting board to temper while I played with some veg. I turned around for a moment to do something on the other counter... turned back...
1 steak.
"What the hell?" I decried. The Lady was not catching on when I said a steak was missing... something about my declaring the the cow was already dead and the legs removed, so it didn't just walk off on its own.
"Where's Alice?" I asked...
"I don't know."
It's just a one bedroom apartment, so there aren't too many places for a cat and a steak to hide...
Sure enough, I found Alice under the bed with the steak in her mouth and her ears pinned back just glaring at me. I reached in to grab the steak and she just started growling like the possessed demon beast from hell she had obviously become. A brief tug of war ensued.
Needless to say, I did get the steak back as a matter of pride. Even if we weren't gonna eat it, she wasn't getting rewarded for her very uncharacteristic assault on our dinner. (Seriously, she had never done anything like that before!)

Oh well. Lesson learned. :p :cool:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's all good... I have no problems with tangential conversations. Hell, I'm guilty of starting a few... hundred or so... myself. :)

Now... only because I stumbled across this:
finders-keepers

I was making some Steak for the Lady and I one day. This is years ago and her old cat, Alice, was still with us. I had opened the package and patted them off (2 steaks), setting them down on the cutting board to temper while I played with some veg. I turned around for a moment to do something on the other counter... turned back...
1 steak.
"What the hell?" I decried. The Lady was not catching on when I said a steak was missing... something about my declaring the the cow was already dead and the legs removed, so it didn't just walk off on its own.
"Where's Alice?" I asked...
"I don't know."
It's just a one bedroom apartment, so there aren't too many places for a cat and a steak to hide...
Sure enough, I found Alice under the bed with the steak in her mouth and her ears pinned back just glaring at me. I reached in to grab the steak and she just started growling like the possessed demon beast from hell she had obviously become. A brief tug of war ensued.
Needless to say, I did get the steak back as a matter of pride. Even if we weren't gonna eat it, she wasn't getting rewarded for her very uncharacteristic assault on our dinner. (Seriously, she had never done anything like that before!)

Oh well. Lesson learned. :p :cool:
That looks to be a Chinese sausage roll. A chunk of Chinese sausage wrapped in light dough and then steamed in a bamboo steamer. They are delicious and filling too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom