• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cassettes Are Back, and It’s Not About the Music

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
According to this article, Millenials are bored with streaming and compressed digital, attracted to retro chic:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...e-tapes-are-back-but-it-s-not-about-the-music

"And yet the cassette is back. In the U.K., sales were up 112% year on year in the first half of 2019, even if that means only 36,000 cassettes were sold. Sales in the U.S. are growing, too."

"As Goran Bolin of the Sodertorn University in Stockholm wrote in 2014, people “develop specific, sometimes passionate, relationships with reproduction technologies such as the vinyl record, music cassette tape, comics, and other now dead or near-dead media forms.” The passion, as Bolin put it, “is activated by the nostalgic relationships with past media experiences, the bittersweet remembrances of media habits connected to one’s earlier life phases.” That means an attachment not just to a record, but to a specific record, which hiccups in a specific place and has a specific rip on its sleeve; not just to a song but to a cassette on which it was recorded as an afterthought.

Bolin did his research with older people – the World War II and Cold War generations. Many of the modern cassette or LP buyers never had any bittersweet childhood experiences with these media – but they’ve acquired a belated yearning for such experiences through some movie or another or the nostalgic memories of their parents’ generation. In other words, they want access to our experiences – a sense of emotional attachment to an object, something hard to achieve with a file in the cloud somewhere coming to the listener courtesy of a subscription service."

Technics revived their turntable business to cater to the resurgent vinyl market?

Will we see some one reissue a cassette deck? TEAC? Nakamichi?

solderdude

Grand Contributor

and ...

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ro-bluetooth-cassette-tape-player-kickstarter

and what you have been waiting for:

202mkvii_main.jpg

https://www.techhive.com/article/3278250/tascam-202mkvii-review.html

there is more where that came from..

https://www.bestreviews.guide/cassette-decks

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes... it is crap but look at that gorgeous Teac !

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes... it is crap but look at that gorgeous Teac !

The TASCAM/TEAC looks very nice.

But for $500, I bet you could get a vintage deck that is just as good at the analog part (but lacking the digital section).

New dream rig: Nakamichi Dragon + Total DAC?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Why ruin the dream rig with the TotalCrap ?

invaderzim

“The sound tape gives is warm. Saturated. It promotes a degree of imperfection, and creates an underflow of infamous tape hiss that leaves the format feeling nakedly honest, which is gold dust for the sincere-inclined musician.”

Wait, what?

I'll admit I've gotten a bit more into records recently but I won't listen to ones that pop and crackle so I couldn't imagine looking at tape hiss like it is a feature.

I guess everyone has something they are nostalgic about but having grown up with cassettes my memories are not fond of them. They are more of struggling to minimize the noise and the wonderful roll off sound where in the blank section between songs you'd get a little faint sound of the start of the next song because that portion picked up the magnetic signature from the part with the song.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
“The sound tape gives is warm. Saturated. It promotes a degree of imperfection, and creates an underflow of infamous tape hiss that leaves the format feeling nakedly honest, which is gold dust for the sincere-inclined musician.”

Wait, what?

I'll admit I've gotten a bit more into records recently but I won't listen to ones that pop and crackle so I couldn't imagine looking at tape hiss like it is a feature.

Tape saturation is a fairly common plugin these days used in DAWs.

And Jack White has been using real tape decks in the studio for this effect.

So it's officially "a thing".

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a dozen cassettes in the last years, mostly on Bandcamp and coming with the digis.

They look super cute on my shelf, especially those designed by Legowelt.

Sometimes I play them for fun.

invaderzim

Tape saturation is a fairly common plugin these days used in DAWs.

And Jack White has been using real tape decks in the studio for this effect.

So it's officially "a thing".

I can see tape saturation being a pleasing sound to some just like second harmonics are to others and whatever it is that records impart but the "creates an underflow of infamous tape hiss that leaves the format feeling nakedly honest, which is gold dust for the sincere-inclined musician. " line leaves me shaking my head. Tape hiss makes it sound nakedly honest?

That is why I compared it to the idea that many people have that all records make click and pop sounds and that is part of the 'record experience'. When a clean, well cared for record on a decent player won't have those sounds.

I spent my youth trying to find tape decks and formats that minimized the hiss.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I can see tape saturation being a pleasing sound to some just like second harmonics are to others and whatever it is that records impart but the "creates an underflow of infamous tape hiss that leaves the format feeling nakedly honest, which is gold dust for the sincere-inclined musician. " line leaves me shaking my head. Tape hiss makes it sound nakedly honest?

