• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Casual review of Audiophonics MPA-S250NC

jshelbyj

I created this post because I haven't seen much talk on this forum about Audiophonics. Perhaps because they're a French company? Anyways, I just wanted people here to know that it's a good option.
  • I ordered on Wednesday and it was delivered to Dallas from France today, Friday
  • Since I didn't have to pay VAT, the total cost came out to $500
This is cheaper or similar pricing to the American company making these amps. With ZERO lead times and delivered in two days. Nice.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-09 at 2.37.10 PM.jpeg

The amp looks good. Handsome case and comes in XLR and RCA options. Trigger is on all models. The power button is, HAPPILY, NOT BLUE. It's a cool looking white.

In the photo is my $50 SMSL 36. Also is the C298 which I have returned. The C298 had a SMPS noise that could be heard if you put your ear near the case. Not acceptable in a $2k product, and others on the forum are having issues with the device. Also, the C298 was getting warm even at low volumes. Why is this thing so MASSIVE? I didn't feel great about it.

I really wanted a Purifi based amp, but given the lead time, quality issues, and price it just didn't make sense. This graph really sold it for me. My understanding is an Ncore based amp only loses out at high volumes, and even then is it audible? Maybe, but not worth doubling or quadrupling the price.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 11.35.29 AM.jpeg

I'm happy with the amp and to be done with the amp analysis paralysis. Only real negative I can say is they included a euro style power cord and no US style power cord.

Alou

The NAD is purifi based right ? How were your impressions on both ? Whats your set up ?
Enjoy it !

OP
J

jshelbyj

Sorry I missed this.

I did A/B test them. Very scientific. Had my partner switch the cables without telling me while listening to a Dua Lipa track. IIRC I couldn't tell the difference. Except maybe at loud volumes when she hit a specific note one amp distorted in a specific way, but this was years ago and I may be misremembering. In any case, after an hour of this I didn't have a solid reason to keep the NAD.

Also, the NAD also made a humming noise, so I returned it.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom