• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cat News?

Soandso

Well, my cat did his vet appt. Apparently he might have Irritable Bowel issues. I'm thinking that might be part of the severe stink issue too. Plus they want a fecal check for any other issues. That is his next visit in a month. They say an every other day pill for the rest of his life me be that fix. He would rather die than swallow a pill. He will eat his food and leave a freshly cleaned perfect pill in his dish. He is such a brat!
Over the years I have given animals with loose stool intestinal problems (edible) vegetable carbon, which is essentially clean powdered charcoal. It is sold at pharmacies and health orientated shelves in capsules as "activated" charcoal or carbon (same thing).

After various ways of trying to administer the "activated" carbon I find that grinding it into the animals food means they'll simultaneously ingest it (otherwise it's messy to fully dissolve in water for syringing into the mouth and just as messy a fight to force feed it when made it into a paste). It is black and the food's color will be altered, but it does not seem to make the animal's food impalatable.

An old activated charcoal bottle here states 1 capsule contains 280 mg. So I would pull that open and empty into 75 grams of dry pet food pellets (I discard the gelatin capsule). Figure about 30 mg of charcoal dust isn't actually getting captured and thus your dosage ratio is 250 milligrams (mg) activated charcoal for approximately every 75 grams dry weight of pet food. This general mg:gr ratio is what I find effective for animals the size of house pets allowing you to effectively dose for as long a period of time as proves necessary according to their consumption (not their coincidental body mass/weight/size).

Grind/crush/smash these two dry ingredients together in moderate sized batches for usual closed (un-refrigerated) storage. When needed then add water to the amount of food you intend to feed at one time (make it a fluid as you find appropriate and refrigerate what is not consumed for mixing into next feeding). If you use moist canned food then search for that animal's "wet" pet food's average water content, estimate the can's total dry weight for a general idea of how many capsule contents of activated charcoal to mix in and refrigerate any uneaten food.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
768.jpg

yc2byanpzlz51.jpg

funny-meme-about-pills-that-make-cats-beautiful

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Finally some good news...

Marmalade's clot (which has been persisting since treatment began back in February) has finally dissolved!

Sadly he is not completely out of the woods as there is no cure for his heart, but at least now we are able to move beyond the immediate danger of the clot causing a Saddle Thrombosis or such. Now we help manage his condition and watch for signs of fluid building up in his lungs and hope that he doesn't have a sudden onset of more critical heart failure in the meantime.

We will have another follow up in two months and with that, perhaps we can back off the anticoagulants a little. *fingers crossed

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Marmalade's clot (which has been persisting since treatment began back in February) has finally dissolved!

Excellent news. I know that sense of relief, and glad you can settle into the new routine without that as part of the mental overhead. It's tough enough without thinking about that damn clot.

Thoughts with you and Marmalade! I hope you have many years together yet.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We became family to a Maine Coon. She’s 7 and a lovely little girl.

Attachments

• 66FF21EA-5BBA-44AA-AF23-3CB9BEDC0473.jpeg
    66FF21EA-5BBA-44AA-AF23-3CB9BEDC0473.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DBCEF591-BDC7-4349-83DC-1D9C6EAA8D24.jpeg
    DBCEF591-BDC7-4349-83DC-1D9C6EAA8D24.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 34
  • EE67B51F-06A0-4519-955D-D43DD04310B2.jpeg
    EE67B51F-06A0-4519-955D-D43DD04310B2.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 42

Andysu

Major Contributor
Bear ventures out on my bike around town and down at the beach travelling back home Bear senses and stands upright in the carrier being tested new larger than previous carrier

Andysu

Major Contributor
Bear and beyond where no Bear has gone before to fur-thest regions of known galaxy at , harry rocks took few hours cycling and also via ferry

348849784_1450255292378345_1082560729234259805_n.jpg
348846233_638859458149254_8148628163848634976_n.jpg

Andysu

Major Contributor
not been there in 4.5 decades it seemed like it took 8hrs to get there about just over an hour
most that go to this location look around for maybe 10 20 mins then start heading back some maybe came on ferry and last ride i think is before midnight ? i looked around for 20min then headed back

sound wise its all ASR measurable i could even hear the ferry ramp and cars getting off and that's almost 2 or so miles away 340m/s ,

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
not been there in 4.5 decades it seemed like it took 8hrs to get there about just over an hour
most that go to this location look around for maybe 10 20 mins then start heading back some maybe came on ferry and last ride i think is before midnight ? i looked around for 20min then headed back

sound wise its all ASR measurable i could even hear the ferry ramp and cars getting off and that's almost 2 or so miles away 340m/s ,
No wind or the wind in your hearing's favor? That's some pretty cool range for hearing. I've experienced that sort of stuff and it was neat.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Andysu

Major Contributor
No wind or the wind in your hearing's favor? That's some pretty cool range for hearing. I've experienced that sort of stuff and it was neat.
line sight i think i can see across the ocean no obstacles to obstruct , yes not bad hearing range . the reverb noise in part of the ferry too much for taking its better on the outside as it , clangs bangs , not sure if my cat Bear liked it , well only 6 7 mins get across other side

Andysu

Major Contributor
Love it! You have very lucky cats Andy.
yeah but they are cats and they can be for indoors stressed up so taking one of them out seems relax Bear ,
i should done this when i had Sooty

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
line sight i think i can see across the ocean no obstacles to obstruct , yes not bad hearing range . the reverb noise in part of the ferry too much for taking its better on the outside as it , clangs bangs , not sure if my cat Bear liked it , well only 6 7 mins get across other side
Yes, I have experienced the clang, bang, clunk and thunk of a big diesel when I stayed in the rear bunks. I learned to sleep that way pretty fast.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
yeah but they are cats and they can be for indoors stressed up so taking one of them out seems relax Bear ,
i should done this when i had Sooty

I think I'll have to get a cat leash and give it a try. Worst that happens is that neither cat takes to it, but a walk outside would be fun.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I'll have to get a cat leash and give it a try. Worst that happens is that neither cat takes to it, but a walk outside would be fun.
I gently attempted a leashed cat operation and the cat was so upset it started vomiting and was really sick. I quickly learned not to do that with that cat. :D Nice cat though.

Top Bottom