That is why I compared it to the idea that many people have that all records make click and pop sounds and that is part of the 'record experience'. When a clean, well cared for record on a decent player won't have those sounds.

I spent my youth trying to find tape decks and formats that minimized the hiss.

I don't see it as very different than people liking tubes.

And tubes vs SS debates have been going on for decades.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to this article, Millenials are bored with streaming and compressed digital, attracted to retro chic:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...e-tapes-are-back-but-it-s-not-about-the-music

"And yet the cassette is back. In the U.K., sales were up 112% year on year in the first half of 2019, even if that means only 36,000 cassettes were sold. Sales in the U.S. are growing, too."

"As Goran Bolin of the Sodertorn University in Stockholm wrote in 2014, people “develop specific, sometimes passionate, relationships with reproduction technologies such as the vinyl record, music cassette tape, comics, and other now dead or near-dead media forms.” The passion, as Bolin put it, “is activated by the nostalgic relationships with past media experiences, the bittersweet remembrances of media habits connected to one’s earlier life phases.” That means an attachment not just to a record, but to a specific record, which hiccups in a specific place and has a specific rip on its sleeve; not just to a song but to a cassette on which it was recorded as an afterthought.

Bolin did his research with older people – the World War II and Cold War generations. Many of the modern cassette or LP buyers never had any bittersweet childhood experiences with these media – but they’ve acquired a belated yearning for such experiences through some movie or another or the nostalgic memories of their parents’ generation. In other words, they want access to our experiences – a sense of emotional attachment to an object, something hard to achieve with a file in the cloud somewhere coming to the listener courtesy of a subscription service."

Technics revived their turntable business to cater to the resurgent vinyl market?

Will we see some one reissue a cassette deck? TEAC? Nakamichi?
Amirm did a test of the Nakamichi Dragon Flagship. It was quite depressing compared to today's standards. I had once in the 80ties the Nakamischi BX300 great cassete deck did not hear any difference with my Vinyl at the time. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ments-of-nakamichi-dragon-cassette-deck.5595/

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see it as very different than people liking tubes.

And tubes vs SS debates have been going on for decades.

With cassettes, the whole chain can be quasi-perfect. It's just, not even the source, but the medium itself which is "as is".

I also have a few cassettes and a lot of LPs that never made their way to CD or digital. I am all for trying to have the most transparent system if we pretend we do hi-fi. I'm not for not listening an album just because it is badly recorded or something. A lot of my favorite records are lo-fi.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
With cassettes, the whole chain can be quasi-perfect. It's just, not even the source, but the medium itself which is "as is".

I also have a few cassettes and a lot of LPs that never made their way to CD or digital. I am all for trying to have the most transparent system if we pretend we do hi-fi. I'm not for not listening an album just because it is badly recorded or something. A lot of my favorite records are lo-fi.

I don't think the people who are getting into cassettes are seeking hi fi.

Getting retro and lo fi is the point, IMHO.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've even re-recorded my Jennifer Rush "Heart over mind" album from vinyl to cassette on my "new" deck. Just for fun.
Is it HI-FI? Not even close. Pioneer CT-S530 deck
8366581777_9e090ed2ec_b.jpg

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I've even re-recorded my Jennifer Rush "Heart over mind" album from vinyl to cassette on my "new" deck. Just for fun.
Is it HI-FI? Not even close. Pioneer CT-S530 deck
8366581777_9e090ed2ec_b.jpg

Sometimes, I find lo fi to be more chill, more relaxing, and enjoyable when my brain is tired.

I'm not always in the mood for high fidelity, wide bandwidth, big dynamic swings, and lots of detail.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes, I find lo fi to be more chill, more relaxing, and enjoyable when my brain is tired.

I'm not always in the mood for high fidelity, wide bandwidth, big dynamic swings, and lots of detail.
Can relate to that. Besides listening into the Hi-fi/ High-end realm my other hobby is to mix en remix deep house (using Ableton, Traktor Pro) with bits & peaces (undertones) from the 70, 80ties. A lot of times i screw up the sound so much with ping pong delay, reverb, high & low pass filters etc (or find recordings with lots of sample abuse remixes) that it sound can be qualified as lo-fi an create a more chill & reminiscent atmosphere. As an example (not suited for Hi-Fi or High End use).

https://www.mixcloud.com/Snarf/lo-fi-funky-tunes/

Last edited:
Top Bottom